Question Of Balance Pilot Versus NNN2

Old February 4th 08, 11:07 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
ADK Skier

Default Question Of Balance Pilot Versus NNN2

Has anyone had experience switching from the Salomon Pilot skate
binding to the Rottefella NNN2 for skating. After checking out the
soles of boots compatible for each system the NNN2 has closer
interface with the ski as well as having the huge wide binding plate.
Not bringing the optional Rottefella 5mm lift piece into the
discussion has anyone had experienced getting better balance on the
ski when switching from Pilot to NNN2?
Old February 4th 08, 02:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Feb 4, 5:07*am, ADK Skier wrote:
Has anyone had experience switching from the Salomon Pilot skate
binding to the Rottefella NNN2 for skating. After checking out the
soles of boots compatible for each system the NNN2 *has closer
interface with the ski as well as having the huge wide binding plate.
Not bringing the optional Rottefella 5mm lift piece into the
discussion has anyone had experienced getting better balance on the
ski when switching from Pilot to NNN2?

I've made the switch this year because I was having lots of pain in
the forefoot with the Salomons, and I'm glad I did. The Rossignol
boots make the front of my feet a lot happier, although I'm still
working on getting the heels snug (they don't have anything like the
Salomon gizmo to tighten the fit in the rear). Anyway, to get to your
question: I do feel like I have better balance, although I can't say
how much is the result of the boots or the binding. I did take a ski
last week with my old Salomons, and it confirmed my choice to make the
switch. There is something to the quick ski return with the Pilot. On
the other hand, I do like the feel of the close ski contact with the
NNN. I guess, ultimately, I wouldn't recommend making the switch to
anyone unless you have to because of fit issues. They're not that much
different, and the expense and hassle are a big factor.
Old February 5th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Feb 4, 4:07 am, ADK Skier wrote:
Has anyone had experience switching from the Salomon Pilot skate
binding to the Rottefella NNN2 for skating. After checking out the
soles of boots compatible for each system the NNN2 has closer
interface with the ski as well as having the huge wide binding plate.
Not bringing the optional Rottefella 5mm lift piece into the
discussion has anyone had experienced getting better balance on the
ski when switching from Pilot to NNN2?

After skiing on Solomon Profil & Pilots for many years, last spring I
demoed a pair of Rossi skiis with NNN bindings. I felt an immediate
increase in balance. This past summer I put a pair of NNN bindings on
my rollerskis and again felt increased balance and particularly
confidant on the downhills. This winter I have changed my skate
bindings on my skis to NNN and have continued to feel particularly
comfortable on them. My foot feels more in contact with the ski and
snow.

I think for highly gifted skiers with innate balance, they can
probably ski on anything. For those of us whose balance could be
better, I feel like the NNN binding & Rossi boot could be an
advantage.

Rick Mitchell
Springville CA
Old February 5th 08, 01:56 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
ADK Skier

On Feb 4, 5:50*pm, wrote:
[...]

That is interesting because I've used Salomon since 1986. This summer
I had a really difficult time using my new Pilot Classic boots on my
roller skis. I felt really awkward and off balance and my ankles
really hurt afterwards. I didn't get this with the old Salomon Profil
setup all those previous years. By mid summer I picked up a pair of
Rossi classic boots and after using these with the Rottefeller R3
Classic bindings on my roller skis everything improved. The roller
skis didn't cant to the outside and I had much better balance and no
ankle fatigue or pain. On snow I don't notice any difference with the
classic set up between Salomon and Rottefella, but have no experience
comparing the skate bindings. For skating I think it would be hard for
me to give up the Salomon Energizer cuff and twin axis which as
another writer pointed out gives that rapid return of the ski after
the push off. However if the Rottefella binding allows for better
balance therefore a flatter ski on the snow thats a real benefit.
What got me thinking about this was this past weekend I did a
Freestyle race in Old Forge, NY. There was 3km with a lot of V2. I was
all over the place wasting tons of energy trying to stay balanced.
Perhaps this is because I'm an aging racer and balance doesn't doesn't
come easy anymore. For what ever reason if Rottefella offers better
balance on the ski that to me means faster skiing.
Old February 9th 08, 01:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Why? Lower center of gravity?

The Rossi boot/NNN binding placed the sole of the boot slighty closer
to the ski (2 - 3 mm?) when I compared it to a Fischer Boot/Pilot
binding. I don't know if this is a critical factor. I do know that I
feel more balanced and more "on" the ski with the NNN system.

Rick