Single Parent discounts

Old April 18th 06, 08:01 PM

Default Single Parent discounts

My wife's expecting a baby (due Sept). Probably, she will stay at home
leaving me and my daughter to go skiing next Feb.

Can anyone suggest UK operators that offer single parent discounts?

Old April 19th 06, 12:12 PM

Can anyone suggest UK operators that offer single parent discounts?

Maybe I am missing something here.

Partial occupation discount???

Does this compute?

Old April 19th 06, 07:25 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone suggest UK operators that offer single parent discounts?

Maybe I am missing something here.

Partial occupation discount???

Does this compute?

Sorry? Its quite literate. What is unclear about the phrase "single parent
discounts"?

It's the common term that holiday companies use to denote the price
reduction that they soemtimes offer to families where only one adult
accompanies the children.

Put it another way: 2 adults going skiing can sometimes take 1 child for
free. However, 1 adult and 1 child usually costs the same as 2 adults.Hence
the need for a "single parent discount"!

Since my wife will be staying at home with the new baby, I will take our
daughter skiing. Since most companies are quoting me the price of 2 adults,
it seems rather unfair. I could take another adult with me and not pay
anymore!

Paul

Old April 19th 06, 07:42 PM

PSmith wrote:
My wife's expecting a baby (due Sept). Probably, she will stay at home
leaving me and my daughter to go skiing next Feb.

Can anyone suggest UK operators that offer single parent discounts?

Try Esprit Ski - http://www.esprit-holidays.co.uk/Ski/

They do single parent deals and special weeks when the kids go free.
My brother and nephew went this year in January and the deals doubled up
so that junior went free.

Don't know what deals will apply in February though.

Ian
Old April 19th 06, 09:39 PM

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:25:27 +0100, "PSmith"
wrote:

Can anyone suggest UK operators that offer single parent discounts?

It's the common term that holiday companies use to denote the price
reduction that they soemtimes offer to families where only one adult
accompanies the children.

Since my wife will be staying at home with the new baby, I will take our
daughter skiing. Since most companies are quoting me the price of 2 adults,
it seems rather unfair. I could take another adult with me and not pay
anymore!

Your daughter will be taking up the same amount of bed space as an
adult, so I don't really see why the hotel should give you a discount.
--
Champ
Old April 20th 06, 07:58 AM

"PSmith" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone suggest UK operators that offer single parent discounts?

Maybe I am missing something here.

Partial occupation discount???

Does this compute?

Sorry? Its quite literate. What is unclear about the phrase "single parent
discounts"?

Actually you don't want a single parent discount - what you'd like is a
child's price for your child with only 1 accompanying adult. If someone
didn't understand your question - and I think it's far from clear - it would
have been nice if you could have explained with a bit more grace. After all
it's you who want our assistance in this matter.

--
Paul Schofield

Old April 20th 06, 09:24 PM

wrote:

Can anyone suggest UK operators that offer single parent discounts?

It's the common term that holiday companies use to denote the price
reduction that they soemtimes offer to families where only one adult
accompanies the children.

Since my wife will be staying at home with the new baby, I will take our
daughter skiing. Since most companies are quoting me the price of 2
adults,
it seems rather unfair. I could take another adult with me and not pay
anymore!

Your daughter will be taking up the same amount of bed space as an
adult, so I don't really see why the hotel should give you a discount.

Actually, children are sometimes given smaller beds. European hotels often
advertise that extra beds in a room are unsuitable for adults. Perhaps you
have never read a holiday brochure. Children's reductions and free places
are quire common.

In March this year, my wife, daughter and myself went to Zermatt. Le Petit
Hotel, with Crystal Holidays. My daughter was 100% free. Free flight, free
food and free lift pass.

Paul

--
Champ

Old April 20th 06, 09:31 PM

"Paul Schofield" paul_AT_sonifex_DOT_co_DOT_uk wrote in message

"PSmith" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone suggest UK operators that offer single parent discounts?

Maybe I am missing something here.

Partial occupation discount???

Does this compute?

Sorry? Its quite literate. What is unclear about the phrase "single
parent
discounts"?

Actually you don't want a single parent discount - what you'd like is a
child's price for your child with only 1 accompanying adult. If someone
didn't understand your question - and I think it's far from clear - it
would
have been nice if you could have explained with a bit more grace. After
all
it's you who want our assistance in this matter.

I must disagree. The "big" tour operators such as Thomson employ the phrase
"single parent discount", which is different from "children's reductions"
which require two full paying adults.

Paul

--
Paul Schofield

Old April 20th 06, 09:54 PM

"Ian" wrote in message
PSmith wrote:
My wife's expecting a baby (due Sept). Probably, she will stay at home
leaving me and my daughter to go skiing next Feb.

Can anyone suggest UK operators that offer single parent discounts?

Try Esprit Ski - http://www.esprit-holidays.co.uk/Ski/

They do single parent deals and special weeks when the kids go free.
My brother and nephew went this year in January and the deals doubled up
so that junior went free.

Don't know what deals will apply in February though.

Ian

Thanks for the advice. Its easy to find the "big" companies, but with not
being a regular UK "package holiday" skier (since I have been abroad for so
long, living in Munich), I am unfamiliar with Esprit etc. I will check them
out.
Paul

Old April 21st 06, 07:41 AM

"PSmith" wrote in message

"Paul Schofield" paul_AT_sonifex_DOT_co_DOT_uk wrote in message

"PSmith" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Since when have brochures used clear and concise English? The term in itself
is not self-explanatory and since someone didn't understand it, and asked
for clarification, you chose to belittle them in response - in spite of the
fact it is you who wanted advice. I simply suggested that you could have
replied with better manners. Arguing the toss about the phrase suggests that
I'm wasting my time.

--
Paul Schofield