Stupid question, but how do I put a short leash on my boot

Old December 8th 05, 05:44 AM

Default Stupid question, but how do I put a short leash on my boot

Hi all,

I decided to pick up one of those short leashes for my New setup. I
want to replace the long leash that wraps around the leg with the
shorter one.

Problem is I know I have to put the metal ring that it clips to on my
laces of the front boot. But, my laces have no end. I have Salomon
Maori boots, and the laces terminate to a "pull handle" so there is no
way, that I know of, to slid the ring around the laces.

I did notice a screw on the pull handle, but I dont want to just start
playing with things.

Anyone have any ideas? I know, its a newbie question...but thanks!

Old December 8th 05, 06:15 AM

"Devg" wrote in message ups.com...
Hi all,

I decided to pick up one of those short leashes for my New setup. I
want to replace the long leash that wraps around the leg with the
shorter one.

Problem is I know I have to put the metal ring that it clips to on my
laces of the front boot. But, my laces have no end. I have Salomon
Maori boots, and the laces terminate to a "pull handle" so there is no
way, that I know of, to slid the ring around the laces.

Metal key rings split open so you can rotate them on.

Bob

Old December 8th 05, 06:15 AM

On 7 Dec 2005 22:44:25 -0800, "Devg" wrote:

Hi all,

I decided to pick up one of those short leashes for my New setup. I
want to replace the long leash that wraps around the leg with the
shorter one.

Problem is I know I have to put the metal ring that it clips to on my
laces of the front boot. But, my laces have no end. I have Salomon
Maori boots, and the laces terminate to a "pull handle" so there is no
way, that I know of, to slid the ring around the laces.

I did notice a screw on the pull handle, but I dont want to just start
playing with things.

Anyone have any ideas? I know, its a newbie question...but thanks!

Get a split ring like the ones used on key rings.

Old December 8th 05, 04:41 PM

Put it in your pocket and only wear it if they bust you. I haven't
worn a leash in three years.. .

Old December 8th 05, 06:29 PM

"og" wrote in message oups.com...
Put it in your pocket and only wear it if they bust you. I haven't
worn a leash in three years.. .

And you're proud of this?

Bob

Old December 8th 05, 07:19 PM

Has nothing to do with pride. A leash isn't needed; it's an old
liability law written by ski lawyers. Snowboard bindings don't release
so whats the point? Most of the runaway bords I see have a leash
dragging behind them. If the binding base breaks on the lift how does
a leash help?

Old December 8th 05, 07:35 PM

Has nothing to do with pride. A leash isn't needed; it's an old
liability law written by ski lawyers. Snowboard bindings don't release
so whats the point? Most of the runaway bords I see have a leash
dragging behind them. If the binding base breaks on the lift how does
a leash help?

I've seen leashes be helpful in exactly two secanrios, both of which involve
taking both feet out of the bindings:

1) Someone hiking the pipe, gets knocked over by fellow rider who didn't
make it back in the pipe after airing out, had a long leash they were using
to carry the board. The board didn't go flying dwon hill, but the fellow
still needed to be taken off the hill in a sled.

2) Hiking for freshies, clipping the leash on before getting to step-in
bindings. 1st attempt at step-in fails, rider falls, board is attached by
leash.

Old December 8th 05, 11:05 PM

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 11:29:48 -0800, "Bob"
wrote:

"og" wrote in message oups.com...
Put it in your pocket and only wear it if they bust you. I haven't
worn a leash in three years.. .

And you're proud of this?

I think he was just illustrating that they're not needed. I don't
think I've used a leash in at least seven or eight years.
--
Champ
Old December 9th 05, 11:47 AM

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 20:19:25 GMT, "og" allegedly
wrote:

Has nothing to do with pride. A leash isn't needed; it's an old
liability law written by ski lawyers. Snowboard bindings don't release
so whats the point? Most of the runaway bords I see have a leash
dragging behind them. If the binding base breaks on the lift how does
a leash help?

I did have an incident when I was just being whisked away on a chair and
we were about 30ft up when both straps on my front foot binding let go.
The board fell to the ground and landed tail first. Thankfully it was in
a roped off area because of the lift.

I believe it happened because I had let the straps off a couple of notches
to give my foot some relief whilst on the chair.

Generally though the short leashes are a waste of time, as they can't be
used when carrying the board. You have to practically put the board down
to get the leash on, at which point you might as well strap in. The only
worth while one is the long version that can be kept on all the time.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old December 9th 05, 01:04 PM

Switters wrote:

I did have an incident when I was just being whisked away on a chair and
we were about 30ft up when both straps on my front foot binding let go.
The board fell to the ground and landed tail first. Thankfully it was in
a roped off area because of the lift.

I like a leash for plates. They're normally secure, but if you screw up
and don't get your heel in right or something they can come off. I use
a short leash with fastex clip, very convenient. Don't hike the pipe or
anything so carrying the board isn't an issue.

Neil