ski resort suggestions wanted please

Old January 7th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.north-america,rec.skiing.alpine
Dave-in-Spokane

Default ski resort suggestions wanted please

Bob Lee wrote:
wrote:

Hi All:

Since I am very susceptible to altitude sickness I am hoping that
someone could give me some suggestions for ski destinations with the
following criteria:
1) Located in the western US, preferably no further north than Northern
California.
2) Base camp no highter than 8,500 feet.
3) Easy access to hot springs, warm swimming pools.

I tried looking in several web sites for this information but none
seemed to offer criterion #2 as a search option. Is there any such web
site?

Wow, you're geting a lot of weird advice here. Forget Colorado and New
Mexico - too high for you. Just go to Tahoe - Lake Tahoe ski resorts'
bases are all less than 8500 ft elevation, and there are hot springs
near Markleeville and South Lake Tahoe, not far from Heavenly Valley
(elev 6500) and Kirkwood (elev. 7800 ft):
http://www.davidwalleys.com/main.html

snip

Bob

Also, something a bit more basic in the Tahoe area:

http://www.alpinecounty.com/grover.html

It is only about 30 miles from Kirkwood and 35 from South Lake
Tahoe---South of Markleeville. I have not been there for a few years,
so I can't say how well maintained it is.

--
Dave in Spokane
Old January 8th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.north-america,rec.skiing.alpine
Eugene Miya

In article . com,
wrote:
Since I am very susceptible to altitude sickness I am hoping that
someone could give me some suggestions for ski destinations with the
following criteria:
1) Located in the western US, preferably no further north than Northern
California.
2) Base camp no highter than 8,500 feet.

Base camp?
Forget it.
You have to trade elevation for latitude: chose one.
Hood, Crystal, Bend. Shasta is low, but small, and there is a hot
springs resort not far but it's not open in winter.

The bases of most of the stuff around Tahoe is about 6K +or- a few
hundred feet excepting Kirkwood and Rose and the other resorts on the
Crest.

3) Easy access to hot springs, warm swimming pools.

I tried looking in several web sites for this information but none
seemed to offer criterion #2 as a search option. Is there any such web
site?

Minus the HS (separate guide books), the Reuters world skiing guide
has elevations.

Of course, I know that altitiude sickness goes away in 3 to 4 days but
I dont have more than 3 to 4 days for a ski vacation :-(

If it's a vacation worth it to you, go further North in latitude.

Old January 8th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.north-america,rec.skiing.alpine
Eugene Miya

In article . com,
Yabahoobs wrote:
Aren't WY and ID basically covered in hot springs ? I know there' s a
TON of em around here.

Bill Kaysing authored the best guide to locate hot springs in the West.
Kaysing heads the Flat Earth Society and attempted to sue Buzz Aldrin
who also punched him out after his harassment.

His problem is that his is nothing more than annotations of a DOE
survey of geothermal sites (so it's fairly complete if not always readable).

Other guides like the Falcon series have somewhat better writing and
photos but you can drive or fly by them and not know they are there.

CALIFORNIA
Many years ago I met a location scout for Warner Brothers who
told me that every scenic location in the world could be closely
duplicated in some part of California. For example, if you want to film
a movie about the Alps, just travel to the High Sierras. For a desert
story, drive down to Death Valley. Need lots of water... canals and
rivers and the like? The Delta between San Francisco and Stockton has
thousands of miles of waterways, many sections resembling the tropics.
The same diversity applies where hot springs are concerned.
Down south, around Palm Springs, you can experience the delightful
contrast of chill desert air just before the sun rises and the relaxing
warmth of a mineral pool. If it's high desert you want with pine-clad
mountains nearby, then fly to the northern end of the state near
Alturas, where you'll find an abundant cluster of springs, many
undeveloped and free for the using.
In between these extremes, California has a variety of hot
springs matched by no other state in the West, some developed into
luxurious spas, others waiting in the wilderness for you to discover.
--Bill Kaysing, Great Hot Springs of the West

Old January 22nd 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.north-america,rec.skiing.alpine
Giles

Steamboat Springs, CO

1) Located in the western US, preferably no further north than Northern
California

Yes

2) Base camp no highter than 8,500 feet.

Yes. Base elevation 6,900, top of Mt. Werner 10,568

3) Easy access to hot springs, warm swimming pools.

Yes. Rec center in town, a couple of miles away. Fed by natural hot
springs. Strawbery Hot Springs just outside town in a fairly natural
state.

Old February 1st 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.north-america
Quark

Thank you everyone, for your help!

Quark