Skiing Chile - where to stay?

Old April 16th 04, 01:11 AM
Vitaly Shmatikov

Default Skiing Chile - where to stay?

I am thinking of skiing somewhere in Chile for a few days in early
August. I considered Valle Nevado, but hotel rates gave me a bit of a
sticker shock: it looks like the cheapest rooms (Tres Puntas) go for
$400 per night, assuming 2 people. Does this sound right? Where do
regular folks stay when they ski Valle Nevado/La Parva/El Colorado?
Are things better down south (say, Termas de Chillan), and is there
anything worth skiing there (I've only heard of Portillo and Valle
Nevado, but that doesn't mean anything, of course)?

Any advice about skiing in Chile is appreciated.

Old April 16th 04, 02:31 PM
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

"Vitaly Shmatikov" skrev i melding
I am thinking of skiing somewhere in Chile for a few days in early
August. I considered Valle Nevado, but hotel rates gave me a bit of a
sticker shock: it looks like the cheapest rooms (Tres Puntas) go for
$400 per night, assuming 2 people. Does this sound right? Where do

Maybe it is in HKD, Hong Kong dollars, or something like that?

Old April 23rd 04, 08:19 AM
Vitaly Shmatikov

In article ,
Ted Waldron wrote:

I am thinking of skiing somewhere in Chile for a few days in early
August. I considered Valle Nevado, but hotel rates gave me a bit of a
sticker shock: it looks like the cheapest rooms (Tres Puntas) go for
$400 per night, assuming 2 people.

My guess on the Valle Nevado rates, is that includes everything, (except
the I.V.A, Chile's version of the VAT) lift tickets, food.

The rates are all-inclusive, but considering that tickets are only $35
per day or so, and I can't imagine food being worth more than $30 a
day per person (which the most I would spend if it weren't included),
the cost of the room is still $270 per night, which is way too expensive
for my taste.

"Regular Folks" has other options than the beautiful people. There are
plenty of places in Farellones, like the Hotel La Cornisa, which I believe
has shuttle service to all the ski areas, (El Colorado, La Parva, Valle
Nevado) there website is http://www.chile-hotels.com/farecorni.htm.

Thanks, this is helpful. $55 per room is much more reasonable than
$270.

Do you know by any chance how long it takes to get from Farellones
to Valle Nevado by shuttle? I understand that the El Colorado lift
system connects with Valle Nevado, but I can't figure out if staying
in Farellones and skiing Valle Nevado is a viable option, or we'll
just spend the entire day getting there and back.

http://www.hostelchile.com/hosteldet...telNumber.6667
http://www.forestal.uchile.cl/bienestar_03.htm

Now you are talking

Since you seem to know quite a bit about the area, is staying in
Santiago and doing daytrips to Valle Nevado feasible? One possible
advantage is that if the weather is bad, we can just stay in Santiago
instead of being stuck on the mountain.

Termas de Chillan, is IMHO, definitely worth the visit, there lodging
ranges from 4 star hotels like the Gran Hotel to Refugios and Albergues, aka
Youth Hostels. Here is some rates for Hotel Pirigallo, a very nice place
with lots of hots springs, (Termas=Thermals)

http://www.chileanski.com/eng/termas...-pirigallo.htm

Pricy...

How does Termas de Chillan compare with Valle Nevado? If we can do
only one or the other, which one is a better pick? Termas de Chillan
seems a bit of a pain to get to.

Thanks!

Old April 23rd 04, 08:22 AM
Vitaly Shmatikov

In article ,
Blake wrote:

I had the opportunity to ski in Chile at the end of September, 2003.
I skied at Valle Nevado and the rate was $100 USD per person per day -
based on 2 per room. This included lift tickets and three meals a
day. But, it was also at the end of the season, so it might have been
discounted.

I am not finding anything under $200 per person in Valle Nevado proper
for late July/early August (which seems to be the peak season), and
that's just way too much, IMHO. More expensive than anywhere I've
skied, and I've been around.

But I got some helpful suggestions about places in Farellones.

Old April 23rd 04, 04:49 PM
Blake

(Vitaly Shmatikov) wrote in message ...
In article ,
Ted Waldron wrote:

[...]

I only skied at Valle Nevado, so I can not compare the two. Try
www.andesweb.com they might have some more information for you. As
far as Valle Nevado goes I can say that the skiing is fantastic. It
is a lot like skiing in Europe, all above the tree line. There is
lots of terrain and some steep lines can be found if you are willing
to look for them. The resort does link up with two others, but,
because it was late in the season when I was there, they were't
operating.
You could day trip it from Santiago, but it is probably an hour and a
half (or more) up the mountain. And it is a twisty, crazy, road with
switchbacks all the way up. You could rent a shuttle, but by the time
you add that cost - you might as well stay at the mountain. But, make
sure you plan to spend a couple nights in Santiago - it is a fantastic
city with friendly people and a busy nightlife!
The people I talked to who went to Termas de Chillan thought it was
awesome. They took the train from Santiago and said it was very easy
traveling. There are a number of tour services that can probably get
you a deal on train/accom/lift tickets.