Quick Binding Adjust

Old December 26th 06, 01:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mike Y

Default Quick Binding Adjust

My son is here for a short time and only has two days to ski.

So I figured I give him my old skis to use. I have a set of 5-Stars
with demo bindings but he didn't like the length, they are 183s or
whatever the length was that year, and way too long for his taste.

I have a set of shorter Axis-X but they have fixed bindings (Marker
M91sc). I can bring in the heel so that it grips the boot, but it's
just shy of where you would normally set a demo binding. When
he 'clicks in' it holds the boot firm, but I wonder.

I guess the question is how much 'gap' could there be between the
heel of the boot and the top edge of the rear binding as you insert
the boot before the fit becomes 'incorrect'? At what point does
having the gap larger than normal start to impact how the binding
functions for a correct release?

Mike

Old December 26th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ

"Mike Y" wrote in message ...
My son is here for a short time and only has two days to ski.

So I figured I give him my old skis to use. I have a set of 5-Stars
with demo bindings but he didn't like the length, they are 183s or
whatever the length was that year, and way too long for his taste.

I have a set of shorter Axis-X but they have fixed bindings (Marker
M91sc). I can bring in the heel so that it grips the boot, but it's
just shy of where you would normally set a demo binding. When
he 'clicks in' it holds the boot firm, but I wonder.

I guess the question is how much 'gap' could there be between the
heel of the boot and the top edge of the rear binding as you insert
the boot before the fit becomes 'incorrect'? At what point does
having the gap larger than normal start to impact how the binding
functions for a correct release?

Mike

Big time, the boot must fit in tightly and correctly. If there is any slop
in the fit the bindings will release too soon or may not release as should
on a twisting fall as it should. It is better that he rents skis than take
a chance at getting injured due to improper binding settings.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old December 27th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Mike Y wrote:
My son is here for a short time and only has two days to ski.

So I figured I give him my old skis to use. I have a set of 5-Stars
with demo bindings but he didn't like the length, they are 183s or
whatever the length was that year, and way too long for his taste.

I have a set of shorter Axis-X but they have fixed bindings (Marker
M91sc). I can bring in the heel so that it grips the boot, but it's
just shy of where you would normally set a demo binding. When
he 'clicks in' it holds the boot firm, but I wonder.

I guess the question is how much 'gap' could there be between the
heel of the boot and the top edge of the rear binding as you insert
the boot before the fit becomes 'incorrect'? At what point does
having the gap larger than normal start to impact how the binding
functions for a correct release?

The concept you are looking for is "pre-load" - each binding has some
compression load when properly adjusted; it's required that the pre-load
be in some range for the binding to function correctly. Each binding has
an indicator that will tell you if the pre-load is in range, but unlike
the DIN scale on the heel and toe pieces the pre-load indicator is in a
different place on each binding; I don't know where it is on the M91
since I don't have my M91 mounted ski here. Unless you can find a
knowledgeable person nearby who will show you the pre-load indicator I
wouldn't take a chance with the kid's legs. All is not lost - often ski
shop technicians are perfectly willing to show you such things. Take the
ski to a shop and ask. All they can do is tell you, laugh, or ask for
money.

BTW, if your son is a larger size post-growth teenager he should be able
to use the 183s with no problem. BUT the demo bindings have the same
deal with pre-load - I assume when they showed you how to adjust the
demo bindings they also showed you the pre-load indicator?

Bye