Objective / Subjective Danger in Tree Skiing

Old February 9th 04, 02:21 PM
Chris Webster

And what about those pine cones of the 100 foot trees....

_ Some do get quite big 30-40 cm. I think they only fall in
the summer though. I've never seen them on top of the snow.

I don't care what season they fall, they look like they would hurt. ;^)

--Chris

Old February 9th 04, 03:17 PM
Tommy T.

We get pine cones on the snow in New England, but they aren't big enough or
hard enough to hurt. In fact, you can pretty much ski or ride over them
without any consequence as well.

Tommy T.
bbense+rec.skiing.backcountry.Feb.06.04@telemark. slac.stanford.edu wrote
in message ...

Old February 9th 04, 03:23 PM
Dingus Milktoast

"Chris Webster" wrote in message

And what about those pine cones of the 100 foot trees....

_ Some do get quite big 30-40 cm. I think they only fall in
the summer though. I've never seen them on top of the snow.

I don't care what season they fall, they look like they would hurt. ;^)

Sugar Pine (the King of Pines) cones are the longest known pine cones. They
would hurt if a green one beaned you.

Gray Pines (Digger for the more vulgar) are truly fearsome and could result
in significant injury if one nailed you.

But for the Heft Award you have to look to the Coulter Pine, also in
California. (I believe Cal has more native pine species than any other
state, by far). These things are armoured and weigh in at 10 to 15 pounds.
If one hit you square from 100 feet it just might send you through the glass
darkly.

But Grays and Coulters don't grow in the snow, so I'm rambling I guess.

Cheers
DMT

Tai Chi Skiing yunlong Alpine Skiing 8 December 17th 04 03:50 PM
Masters Skiing Camps Nordic Skiing Instruction Nordic Skiing 0 November 1st 04 12:47 PM
RFC - The Nordic Skiing Project the Nordic Skiing Project Nordic Skiing 2 September 24th 04 05:50 PM
Skiing in Utah BRL Nordic Skiing 5 November 25th 03 06:43 PM