Canadian Rockies Vacation

Old November 7th 04, 12:15 PM
Martin Sterman

Default Canadian Rockies Vacation

I will be heading to the Canadian Rockies and Eastern BC for the second half
of November. I have never been to the area before. There are a bewildering
number of accommodations. Anyone have favorite places to stay that are good
value. Not necessarily the least expensive, but the best overall values for
ambiance, food, convenience, etc., especially considering early season ski
conditions.

Also, any favorite early season ski groomed or ungroomed ski touring trails?
We will probably check out Silver Star Mountain.

Thank You,

Martin

Old November 7th 04, 03:03 PM
Mark Eastman

I have enjoyed the several visits I have made from living here in the Bay
Area to Silver Star B.C........Vernon is the town at the base of the
mountain.....it offers inexpensive lodging compared to staying up near the
ski area. The skiing is usually excellent on both the track systems at the
base of the downhill area...and in a separate nordic only area a couple of
miles away called Sovereign Lakes. In fact I think they are opened now with
about 35k of trails. If you enter Sovereign Lakes in a Google type search
you will find their website. As I said the snow is usually great and the
trail grooming top notch.

Mark Eastman
Danville CA

Old November 7th 04, 04:52 PM
Scott Elliot

Silver Star Mountain had their official cross country opening on Friday and
Sovereign Lake on Saturday. Both areas have actually had groomed tracks set
for a couple of weeks. If the weather continues the way it is now
conditions will be excellent in the second half of November. They are
already good.

Sovereign has upgraded their competition trails for World Cup they are
hosting in December 2005 and those are in top notch condition now.

Later in the season I would advise you to stay in Vernon or Kelowna so you
could ski at the equally good cross country areas in Salmon Arm, Kelowna and
Penticton. November is usually a little early for the Kelowna and Penticton
areas, but Nickel Plate near Penticton is as high elevation as Sovereign and
Silver Star and should be open.

At this time of year you should be able to get accommodation at reasonable
rates at Silver Star Mountain, before their high season rates start. There
are also hotels and motels in Vernon and bed and breakfasts on Silver Star
Road if you don't mind a little more driving.

Since this is not high season you should not have any trouble finding a
place to stay if you don't book in advance. Sometimes you can get a better
price if you show up at the front desk and ask than if you book by telephone
or internet. Remember that many of these places are looking for business at
this time of the year.

I live in Kelowna so I never use the local accommodation, so I cannot give
you more specific recommendations.

Let me know if you have any more questions and I will try to help you out.

Scott

P.S. The Rocky Mountains are a 4 hour drive from Vernon. They are on the
B.C. Alberta border and you have to cross the Selkirk and Monashee mountain
ranges to get to the Okanagan Valley.

BC Christmas Vacation RR Snowboarding 2 October 22nd 04 03:09 PM
NC Ski Vacation Log Cabin for rent Gary Raines North American Ski Resorts 0 February 8th 04 10:27 PM
Canadian Natl Masters Rick Mitchell Nordic Skiing 7 December 6th 03 01:20 PM
~ A Colorado Vacation Bob Arrington Marketplace 7 November 28th 03 08:18 AM
Canadian Exceptions AstroPax Alpine Skiing 2 October 26th 03 08:01 PM