stepping up to the bowl

Old December 1st 03, 08:13 PM
danko

Default stepping up to the bowl

We've got a trip planned for Breck here in a week and I had a quetion
about bowl skiing. First of before the flames start... I am not and
do to claim to be an expert skiier. I take a couple of trips to the
Rockies each winter and am more than comfortable on blue and fairly
comfortable on most blacks (I suck a bumps though). I would consider
myself and advanced intermediate skiier I suppose. My question is
about the bowl skiing at Breck. Should a skiier of my estimated skill
level even consider taking the t-bar up or should I keep my lamer arse
down where the little people ski? I'm just trying to get an idea if
hitting the bowl would be complete suicide or if it is reasonable.
I'll admit they seem intimidating, yet alluring at the same time.
There it is... be gentle...

Danko
Old December 1st 03, 08:16 PM
Chester Bullock

danko wrote:

We've got a trip planned for Breck here in a week and I had a quetion
about bowl skiing. First of before the flames start... I am not and
do to claim to be an expert skiier. I take a couple of trips to the
Rockies each winter and am more than comfortable on blue and fairly
comfortable on most blacks (I suck a bumps though). I would consider
myself and advanced intermediate skiier I suppose. My question is
about the bowl skiing at Breck. Should a skiier of my estimated skill
level even consider taking the t-bar up or should I keep my lamer arse
down where the little people ski? I'm just trying to get an idea if
hitting the bowl would be complete suicide or if it is reasonable.
I'll admit they seem intimidating, yet alluring at the same time.
There it is... be gentle...

Danko

This may not be an issue because the bowl may not be open next week.
Mikey will know...

--
Chester Bullock,
Ethical, custom website hosting, design and programming

Old December 1st 03, 09:52 PM
foot2foot

"danko" wrote in message
om...
We've got a trip planned for Breck here in a week and I had a quetion
about bowl skiing. First of before the flames start... I am not and
do to claim to be an expert skiier. I take a couple of trips to the
Rockies each winter and am more than comfortable on blue and fairly
comfortable on most blacks (I suck a bumps though). I would consider
myself and advanced intermediate skiier I suppose. My question is
about the bowl skiing at Breck. Should a skiier of my estimated skill
level even consider taking the t-bar up or should I keep my lamer arse
down where the little people ski? I'm just trying to get an idea if
hitting the bowl would be complete suicide or if it is reasonable.
I'll admit they seem intimidating, yet alluring at the same time.
There it is... be gentle...

Danko

If you're an intermediate skier, and you want to try
something steep, you must be sure you know how
to do the (ski) Pole Arrest, and actually practice it
a time or two on a steep blue or very short black with
a runout. If you fall on something steep, above all else
you must concentrate on immediately stopping yourself
from sliding. If you don't you can get going 40 mph
or more on your nylon.

That said, sure you should try the T bar. If you don't
like the aspect of actually turning in a place on the hill,
you can sideslip, side step, traverse and kick turn, or,
all else rejected, do the old "butt turn". Do watch the
slide on the nylon though.

Old December 1st 03, 11:03 PM
Let Mikey Ski It!

Chester Bullock wrote:

This may not be an issue because the bowl may not be open next week.
Mikey will know...

Correct. See info from snoig that talks about Peak 8 not even opening
until the 15th (I heard the 13th) and that will most likely not include
the T-Bar.

As far as the T-Bar and bowls, should they be open, give them a go!
Breck's bowls offer the unique combination of steep and minimal or no
bumps (due to the frickin wind). If they are packed, remember to stop
yourself immediately should you fall since there are no bumps to slide
into. We enjoy sitting on the picnic table down below on those days and
scoring the sliders.

Link to Breck pics below.

Mike...

--
See my ski photography at: http://PowderDay.us
Carpe powder-diem
Old December 1st 03, 11:34 PM
lal_truckee

Let Mikey Ski It! wrote:

If they are packed, remember to stop
yourself immediately should you fall since there are no bumps to slide
into. We enjoy sitting on the picnic table down below on those days and
scoring the sliders.

Counting on bumps does not always lead to an agreeable stop - guy at
Heavenly fell on the Gunbarral a couple of years ago and battered
himself to death (literally) bouncing against the bumps. Course, the
Gunbarral is a tad steep and usually made of set Sierra Cement.

Although, other than this case, most such efforts usually have a more
amusing denouement, as you point out.

Old December 2nd 03, 12:00 AM
Mary Malmros

lal_truckee writes:

Let Mikey Ski It! wrote:

If they are packed, remember to stop
yourself immediately should you fall since there are no bumps to slide
into. We enjoy sitting on the picnic table down below on those days and
scoring the sliders.

Counting on bumps does not always lead to an agreeable stop

Tell me about it. I fell high up on Upper Avalanche at Eldora last
year while I was wearing my slalom suit, which has about as much
friction as a lubricated baggie. Kabumpetybumpetybumpetybump.
After a bit of that I figured I'd better take the chance on
sacrificing limbs to save my spine, skull, or internal organs, and
started digging in everything that stuck out, including skis, poles,
elbows, etc. I did stop before I hit the woods, but not before I'd
gone down almost all the bump section. 'Twas a cheap lesson as
lessons go.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield,
Other days you're the bug.
Old December 2nd 03, 03:52 AM
lal truckee

Mary Malmros wrote:

I was wearing my slalom suit, which has about as much
friction as a lubricated baggie.

Ooo! - the image! the image! the image!

And you wear this out of the privacy of your sleeping chambers? In
public? On the ski slope?

Old December 2nd 03, 11:44 AM
Mary Malmros

lal truckee writes:

Mary Malmros wrote:

I was wearing my slalom suit, which has about as much
friction as a lubricated baggie.

Ooo! - the image! the image! the image!

And you wear this out of the privacy of your sleeping chambers? In
public? On the ski slope?

Well, yes. It's blue. And shiny.

Kabumpetybumpetybump,

--
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::
Old December 2nd 03, 12:03 PM
Let Mikey Ski It!

Mary Malmros wrote:
lal truckee writes:

Mary Malmros wrote:

I was wearing my slalom suit, which has about as much
friction as a lubricated baggie.

Ooo! - the image! the image! the image!

And you wear this out of the privacy of your sleeping chambers? In
public? On the ski slope?

Well, yes. It's blue. And shiny.

Kabumpetybumpetybump,

Please post pictures of you in lubricated baggie.

Thanks,

Mike...

--
Littleton, Colorado (reply to msaemisch at yahoo dot com)