610 vs RCS 98

Old March 18th 05, 08:23 PM
Dave Mayo-Kiely

Default 610 vs RCS 98

I was reading in Silent Sports that all of the RCS Skates of next year will
be of the 610 variety. Just wondering if my old RCS Skates (98?) from the
year before the original Skate Cut are the same? Probably not but just
curious if the improvement was to go back to an older design. Regardless of
the change, I have 2nd version of the Skate Cuts and love them.

Dave

Old March 18th 05, 08:56 PM
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

Dave Mayo-Kiely wrote:
I was reading in Silent Sports that all of the RCS Skates of next

year will
be of the 610 variety. Just wondering if my old RCS Skates (98?)

from the
year before the original Skate Cut are the same? Probably not but

just
curious if the improvement was to go back to an older design.

Regardless of
the change, I have 2nd version of the Skate Cuts and love them.

I'm not really an expert on the Fischer history, but I think Fischer
went to the "Power Edge" about that time. My 1996 Fischer don't have
that feature. Also, the Fischer skis got shorter by 3 cm, but kept the
same snow contact length. (A fairly big change in my opinion.) They
also cut material out of the tip and tail (speed tip and tail) to make
the swing wt lighter. (Again, noticable in feel.)

As for construction, I believe I heard that Fischer added some carbon
fiber into the skate skis to increase the speed of the rebound as you
unweight the ski. There's also the 3000 petex on the cold skis that's
higher molecular wt (3 million) and therefore harder and better for
cold snow. Then I'm sure the mold has changed and I believe the 610 has
a higher camber than older skis. I hear they have a higher graphite
content cold ski, which I hope is available to the public next year. So
yeah, I'd say there's quite a few incremental improvements and it's not
the older design.

Jay Wenner

Old March 18th 05, 09:43 PM
Tim Kelley

Bjorn,

If you like your 2nd generation Skate Cuts, you better take good care
of them. Recently I talked to a Factory Team member who said Skate
Cuts are dead. Fischer won't be making RCS's with a skate cut any
more. (I assume that my source knows what he/she is talking about).

Other info/rumors from this source - the Factory Team will be skiing on
Salomon skis, not Fischers, next year. Salomon skis will be made in
the Fischer plant, by Salomon engineers (they will lease the Fischer
plant and molds for like 3 weeks at a time). Salomon has license to
use the Fischer base and core. But not the cutdown tip and tail - so
Salomon is working on reducing weight on tips and tails in a non-patent
infringing manner.

I also had to laugh when I heard a quote from this source that Kris
Freeman said he got blisters in 10 minutes after he first used the new
Centrix boots. I think I actually outlasted Kris - it took me 15
minutes of use the first time before I had to take the boots and my
blood soaked socks off. And this story is a common one. I'm ****ed I
got duped into buying those torture chambers. Oh well - I shipped them
out today to a guy I sold them to on the web. Hope he has better luck
with them. My source said that new mods are coming to the Fischer
boots next year. And that Salomon is coming out with a new boot AND
binding. Whether the binding is compatible with the old systems ...
he/she didn't know.

If any "in-the-know" and UNBIASED RSN'ers have corrections to the above
.... let's hear them. Thanks.

TK

Old March 18th 05, 10:05 PM
Cloutier Jim

--0-537344397-1111187091=:37506

I would love to know what would cause the blister in the Centrix boots. I have to say that I really like my boots.

1. The higher arch got packed down a little and was perfect for me.
2. The overall support of the boots is outstanding.
3. I did not have the problem with shoelaces I have heard others had.
4. Kept my warm in cold weather and just right in warmer.
5. I never had 'hots spot' on any areas of either feet.

I am far from an elite skier, that I admit.....but I am sensitive to equipment that works. And these did. It would be a worth while study by Fischer to know why some people have problems and some do not. I am definitely in the 'not' category.

Average Jim

Tim Kelley wrote:
[...]

Cloutier Concept & Design
13629 46th Street NE
St. Michael, MN 55376
(c) 612.386.3346
www.cc-d.com

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)

--0-537344397-1111187091=:37506

DIVI would love to know what would cause the blister in the Centrix boots.  I have to say that I really like my boots./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIV1. The higher arch got packed down a little and was perfect for me./DIV
DIV2. The overall support of the boots is outstanding./DIV
DIV3. I did not have the problem with shoelaces I have heard others had./DIV
DIV4. Kept my warm in cold weather and just right in warmer./DIV
DIV5. I never had 'hots spot' on any areas of either feet./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVI am far from an elite skier, that I admit.....but I am sensitive to equipment that works.  And these did.  It would be a worth while study by Fischer to know why some people have problems and some do not.  I am definitely in the STRONG'not'/STRONG category./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVAverage Jim/DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVBRBITim Kelley >/I/B wrote:/DIV
BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"Bjorn,BRBRIf you like your 2nd generation Skate Cuts, you better take good careBRof them. Recently I talked to a Factory Team member who said SkateBRCuts are dead. Fischer won't be making RCS's with a skate cut anyBRmore. (I assume that my source knows what he/she is talking about).BRBROther info/rumors from this source - the Factory Team will be skiing onBRSalomon skis, not Fischers, next year. Salomon skis will be made inBRthe Fischer plant, by Salomon engineers (they will lease the FischerBRplant and molds for like 3 weeks at a time). Salomon has license toBRuse the Fischer base and core. But not the cutdown tip and tail - soBRSalomon is working on reducing weight on tips and tails in a non-patentBRinfringing manner.BRBRI also had to laugh when I heard a quote from this source that KrisBRFreeman said he got blisters in 10 minutes after he fi!
rst used
the newBRCentrix boots. I think I actually outlasted Kris - it took me 15BRminutes of use the first time before I had to take the boots and myBRblood soaked socks off. And this story is a common one. I'm ****ed IBRgot duped into buying those torture chambers. Oh well - I shipped themBRout today to a guy I sold them to on the web. Hope he has better luckBRwith them. My source said that new mods are coming to the FischerBRboots next year. And that Salomon is coming out with a new boot ANDBRbinding. Whether the binding is compatible with the old systems ...BRhe/she didn't know.BRBRIf any "in-the-know" and UNBIASED RSN'ers have corrections to the aboveBR.. let's hear them. Thanks.BRBRTKBRBRBRBRBRBR/BLOCKQUOTEBRBRPFONT face=arialFONT size=1FONT color=#800000STRONGCloutier Concept & DesignBR13629 46th Street NEBRSt. Michael, MN  55376/STRONG/FONT/FONT/FONTFONT face=arialFONT size=1FONT
color=#800000STRONGBR(c) 612.386.3346BR/STRONGA href="http://www.cc-d.com/" target=_blankSTRONGFONT color=#003399www.cc-d.com/FONT/STRONG/A/FONT/FONT/FONT/P
PFONT face=arialFONT size=1STRONGFONT color=#800000"If a man does his best, what else is there?"/FONT/STRONG BR- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)/FONT/FONT/Pp
hr size=1Do you Yahoo!?br
Read only the mail you want - a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/spamguard/*http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail/static/protection.html"Yahoo! Mail SpamGuard/a.
--0-537344397-1111187091=:37506--

Old March 19th 05, 02:00 PM

Tim Kelley wrote:
Bjorn,

Other info/rumors from this source - the Factory Team will be skiing

on
Salomon skis, not Fischers, next year. Salomon skis will be made in
the Fischer plant, by Salomon engineers (they will lease the Fischer
plant and molds for like 3 weeks at a time). Salomon has license to
use the Fischer base and core. But not the cutdown tip and tail - so
Salomon is working on reducing weight on tips and tails in a

non-patent
infringing manner.

I talked to Tim and Cindy Swift at Riverbrook Bike and Ski and the
Salomon rep during Birkie Week. They said the ski will be made by
Fischer but will have the Atomic camber profile.

I also had to laugh when I heard a quote from this source that Kris
Freeman said he got blisters in 10 minutes after he first used the

new
Centrix boots. I think I actually outlasted Kris - it took me 15
minutes of use the first time before I had to take the boots and my
blood soaked socks off. And this story is a common one. I'm ****ed

got duped into buying those torture chambers.

It's got to be your feet. They must not be made for the Fischer boots.
I got mine last fall and can't stand skiing in my old boots. The
Fischers are the best boots I've ever owned. They fit me like a glove.
I didn't get any blisters with them. My feet are wide and very flat.
The arch in the boot compressed down and formed to my foot in a short
amount of time.

Jay Tegeder
"Stick around this sport long enough and you'll beat everyone at least
once!" JT

Old March 19th 05, 06:00 PM
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

Tim Kelley wrote:
If you like your 2nd generation Skate Cuts, you better take good care
of them. Recently I talked to a Factory Team member who said Skate
Cuts are dead. Fischer won't be making RCS's with a skate cut any
more. (I assume that my source knows what he/she is talking about).

If I could trade in my 1996 straight skis for skatecuts, I would. If I
could trade in my skatecuts for 610s, I would. Does that mean my 1996
skis are worthless? Nope, I used them for the Pepsi Challenge this
year.

As someone else pointed out, the skatecuts have been reduced down to
the SCS. It seems kind of like Campy reducing last year's Record
components to this year's Chorus.

Other info/rumors from this source - the Factory Team will be skiing

on
Salomon skis, not Fischers, next year.

This is very interesting. I heard that Salomon is planning on a big
rollout of the new product. The impression I got was that the money put
into the rollout was irrational when compared to the size of the xc ski
market.

It takes a while to know a pair of skis, get them ground for their best
conditions, skied and waxed so it's ready for competition. So the
Factory guys are in for a lot of work next fall with new skis. It would
be interesting to hear any comments from Nathan on this. I would guess
that some of the team with hopes at making the Olympics might be
thinking about opting out for a year so they can keep their old trusty
boards for the qualifying races.

I also had to laugh when I heard a quote from this source that Kris
Freeman said he got blisters in 10 minutes after he first used the

new
Centrix boots.

When I've worked the Fischer booth, I find there's people like Jay
Tegeder that say, "Finally a boot that fits." Then there's people that
try them on and say, "No way." It kind of seems like Centrix and Pilot
are on opposite sides of the foot fitting isle. If your feet fit in the
Centrix boots they don't fit well in Pilots and vs. I have no idea how
Alpina, Atomic, Rossignol, etc fit in the scheme of things.

Jay Wenner

Old March 20th 05, 03:02 AM

I don't know how the new straight skis relate to the '98 ones, but I
just love my '98 straight fischers. They are faster than my skatecuts,
too bad I made them semi rock skis when I got the skatecuts.

I wish they were still selling '98 fischers... if I came across a '98
pair in mint condition (or a pair in a store with storage wax on
them... yeah, right), I'd get it.

Old March 21st 05, 03:47 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

There was a review article of the different ski companies in the
Norwegian magazine SkiSport last year (no. 6) in which they wrote, "This
year they [Fischer] present skate-skis with parallel construction, and
have finally retired their 'skate cut.' The Austrian manufacturer has
long known that the skate-cut is not optimal, but has only produced
parallel construction for World Cup skiers. This year, however, we
expect to see many more of these skis on podiums around the country."

Gene