where to go for powder at the end of March

Old January 7th 05, 08:57 AM

Default where to go for powder at the end of March

Hi all,
I am flying from Europe to a conference in Phoenix, Arizona.
I want to spend 7-10 days skiing, starting on March 24. What is the
best (highest?) place to go for POWDER: Utah, Colorado, New Mexico? (I
have never skied in US; in Europe I ski offpistes/powder only.)

Also, is it worth of taking my own skis (3 y.o.), or I'd rather buy a
new pair at the end of the season in US?
Should I rent a room in advance at that time of year?
Thanks for any suggestions,
Paul

Old January 11th 05, 12:23 AM
miles

Hi all,
I am flying from Europe to a conference in Phoenix, Arizona.
I want to spend 7-10 days skiing, starting on March 24. What is the
best (highest?) place to go for POWDER: Utah, Colorado, New Mexico? (I
have never skied in US; in Europe I ski offpistes/powder only.)

Also, is it worth of taking my own skis (3 y.o.), or I'd rather buy a
new pair at the end of the season in US?
Should I rent a room in advance at that time of year?

The closet skiing to Phoenix is about 2 hours drive at
http://www.arizonasnowbowl.com . A larger ski area in Arizona is about
3 1/2 hours drive from Phoenix at http://www.sunriseskipark.com . Both
ski areas generally have excellent snow in March but powder conditions
are up to the weather. It often does dump in early to mid-march.

Salt Lake City ski areas, especially Alta are known for deep powder. In
Colorado for March I like Telluride, Durango (Purgatory), or Wolf Creek.
The latter has a new lift that serves an offpiste area which is
somewhat rare in the US. For expert steep powder skiing Telluride is
hard to beat. Best be in good shape because these ski areas are very
high altitude. The base area at the bottom lodge area of Wolf Creek is
10,300 feet (3140 meters) in elevation.

With the exchange rates it might be a good value for you to buy skis in
the US. Ski shops often have great deals in late season. The Phoenix
area stores often discount heavily as the Arizona ski season usually
ends in mid-april.