Grenoble to Serre Chevalier

Old February 3rd 09, 05:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Snorer

Default Grenoble to Serre Chevalier

Hi, I plan to drive from Grenoble to Villeneuve in 2 weeks and have been
told that the highest point of the journey over the Col du Lautaret is
2000m. Is this often a problem passing or is the road usually clear. Do you
think chains are advised. I arrive 10.00pm so would have little chance to
raid the supermarket for chains. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Old February 3rd 09, 06:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
john elgy

Snorer wrote:

Hi, I plan to drive from Grenoble to Villeneuve in 2 weeks and have been
told that the highest point of the journey over the Col du Lautaret is
2000m. Is this often a problem passing or is the road usually clear. Do you
think chains are advised. I arrive 10.00pm so would have little chance to
raid the supermarket for chains. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

They endevour to keep the pass open, but that does not mean that it will
be free of snow. You may need snow chains. There is no way of knowing
this far in advance. You could risk it without buying chains in advance
and if the road has snow on it then go via Gap. I once came over the
Lautaret when it was covered with snow witout chains and it took over 3
very careful hours.

John
Old February 3rd 09, 06:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Rob White

I did the same journey on the 24th January. The pass was closed, so chains
were irrelevant. We had to take the motorway and go round the Frejus tunnel
and then via Cesana and Montgenevre. We did that without chains but it was
very a very close run thing. Coming back last Saturday the Col was
completely clear. We wasted £55 on hiring chains with the car, but it would
have been bloody silly not to have had them. Unless you can guarantee the
road conditions you really must have chains.

Rob

PS snow conditions were awesome - evidently the best since 1972!!

Old February 3rd 09, 08:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Snorer

Thanks Rob, That is what concerns me. I was in Chamonix on the 24th and
couldn't get up a mild slope to my hotel in Les Houches which is quite low.
I hadn't prebooked chains and couldn't get any added to the hire at Geneva.I
don't know the southern alps
At what stage did you find the col was closed and do you have to go back
north of Grenoble to pick up the tunnel road?

Thabks for your help, peter

Old February 3rd 09, 08:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Snorer

Hi John thanks for the advice, is the road via Gap a good option anyway? It
looks like it could be a faster road.
I don't know southern alps
peter

Old February 4th 09, 10:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Excess

On Feb 3, 5:51*pm, "Snorer" wrote:
Hi, I plan to drive from Grenoble to Villeneuve in 2 weeks and have been
told that the highest *point of the journey over the Col du Lautaret is
2000m. Is this often a problem passing or is the road usually clear. Do you
think chains are advised. I arrive 10.00pm so would have little chance to
raid the supermarket for chains. Any thoughts would be appreciated. *Thanks

The Col du Lautaret can indeed be closed from time to time although I
would not say it is a regular occurence. When it is closed it will be
indicated on the road from Grenoble - around Vizile is the first live
road sign if my memory is right. There are further live road signs
along the way so it is easy to change route. Gap is indeed the best
option - our local taxi company systematically use that alternative if
required - allow an extra 45 mins on your journey.
The col du Lautaret is an important access route and if it has to
close the local authorities make it a top priority to re-open it
quickly.

On the day you can check on http://www.cg05.fr/527-etat-des-cols...d-altitude.htm
(Ouvert means open just in case) or
http://www.isere.equipement.gouv.fr/...c/routes38.htm or
http://www.inforoute05.fr/cg05en.html

Equally the Col de Montgenevre could be closed too although very rare.

Chains are always advised - when there is snow on any mountain road
the police will often be parked at the bottom and will prevent any car
who haven't got any from continuing their journey (quite right I will
add - it is most frustrating when idiots who have ignored road signs
and common sense proceeding with no chains and no experience are stuck
half way through a resort road blocking the way for all other traffic)
- in those cases it is actually a legal requirement to have them (snow
tyres allowed). If you don't have chains you may also find it
difficult to get our of your parking space at the end of your stay if
it has snowed. The roads in resorts are always cleared pretty quickly
but sometimes private areas are more difficult to do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
XS
Peak Retreats http://www.peakretreats.co.uk
Ski Collection http://www.skicollection.co.uk
Old February 6th 09, 10:17 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Rob White

If you go on the Serre Chev website there is a link to the Col traffic
conditions, I could see from there that it was no no-hoper and my son
(already there) called to confirm. I think you could also get traffic info
from the info desk or car hire desk at the airport. Its 96 miles through
the Col and 151 via the motorway and the Frejus Tunnel. OK it's an extra 60
miles, but if the motorway is OK you'll bash round to Cesana in no time.
It's likely to only be tricky from Cesana where you turn off the motorway
and start going up the mountains on the A road, but they tend to keep it
clear as it is the main way in from Turin. We were there in the evening and
did not need to use the chains as all the earlier traffic had compacted the
snow for us, but from what I heard chains were essential earlier on. BTW
the tunnel toll is 33.30e, for a car and 44e for a mini-bus

Have a good time

Rob

Old February 6th 09, 09:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul Kelly

In message , Rob White
writes
[...]

It may be worth mentioning that signs on the A6 and elsewhere have
announced that the Frejus Tunnel would be closed either a Monday night
or a Sunday night -I cannot recall which it was or what the dates were.
I saw them at both ends of January. If it is middle of the night if
probably will not affect you but it might be worth doing the homework
just in case.

In fact just seen that it is closed all day Sundays until April see here
top left:
http://www.tunneldufrejus.com/web/guest/accueil

--
PK
Remove the xtra y from my name in the e-mail address if replying
Old February 8th 09, 11:21 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Snorer

Thanks to all for your advice. Peter.

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message
In message , Rob White