skiing east vs. west

Old December 6th 04, 06:17 PM
miles

Default skiing east vs. west

I have a business trip coming up to Montreal and may have time to get
some skiing in. I have only ski'd in the western USA. I have heard the
east in known for icy hard packed conditions. My wife and I ski on
mostly groomed runs so tons of powder aren't that important to us.
However, soft groomed snow is great but I hate the days in the west
where I've encountered hard packed crusty icy conditions. In the east
is the hard packed and icy conditions far more common than in the west?

Where within a few hours drive from Montreal can decent skiing be found?
Not just Canada but maybe northern Vermont or NY not too far?

Old December 7th 04, 07:22 AM
MARCUS

Why not Mt. Sainte-Anne?
It will be closer to Montreal, still in Canada. Not a bad place at all.
Happy trails. Markus.

Old December 8th 04, 04:47 AM
away for now

You must mean Mt Tremblant. Sainte-Anne is quite far.

The eastern "powder", blue, is over rated. These days with grooming, and
snow making you're more likely to find icey conditions in the west where
they haven't gotten around to the grooming.

Old December 8th 04, 12:35 PM
miles

away for now wrote:

You must mean Mt Tremblant. Sainte-Anne is quite far.

The eastern "powder", blue, is over rated. These days with grooming, and
snow making you're more likely to find icey conditions in the west where
they haven't gotten around to the grooming.

Ice is rare at most western slopes even the groomed runs. The exception
is ski areas closer to the coast in California etc. can get icy as their
snow is much wetter. Spring skiing in the west can get icy but thats
par for the warm sunny days. Many of the western ski areas I ski have
little or no snow making. I have never heard the term 'powder' and
eastern skiing used together!
Old December 8th 04, 04:31 PM
lal_truckee

away for now wrote:
You must mean Mt Tremblant. Sainte-Anne is quite far.

The eastern "powder", blue, is over rated. These days with grooming, and
snow making you're more likely to find icey conditions in the west where
they haven't gotten around to the grooming.

In the west nobody skis on the groomed; it's too crowded.
Old December 8th 04, 08:54 PM
miles

In the west nobody skis on the groomed; it's too crowded.

You must be going to the wrong ski areas!

Old December 8th 04, 09:52 PM
Terry Morse

In the west nobody skis on the groomed; it's too crowded.

You must be going to the wrong ski areas!

You must be going to those uncrowded slopes, that's where everybody
goes.
--
terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://ski.terrymorse.com/
Old December 13th 04, 01:43 AM
GT

Here are some of your options for a daytrip from Montreal, in no particular
order:
1. Mont Tremblant (consistently rated #1 resort in the East, and this would
be my recommendation)
2. Jay Peak, VT
3. Mont Sutton
4. Killington, VT
5. Whiteface, NY
6. Smuggler's Notch, VT
7. Stowe, VT
8. Mont Orford

I'm sure I've missed some ...

-GT

Old January 11th 05, 09:42 PM
Davlo

"GT" wrote in message
.. .
Here are some of your options for a daytrip from Montreal, in no

particular
order:
1. Mont Tremblant (consistently rated #1 resort in the East, and this

would
be my recommendation)
2. Jay Peak, VT
3. Mont Sutton
4. Killington, VT
5. Whiteface, NY
6. Smuggler's Notch, VT
7. Stowe, VT
8. Mont Orford

Tremblant is very good.
Jay is a good option.
Stay away from Killington - it is EXTREMELY crowded. It is probably my least
favorite ski area in New England.
Stowe is very nice.

Unfortunately, ice comes with the territory out here in the East. For those
of us who grew up with it, it's been said that we can ski anywhere and
anything, and I do believe that. For anyone that's skied Cannon in the
1980's, you know what I mean! One bit of advice about ice - just get past
it. Relax, ski through it as straight as you can, and you'll be fine.