Thule Questions

Old December 2nd 03, 03:23 PM
Kenny

Default Thule Questions

Hey! Something on topic.

I've just picked up a pair of THULE ski rack in Goodwill for $9.60, YES!
Nine Dollar and Sixty Cents. It's kind of old but it is in good shape.

I bought a fit kit so it's fit on my 98 Camry ( $43...ouch ), it has locks
but no keys, I really don't want to pay another $33 for 4 locks ..which I am
not sure it'll fit the old racks

So! the question is.......

1. How do you pronounce THULE? Too Lee or Thoo Lee????

2. Did you ever transport skis with the racks unlock? Will the rack pop open
and skis fall out, and kill someone tailgating you ?

3. I saw some people with a deflector in front of their ski rack, what are
they for, deflecting what? snow?

Kenny

Old December 2nd 03, 03:35 PM
Walt

Kenny wrote:

I've just picked up a pair of THULE ski rack in Goodwill for $9.60, YES!
Nine Dollar and Sixty Cents. It's kind of old but it is in good shape.

I bought a fit kit so it's fit on my 98 Camry ( $43...ouch ), it has locks
but no keys, I really don't want to pay another $33 for 4 locks ..which I am
not sure it'll fit the old racks

So! the question is.......

1. How do you pronounce THULE? Too Lee or Thoo Lee????

I pronounce it THOOL (one syllable) but I have no idea if I'm right. And
since my roof rack is made by Yakima, I don't have to say Thule very
often. OTOH, I have no idea how to pronounce Yakima either.

2. Did you ever transport skis with the racks unlock? Will the rack pop open
and skis fall out, and kill someone tailgating you ?

I think the locks are to keep people from stealing your skis, not to
keep the racks closed. You can probably verify for yourself whether the
racks wil stay closed without locking them with a key.

3. I saw some people with a deflector in front of their ski rack, what are
they for, deflecting what? snow?

It's probably an aerodynamic thing, although it might help keep the road
salt off the skis. Road salt is your biggest enemy if you transport
your skis in a rack - it will cause the bindings to age prematurely,
although even with the abuse of road salt they'll probably stilll be
servicable when the skis are deemed obsolete.

--
//-Walt
//
Old December 2nd 03, 04:10 PM
bdubya

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 16:23:38 GMT, "Kenny"
wrote:

Hey! Something on topic.

I've just picked up a pair of THULE ski rack in Goodwill for $9.60, YES!
Nine Dollar and Sixty Cents. It's kind of old but it is in good shape.

I bought a fit kit so it's fit on my 98 Camry ( $43...ouch ), it has locks
but no keys, I really don't want to pay another $33 for 4 locks ..which I am
not sure it'll fit the old racks

So! the question is.......

1. How do you pronounce THULE? Too Lee or Thoo Lee????

Most retailers I've heard (who presumably have to deal with a rep) say
"Toolie."

2. Did you ever transport skis with the racks unlock? Will the rack pop open
and skis fall out, and kill someone tailgating you ?

The rack is unlikely to pop open, but you could throw a compression
strap, some nylon line, or some ductape around it to make sure.

3. I saw some people with a deflector in front of their ski rack, what are
they for, deflecting what? snow?

Air, mainly, for lower wind resistance (it's surprising what a mileage
penalty a li'l old ski rack can exact). Probably helpful with flying
road debris as well. I doubt it would help much with road salt,
unfortunately; if you live in an area where they salt the roads, you
should bag the skis, or at least wrap them in heavy plastic.

bw

Old December 3rd 03, 03:43 AM
TCS

Most retailers I've heard (who presumably have to deal with a rep) say
"Toolie."

Correct. Same pronunciation as the city.

TCS (The Colorado Skier)
Colorado skiing is now under way. Enjoy!