Warm weather next week?

Old March 11th 04, 09:57 PM
Greg Hilton

Default Warm weather next week?

I'm out in La Plagne a week Sunday (21st March). Looks like it's warming up
next week, any forecasts suggesting how long this warm spell will last?

Mixed feelings about this, pros are better for my 4 year olds first ski,
and hopefully nice spring snow, but cons are powder is best ;^)

regards,

greg
Old March 12th 04, 06:32 AM
Alun Evans

On Thu 11 Mar '04 at 22:57 Greg Hilton wrote:

I'm out in La Plagne a week Sunday (21st March). Looks like it's warming up
next week, any forecasts suggesting how long this warm spell will last?

I'm out there for a week from Tomorrow! (13th March).

Snow-forecast 6 day forecast currently recons the temperatures will be heading
north all that time - Oooh, Max temp of 7°C on Tuesday for the bottom
lift. That cannot be good. Especially with 20cm forecast for Saturday night.

Mixed feelings about this, pros are better for my 4 year olds first ski,
and hopefully nice spring snow, but cons are powder is best ;^)

Sunglasses rather than balaclava, what a chore!

Alun.
Old March 12th 04, 07:04 AM
Ian Spare

Alun Evans wrote:

On Thu 11 Mar '04 at 22:57 Greg Hilton wrote:

I'm out in La Plagne a week Sunday (21st March). Looks like it's warming up
next week, any forecasts suggesting how long this warm spell will last?

I'm out there for a week from Tomorrow! (13th March).

Snow-forecast 6 day forecast currently recons the temperatures will be heading
north all that time - Oooh, Max temp of 7°C on Tuesday for the bottom
lift. That cannot be good. Especially with 20cm forecast for Saturday night.

You do realize it's March ? :-) That would seem not totally unreasonable
for the time of year. I don't know of website with historical temp's on
it but I'd be interested to see if that's normal or not.

Ian
Old March 12th 04, 11:29 AM
PG

"Ian Spare" wrote in message
| Alun Evans wrote:
|
| On Thu 11 Mar '04 at 22:57 Greg Hilton wrote:
|
| I'm out in La Plagne a week Sunday (21st March). Looks like it's
warming up
| next week, any forecasts suggesting how long this warm spell will
last?

| I'm out there for a week from Tomorrow! (13th March).
|
| Snow-forecast 6 day forecast currently recons the temperatures will
be heading
| north all that time - Oooh, Max temp of 7°C on Tuesday for the
bottom
| lift. That cannot be good. Especially with 20cm forecast for
Saturday night.

| You do realize it's March ? :-) That would seem not totally
unreasonable
| for the time of year. I don't know of website with historical temp's
on
| it but I'd be interested to see if that's normal or not.

Just so long as we don't get torrential rain to 3000m !
Pete

Old March 12th 04, 11:39 AM
Ian Spare

PG wrote:
"Ian Spare" wrote in message
| Alun Evans wrote:
|
| On Thu 11 Mar '04 at 22:57 Greg Hilton wrote:
|
| I'm out in La Plagne a week Sunday (21st March). Looks like it's
warming up
| next week, any forecasts suggesting how long this warm spell will
last?

| I'm out there for a week from Tomorrow! (13th March).
|
| Snow-forecast 6 day forecast currently recons the temperatures will
be heading
| north all that time - Oooh, Max temp of 7°C on Tuesday for the
bottom
| lift. That cannot be good. Especially with 20cm forecast for
Saturday night.

| You do realize it's March ? :-) That would seem not totally
unreasonable
| for the time of year. I don't know of website with historical temp's
on
| it but I'd be interested to see if that's normal or not.

Just so long as we don't get torrential rain to 3000m !
Pete

Snowing here at 500m right now. Where to go tomorrow though ? :-)
Old March 12th 04, 12:33 PM
PG

"Ian Spare" wrote in message
| PG wrote:
| "Ian Spare" wrote in message
| |
| | You do realize it's March ? :-) That would seem not totally
| unreasonable
| | for the time of year. I don't know of website with historical
temp's
| on
| | it but I'd be interested to see if that's normal or not.
|
| Just so long as we don't get torrential rain to 3000m !

| Snowing here at 500m right now. Where to go tomorrow though ? :-)

The pessimists at meteo fr would suggest nowhere below 2000m come
tomorrow afternoon. I've taken to looking at avalanche.net, it's more
reassuring (even if it turns out to be wrong!)

Old March 18th 04, 02:33 PM
Nigel Bradley

So how are the conditions holding up in La Plagne after
the heat wave - looking at their web page (excellent new
panaramic view incidentally) things look okay above 2000m
but not so hot (or should that be cool) below. Does that
mean the link over to Les Arcs will involve a stroll through
the meadows?

Seems like it's cooling down next week anyway which has to
be good news.

As I'm off there this weekend, is there any good advice on
some easy blues that I can progress my first-time-skiing
7 & 8 year old onto with easy access to Belle Plagne?

cheers,
Nigel.

PG wrote:

"Ian Spare" wrote in message
| PG wrote:
| |

Old March 18th 04, 03:46 PM
PG

"Nigel Bradley" wrote in message
| So how are the conditions holding up in La Plagne after
| the heat wave - looking at their web page (excellent new
| panaramic view incidentally) things look okay above 2000m
| but not so hot (or should that be cool) below. Does that
| mean the link over to Les Arcs will involve a stroll through
| the meadows?
|
| Seems like it's cooling down next week anyway which has to
| be good news.
|
| As I'm off there this weekend, is there any good advice on
| some easy blues that I can progress my first-time-skiing
| 7 & 8 year old onto with easy access to Belle Plagne?

Loads of easy blues, St Jacques, Belotte, perfect place to start. No
problem at the moment getting to Les Arcs - long trip with first-time
skiers though! Not advisable, unless you're planning on leaving them in
lessons for the day. You need the full day to make the trip over
worthwhile.

Hopefully a little snow from Sunday, much needed. Lower temperatures
from Sunday onwards.

Pete
www.skiclublesarcs.com

Old March 19th 04, 07:49 AM
Nigel Bradley

Loads of easy blues, St Jacques, Belotte, perfect place to start. No
problem at the moment getting to Les Arcs - long trip with first-time
skiers though! Not advisable, unless you're planning on leaving them in
lessons for the day. You need the full day to make the trip over
worthwhile.

Hopefully a little snow from Sunday, much needed. Lower temperatures
from Sunday onwards.

Pete
www.skiclublesarcs.com

Thanks for the advice Pete, especially about Les Arcs, though
the speed with which kids seem to pick things up they will
probably be waiting for me to catch up by the end of the week.

Nigel.