Bindings: Marker or Tyrolia ?

Old October 26th 05, 05:40 AM
radu_silaghi radu_silaghi is offline
Junior Member

Default Bindings: Marker or Tyrolia ?

Hello,
I recently bought a Blizzard X-Cross Ti and I am in the process of selecting the bindings. I want to choose a type of binding that would last long (ex: more metal parts instead of plastic) so I would keep binding even if I change ski. I also want to have the choice of having possibility to move the boot center without drilling (rail system to be drilled on ski). For the following options I see these bindings:
a) Tyrolia Free Flex 14 or 17 (whichever is more solid-metal) but they do not have rails to move boot center back and forth. I saw a PowerSelect 8 Rental which is older (no problem for me) and might have the possibility. Off course I will use them with Carving plate.
b) Market Comp 14 Piston Control IBX Demo and Regular and Titanium 12 Piston Control IBX Demo and Regular. I do not know the difference between Demo and Non-Demo/Regular. Both do not seem to need carving plate.

I definitively cannot make a choice and your expert advice is welcome.

Many thanks for help

Radu
Old October 26th 05, 01:41 PM
Jay Pique

radu_silaghi wrote:
I definitively cannot make a choice and your expert advice is welcome.

I'm an aggressive skier and I was not happy with a similar set of
Markers. I had release problems and they broke.

JP

Many thanks for help

Radu

--
radu_silaghi

Old October 26th 05, 03:55 PM
Bill Tuthill

radu_silaghi wrote:

I recently bought a Blizzard X-Cross Ti and I am in the process of
selecting the bindings.
a) Tyrolia Free Flex 14 or 17 (whichever is more solid-metal)
b) Market Comp 14 Piston Control or Titanium 12 Piston Control

I would buy whichever weighs less.

It's likely that both bindings work fairly well in most situations.
More ski manufacturers have partnered with Marker than with Tyrolia,
so that might tell you something.

Old October 26th 05, 04:35 PM
Walt

Bill Tuthill wrote:
radu_silaghi wrote:

I recently bought a Blizzard X-Cross Ti and I am in the process of
selecting the bindings.
a) Tyrolia Free Flex 14 or 17 (whichever is more solid-metal)
b) Market Comp 14 Piston Control or Titanium 12 Piston Control

I would buy whichever weighs less.

Why is low weight a positive thing in a binding?

It's likely that both bindings work fairly well in most situations.

Agreed.

More ski manufacturers have partnered with Marker than with Tyrolia,
so that might tell you something.

Probably more about the negotiation skill of the players involved than
the quality of the underlying product.

To address the poster's original questions, bindings are somewhat of a
religious issues. I swear by Markers and won't use Salomon. Others
will tell you different. (I'm favorably disposed towards Tyrollia as
well, but I've never really used them beyond quick demo sessions)

I'm not aware of any Marker or Tyrollia model that allows you to easily
adjust the placement of the boot fore-and-aft. Atomic has (or used to)
have a binding that allowed you to move the boot forward for control,
back for "speed" or centered for well center. Not sure of the model,
and I don't really like Atomic bindings.

Demo bindings allow a tech to easily change the boot sole length to
accomodate different sized boots without remounting. You don't need
this feature, but it doesn't hurt, unless you go fiddling with the
settings without knowing what you're doing.

//Walt

Old October 26th 05, 06:33 PM
Jay Pique

Walt wrote:
Bill Tuthill wrote:
radu_silaghi wrote:

I recently bought a Blizzard X-Cross Ti and I am in the process of
selecting the bindings.
a) Tyrolia Free Flex 14 or 17 (whichever is more solid-metal)
b) Market Comp 14 Piston Control or Titanium 12 Piston Control

I would buy whichever weighs less.

Why is low weight a positive thing in a binding?

The skis don't dig into your sholders as much when hiking. Easier to
maneuver while airborne.

JP

Old October 26th 05, 06:35 PM
lal_truckee

Walt wrote:
Bill Tuthill wrote:

radu_silaghi wrote:

... I am in the process of
selecting the bindings ...

I would buy whichever weighs less.

Why is low weight a positive thing in a binding?

Some people like a Vespa, others like a Harley?

I suppose it's taste? Or maybe they just like something that jitters all
over the place instead of tracks clean. It's hard to tell why there's
this weird cult dedicated to lightweight gear.

Original Poster: just go into the left-overs box and pick out a likely
suspect and have someone mount them up. Recent bindings are all pretty
good and it's unlikely, if you have to ask the question, that you would
ever notice the miniscule differences.
Old October 26th 05, 10:35 PM
klaus

lal_truckee wrote:

It's hard to tell why there's this weird cult dedicated to
lightweight gear.

The teleheads have always made it hard on themselves.

Recent bindings are all pretty good and it's unlikely, if you have
to ask the question, that you would ever notice the miniscule
differences.

More truth has never been stated in less words. It's a wrap. Same time
next year?

-klaus

Old October 27th 05, 03:25 PM
Bill Tuthill

Walt wrote:

a) Tyrolia Free Flex 14 or 17 (whichever is more solid-metal)
b) Market Comp 14 Piston Control or Titanium 12 Piston Control

I would buy whichever weighs less.

Why is low weight a positive thing in a binding?

Just my preference. Not only carrying the skis from car to lift line,
but also sitting on a chairlift not getting my knee sockets pulled out.
(Do knees have sockets?)

Last year in this newsgroup somebody said Look bindings are lightweight,
but I weighed them at REI this year, and Marker bindings -- even piston
models -- are lighter.

Old October 27th 05, 03:43 PM
VtSkier

Bill Tuthill wrote:
Walt wrote:

a) Tyrolia Free Flex 14 or 17 (whichever is more solid-metal)
b) Market Comp 14 Piston Control or Titanium 12 Piston Control

I would buy whichever weighs less.

Why is low weight a positive thing in a binding?

Just my preference. Not only carrying the skis from car to lift line,
but also sitting on a chairlift not getting my knee sockets pulled out.
(Do knees have sockets?)

No, they have a simple hinge joint, exactly analogous to your elbows.

Last year in this newsgroup somebody said Look bindings are lightweight,
but I weighed them at REI this year, and Marker bindings -- even piston
models -- are lighter.

Hmm. I was going to put Looks (they are in the box in the
garage) on my everyday skis this year.

Another pair will also probably have Tyrolia rental bindings
because they have to do double duty with different boots.
The rental bindings will probably be reasonably light as
I won't have the complication of Free-Flex and the material
will have a high percentage of plastic.
Old October 27th 05, 03:54 PM
Walt

Bill Tuthill wrote:
Walt wrote:

Why is low weight a positive thing in a binding?

Just my preference. Not only carrying the skis from car to lift line,
but also sitting on a chairlift not getting my knee sockets pulled out.
(Do knees have sockets?)

Last year in this newsgroup somebody said Look bindings are lightweight,
but I weighed them at REI this year, and Marker bindings -- even piston
models -- are lighter.

Atomic claims to make the lightest binding on the market. I've never
understood why that should be a selling point, but if that's what you're
looking for, go for it.

My take is that engineering is a series of trade-offs: functionality,
price, durability, size, weight, etc. In most circumstances the
engineers improve one to the detrement of others. And with a binding I
don't want to trade safety performance or pay extra for an irrelevant
criteria (weight). YMMV.

//Walt