What are best conditioning exercises?

Old January 2nd 16, 05:06 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default What are best conditioning exercises?

Here in the Midwest, no appreciable snow yet. I need to get in condition so when we finally do get some snow, I am in halfway decent shape. Usually I get in a few scattered skiing days to get in shape, but with no snow so far, no conditioning. What are some good conditioning exercises that don't need any snow?
Old January 2nd 16, 06:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Friday, 1 January 2016 21:06:27 UTC-8, wrote:
Here in the Midwest, no appreciable snow yet. I need to get in condition so when we finally do get some snow, I am in halfway decent shape. Usually I get in a few scattered skiing days to get in shape, but with no snow so far, no conditioning. What are some good conditioning exercises that don't need any snow?

Get on a bike and find some hills to climb. Can't beat it for getting your legs in skiing-shape.
Old January 3rd 16, 05:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Stallard[_4_]

On Saturday, January 2, 2016 at 12:06:27 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Here in the Midwest, no appreciable snow yet. I need to get in condition so when we finally do get some snow, I am in halfway decent shape. Usually I get in a few scattered skiing days to get in shape, but with no snow so far, no conditioning. What are some good conditioning exercises that don't need any snow?

If you belong to a gym, the leg press, and quad and hamstring extension machines might be good bets.

Doing that stuff one year, I was able to become one of these people who can squat down over their skis so they're like a midget, in order to lower air resistance and keep speed up on a flatter section. And then stand up straight again without passing out.

Dave
Old January 3rd 16, 09:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

wrote:
Here in the Midwest, no appreciable snow yet. I need to get in
condition so when we finally do get some snow, I am in halfway
decent shape. Usually I get in a few scattered skiing days to get
in shape, but with no snow so far, no conditioning. What are some
good conditioning exercises that don't need any snow?

If you belong to a gym, the leg press, and quad and hamstring
extension machines might be good bets.

If you don't, deadlifts will do nicely. Free weights are dirt cheap at
yardsales, and they're generally pretty damn pristine :-)

I've been doing leg exercises for 4 years now. Definite improvement.
FWIW, I leg-press 440 lbs 2x7. I stopped doing leg exercises when I
hurt my hip (it's amazing just how many things use the gluteus medius to
operate), so I'm starting those back at 400 lbs.

Doing that stuff one year, I was able to become one of these people
who can squat down over their skis so they're like a midget, in order
to lower air resistance and keep speed up on a flatter section. And
then stand up straight again without passing out.

I can do this, but for less than 30 seconds. Strength is not stamina
:-( I'm hoping that interval training (which I recently started but
also stopped) will improve that, but I really have no hope that it will.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Arguing on the internet is like running a race in the Special
Old January 27th 16, 03:05 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

wrote:
Here in the Midwest, no appreciable snow yet. I need to get in
condition so when we finally do get some snow, I am in halfway
decent shape. Usually I get in a few scattered skiing days to get
in shape, but with no snow so far, no conditioning. What are some
good conditioning exercises that don't need any snow?

Oh man you gotta learn to at least 'like' leg day if you want to
really reach your potential. But I've also become a huge fan of the
arc-trainers and ellipticals at Planet Fitness. I fire up some
trance or techno and just sort of hop to the beat for a while like
I'm in an untouched foot of light fresh over easy-rollers out back of
Vail. I get pretty into it.

I just rode my bicycle 27 hilly miles roundtrip to play volleyball twice a week
all summer. Did the job for me.