Pyrenees - great snow and 4 days skiing left (so there's just time)...

Old April 23rd 08, 10:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Roger Moss[_2_]

Default Pyrenees - great snow and 4 days skiing left (so there's just time)...

This season has certainly had its ups and downs but we've had little to
complain about at the tail-end. The Southern Alps have done particularly
well, and I'd have been off before now to Serre Che or Montgenèvre if I were
located closer (sigh).

However, it looks like conditions are still really good down in Piau-Engaly,
at 1800-2600m the highest of the ski areas in the French Pyrenées:
http://www.piau-engaly.com/spip.php?article236
http://www.viewsurf.com/vue-244-Piau...-_Tsd_Pic.html

Bonus-time, then :0)

There's a lot of great ski-time lost due to the need to close a season
(staffing, etc.) while conditions often remain perfectly good. In Canada,
where snowfalls are truly Collossal, they say that 'people just stop coming,
and start to do other things...'

RM
www.mountainpassions.com - an Online Magazine with Altitude

Old April 23rd 08, 02:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

at 1800-2600m the highest of the ski areas in the French Pyrenées:http://www.piau-engaly.com/spip.php?...-_Tsd_Pic.html

Bonus-time, then :0)

There's a lot of great ski-time lost due to the need to close a season
(staffing, etc.) while conditions often remain perfectly good. In Canada,
where snowfalls are truly Collossal, they say that 'people just stop coming,
and start to do other things...'

RMwww.mountainpassions.com- an Online Magazine with Altitude

Indeed - every year around this time I start to hear rumours about
'running the lifts longer' because the snow's still great, and every
year I point out that maybe they don't know so much about the french
attitude to work and employment. When STGM say the 11th May you can
guarantee that some of the chairs will be off the wires by 5:15pm that
day.

Now, if you know a guy with a skidoo on the other hand....

Matt
Old April 23rd 08, 03:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
MoonMan

Matt T wrote:
On 23 Apr, 11:19, "Roger Moss"
wrote:
[...]

Now come on, you know that's only because they haven't worked out how to get
them all off!

Chris *:-)

Old April 23rd 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Roger Moss[_2_]

"MoonMan" wrote in message
Matt T wrote:
On 23 Apr, 11:19, "Roger Moss"
wrote:
[...]

'Kite-skiing, anyone?'

The kite-school guys at the Col du Lauteret reckon you (meaning 'they') can
gain all the altitude you need to ski independently of lifts - given a
decent blow, as it were... http://www.snowkiteair.com/

Old April 23rd 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
The Older Gentleman[_2_]

Roger Moss wrote:

[...]

St Lary closed down immediately after Easter, with masses of new snow
everywhere. They must be as sick as parrots.

--
BMW K1100LT Ducati 750SS Honda CB400F, SL125 & SH50
chateau dot murray at idnet dot com