The Aftermath of the Carnage

Old September 25th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Vincent Walker

Default The Aftermath of the Carnage

Well it's been a week since the surgery. I've got a 8-10 inch incision line
going up the back held together with a ****load of staples. It's supposed to
be another week before they can be removed. I'm in a bit of discomfort from
both the staples and the fusion itself. I'm taking Lortab and Lodine so I
can sit, walk and sleep. No numbness or tingling. Just weak, really weak.
When I got out of surgery I had all the usual tubes. I had a Hemovac drain
and put off about a liter of blood. Pain was addressed with a PCA pump with
morphine - kept it for two days. I started walking in about 36 hours after
the procedure. These staples are ****ing me off and I can't start driving
until after they're gone and I can give up the Lortabs. This has been an
interesting experience.

Old September 25th 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

vincent walker wrote:
Well it's been a week since the surgery. I've got a 8-10 inch incision line
going up the back held together with a ****load of staples. It's supposed to
be another week before they can be removed. I'm in a bit of discomfort from
both the staples and the fusion itself. I'm taking Lortab and Lodine so I
can sit, walk and sleep. No numbness or tingling. Just weak, really weak.
When I got out of surgery I had all the usual tubes. I had a Hemovac drain
and put off about a liter of blood. Pain was addressed with a PCA pump with
morphine - kept it for two days. I started walking in about 36 hours after
the procedure. These staples are ****ing me off and I can't start driving
until after they're gone and I can give up the Lortabs. This has been an
interesting experience.

Vinnie,
This sounds like what my ex-wife will be going
through for a "synovial cyst" in the lumbar
region. What was the reason for your surgery?
You may have said, but I frequently ignore
rsa completely when the noise/information ratio
gets too high.
Old September 25th 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Vincent Walker

On 9/25/07 11:33 AM, in article , "VtSkier"
wrote:

Vinnie,
This sounds like what my ex-wife will be going
through for a "synovial cyst" in the lumbar
region. What was the reason for your surgery?
You may have said, but I frequently ignore
rsa completely when the noise/information ratio
gets too high.

Let's see I was born with an inherent weakness in the spine -
Spondylolithesis. I damaged the L5 (Lumbar disk) in a ski accident in 1969.
Slightly dislocated it - pushed it forward. I would intermittently suffer
from lower back pain and sciatica but was able to live with it for 4 decades
- until I became a nurse - it migrated more forward - total displacement
about 1cm and things were getting very dicey - constant pain and occasional
loss of muscle control in the legs. The only workable solution was a L5/S1
Fusion/Decompression with Titanium. Most Lumbar procedures will mirror what
is happening to me. You spend two weeks trying to get comfortable with the
staples and the new bone arrangement. Actually, knock on wood, I'm doing
well at this stage. You have to be patient and follow the prescribed
regimen-too much too fast does not work in your favor in this case.
Everything - bones, muscles and nerves need to find their new equilibrium.
You can go stir-crazy, though.

Old September 25th 07, 05:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

vincent walker wrote:

wrote:

Vinnie,
This sounds like what my ex-wife will be going
through for a "synovial cyst" in the lumbar
region.

I knew somebody who had one of those on a toe -- kept forming oil-filled
blisters until the joint was fused. Weird.

What was the reason for your surgery?
You may have said, but I frequently ignore
rsa completely when the noise/information ratio
gets too high.

Let's see I was born with an inherent weakness in the spine -
Spondylolithesis. I damaged the L5 (Lumbar disk) in a ski accident in 1969.
Slightly dislocated it - pushed it forward. I would intermittently suffer
from lower back pain and sciatica but was able to live with it for 4 decades
- until I became a nurse - it migrated more forward - total displacement
about 1cm and things were getting very dicey - constant pain and occasional
loss of muscle control in the legs.

Proof that no good deed goes unpunished!

The only workable solution was a L5/S1
Fusion/Decompression with Titanium. Most Lumbar procedures will mirror what
is happening to me. You spend two weeks trying to get comfortable with the
staples and the new bone arrangement. Actually, knock on wood, I'm doing
well at this stage. You have to be patient and follow the prescribed
regimen-too much too fast does not work in your favor in this case.
Everything - bones, muscles and nerves need to find their new equilibrium.
You can go stir-crazy, though.

Got x-rays to post? Metal is always interesting!

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old September 25th 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bill Armstrong

wrote:

[...]

Good Luck with your recovery. Here is my lumbar case for comparative
purposes, less evasive due to less diagnosis to yours:

3 years of progressive L4 and L5 disc issues from bulge to final rupture
L5 (hard telemark fall last Feb. 07) and the L4 herniation and mild to
moderate stenosis based on CT and MRI scans. Progressively worse pain
and sciatic symptoms which I could not take after 6 weeks of rest and
meds so I opted for surgery. Lumbar laminectomy with discotomy, which
basically means clean out the loose disc fragments in the spine and
loose pieces in the disc while leaving that in place, shaved bone on
vertebrae to relieve pressure on spine and apply steroidal cortisone on
herniation to mitigate that a bit. Surgery in late April 07.

Walking some the next day. Walking only exercise for 6 weeks, then some
light lifting and stretching. Lifting 10 pound at 2 months or so.
Sciatic symptoms almost completely gone immediately, though some return
of minor leg tightness recently. Hikes and lifting under 30 pounds seems
OK, basic house chores, etc. no hard work (I used to moonlight as
landscape laborer). I bought my A-basin pass and other 4 packs on
surgeons advice that skiing will be fine if I heed normal caution
suggestions. I hope to get at least 20 days in (usually I'm 20 - 30+
days on alpine), though bumps may be limited. I plan to go on a hunt
elk in two weeks but only as an observer, no packing out more than 20
pounds, simply want to camp and be in the field. The muscle and tendon
cuts really limited torso strength, twisting exercise or work, and has
been my biggest limitation beyond getting through atrophy elimination.

Patience is key in my case as well, but feeling a lot better and glad I
did it so far.

Cheers

--
Bill Armstrong - Xilinx Colorado -

"Excellence is achieved by the mastery of fundamentals." -- Vince Lombardi

Old September 25th 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Doofus Fighter

On Sep 25, 1:03 pm, The Real Bev wrote:
vincent walker wrote:
wrote:

[...]

X-Rays, MRI's. I heard that I need to get a special card to get
through airport security - can't go setting off those alarms.

Old September 25th 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

vincent walker wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I have two screws above my left ankle. I get through airports ok, but
the metal detector at the Federal Courthouse went off.

Old September 25th 07, 05:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Vincent Walker

On 9/25/07 1:13 PM, in article , "Bill Armstrong"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info. Based upon what the MD told me, I was hoping to do some
light local stuff in the February time frame. Has Physical Therapy suggested
any stretching at this time * it might help that leg tightness.

Old September 25th 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Suzieflame

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 16:45:08 GMT, vincent walker
wrote:

I was born with an inherent weakness in the spine -

Open goal for The Fluffer - will he shoot, will he score?

Suzie
--
Suzieflame