Geneva to Flaine

Old September 12th 04, 11:00 AM
JF

Default Geneva to Flaine

Any recommendations for flights to Geneva from UK Midlands and transfer to
Flaine. At the moment I'm waiting for Easyjet's bookings for April 2005 to
open and thinking about hiring a car for the week at Geneva. Sound
sensible?

John

Old September 12th 04, 11:20 AM
PG

"JF" wrote in message
. ..
| Any recommendations for flights to Geneva from UK Midlands and
transfer to
| Flaine. At the moment I'm waiting for Easyjet's bookings for April
| open and thinking about hiring a car for the week at Geneva. Sound
| sensible?

Check out http://www.thomsonfly.com/en/index.html which does flights
only from Coventry to Lyon, http://www.firstchoice.co.uk/flights/ for
Bham/Lyon or Geneva, http://www.bmibaby.com/bmibaby/en/index.aspx from
East Midlands or Bham to Geneva (Easyjet flies from East Midlands as
well of course).

Pete
SNOWeSCAPE
http://bsm.alpesprovence.net

Old September 12th 04, 07:07 PM
Ian Spare

JF wrote:
Any recommendations for flights to Geneva from UK Midlands and transfer to
Flaine. At the moment I'm waiting for Easyjet's bookings for April 2005 to
open and thinking about hiring a car for the week at Geneva. Sound
sensible?

John

I'd not bother with a car, the local taxi firm do a prebook deal for a
very reasonable price. A lot less trouble I'd think. Flaine's fine but
the other villages in the Gd Massif are good as well so you might look
there as well.

http://www.giffre-transports.com advertise locally for Samoens and
Morillon, they'll probably go to Flaine and they'll probably be a local
company as well.
Old September 13th 04, 09:39 AM
JF

In article , (PG)
wrote:

Check out
http://www.thomsonfly.com/en/index.html which does flights
only from Coventry to Lyon, http://www.firstchoice.co.uk/flights/ for
Bham/Lyon or Geneva, http://www.bmibaby.com/bmibaby/en/index.aspx from
East Midlands or Bham to Geneva (Easyjet flies from East Midlands as
well of course).

Thanks for those links. BA do a scheduled service from Manchester to
Geneva that'll cost around £700 for the four of us, so hopefully we'll get
it down cheaper than that.

Old September 13th 04, 07:57 PM
Gazza

(JF) wrote in message ...
In article ,
(Ian
Spare) wrote:

I'd not bother with a car, the local taxi firm do a prebook deal for a
very reasonable price. A lot less trouble I'd think. Flaine's fine but
the other villages in the Gd Massif are good as well so you might look
there as well.

How much trouble is renting a car? Seriously, I don't do it very often -
what should I be aware of that could go wrong? Arguably it could be more
trouble if the taxi doesn't turn up, especially for the return journey.
It's looking like around £200 to rent a car for the week, which can't be
much more than the taxi fare both ways?

http://www.giffre-transports.com advertise locally for Samoens and
Morillon, they'll probably go to Flaine and they'll probably be a local
company as well.

I thought about car hire but decided against it as I was offered a
return taxi transfer from diy-hols for 211 euros return which was less
than the cost of a hire car at the time. I believe their website is
http://www.diy-hols.com and then you neeed to follow the Geneva
Airport link

Thanks - I'll have a look at this anyway.

Old September 13th 04, 08:14 PM
Steve Haigh

JF wrote:

How much trouble is renting a car? Seriously, I don't do it very often -
what should I be aware of that could go wrong? Arguably it could be more
trouble if the taxi doesn't turn up, especially for the return journey.
It's looking like around £200 to rent a car for the week, which can't be
much more than the taxi fare both ways?

It's not a big deal, but you'll want to check that ski racks and snow
chains are included in that price. If there are more than 2 of you with
skis then you need to watch out, for some bizare reason some companies
will not let you have racks for more than 2 pairs of skis (they all use
the magnetic racks, each set takes 2 pairs of skis).

If you are self catering then a car is very handy, you can load up at
the Supermarche on the way up to the resort, and if you wanted to ski
elsewhere for a day then Chamonix (esp. Les Houches) and St Gervais are
close by. On the other hand, if you are in a hotel and not planning any
trips out then you'll not use the car at all once you're in the resort.

Steve
Old September 14th 04, 06:57 AM
Marco Cattaneo

"Steve Haigh" wrote in message
JF wrote:

[...]

Don't forget to add the price of parking in Flaine (there is no free parking
in the resort). Honestly, if you don't plan to leave Flaine during the week
(other than on skis - the Grand Massif is huge....) you are better off
booking a taxi.

Old September 14th 04, 09:39 AM
JF

In article ,
(Gazza) wrote:

I thought about car hire but decided against it as I was offered a
return taxi transfer from diy-hols for 211 euros return which was less
than the cost of a hire car at the time. I believe their website is
http://www.diy-hols.com and then you neeed to follow the Geneva
Airport link

Thanks for the link. Looks like it'll be around 250 Euros (£170) for us to
and from Flaine. For the extra £30 for a car and the peace of mind that I
can get back to Geneva in time for a flight, I think I'll still go with
car hire.