Grenoble region recommendation ?

Old October 23rd 04, 07:57 PM
Graham in Melton

Default Grenoble region recommendation ?

Looking to do a mad dash for a long weekend skiing (fly Thursday night or
Friday morning) and return Sunday evening ...

Grenoble looks like a good bet * quite close to snow, cheap flights on low
cost carrier etc

Can anyone recommend a decent resort nearby - nothing fancy needed as we'd
only be there two nights and not get much sleep anyhow !

TIA

Old October 25th 04, 08:48 AM
Roger Moss

Depends when - if you can keep an eye on snow conditions, then just go when
things are perfect, try Villard de Lans. It's nearby, friendly,
reasonably-priced and very beautiful. The skiing is also good for most
levels, and should keep you happy for a weekend. Lots of cross-country
nearby, too.

All very French - lots of owner-occupier apartments mean the locals head up
for some fun at weekends, so its relaxed without being comatose, and
behaviour both on and off-piste was refreshingly courteous when I was there.

Bon ski...

RM

Old October 26th 04, 02:01 AM
PG

"Roger Moss" wrote in message
| Depends when - if you can keep an eye on snow conditions, then just go
when
| things are perfect, try Villard de Lans. It's nearby, friendly,
| reasonably-priced and very beautiful. The skiing is also good for most
| levels, and should keep you happy for a weekend. Lots of cross-country
| nearby, too.
|
| All very French - lots of owner-occupier apartments mean the locals
head up
| for some fun at weekends, so its relaxed without being comatose, and
| behaviour both on and off-piste was refreshingly courteous when I was
there.

Second the above about the Vecors resorts - an hour or so from Grenoble
airport (which is at St Etienne de St Geoirs by the way, some distance
NE of Grenoble itself.)

Otherwise you can get to Alpe d'Huez and Deux Alpes in little more than
90 minutes, traffic conditions around Grenoble permitting, or St
Francois Longchamp in the Savoie Maurienne valley in 1h 50, or Méribel
in the 3V in 2 hours.

Pete - SNOWeSCAPE
http://bsm.alpesprovence.net