Time for New Equipment

Old February 19th 04, 02:51 PM
Gary Kamieneski

Default Time for New Equipment

I have been skiing the last 15 to 20 years on the same equipment and
think the time has come for their replacement. My skis are Dynastar
Course SLs, 203cm with Marker MR bindings and Nordica GP 980 boots. I
am 6'1", 185# and my skiing has been all-mountain but I prefer the
steeps and in their day the slalom skis served me well in the bumps
and glades.

Now I know that I'm likely to get as many different opinions as
think. I still enjoy using this old equipment but I believe the MRs
are no longer indemnified, the Nordica liners no longer keep me warm
and I'm getting a lot of stares skiing on the 203s (must be those red
bubbles on the tips!). Also, as I get older, reaching down to click
into the MRs is proving that I'm not as flexible as I used to be.

I'm partial to Dynastars and would probably consider Atomics but what
style and size ski would I get to compare to the slalom skis used
all-mountain? Would I still enjoy a race slalom ski of today? My
Nordicas can be locked down for stiffness and leaned farther forward.
They are also canted and heavily customized. What Nordicas from today
would afford me similar functionality? Are any of them still using
the GP shell that I would be familiar with?

Thanks for listening.
Old February 20th 04, 12:08 PM
Mary Malmros

Modern slalom skis are much shorter, with a much more radical
sidecut. Demo to see if you like 'em. Personally, I love 'em -- I
use an Atomic slalom ski for my all-rounders. You might also look
at their GX, SX, or new GSX. Demo demo demo.

--
Mary Malmros