Speaking of crashing ...

Old August 20th 03, 03:45 PM
J999w

Default Speaking of crashing ...

Went out biking last night on the Glacial Drumlin bike path (paved). Left just
before dusk and knew I'd be rolling home in the dark, but I guess the battery
didn't have enough juice, and went dead about 5 miles left to the car.

I _thought_ I could see okay, but a kid (20yrs old) wearing dark clothes, and
no lights was comming the other way and ... *WHAM* !!

Head on.

We must have butted heads, because I was seeing stars as I flew through the
air. It felt like I was in the fetal position, and I recall seeing the sky go
by twice, then _plop_, I finally stopped. Initially I couldn't move my arms or
legs, but within a few seconds I started comming around. I layed there about 5
minutes and then I heard: " Are you okay?? ... Oh ... guess not".

It was the kid, about 15 ft down the trail, also still on the ground, rolling,
groggy.

Fortunately, there had been someone following me from behind (he said he was
following my blinking tail light and suddenly it dissapeared ... "where did he
go??" ), and he gave us a ride. I talked to the kids folks when I got home, and
sounded like he was just shaken up.

Short story ... 4 stitches on my right elbow, xrays negative, and my tetanus
booster is good until 2013.

Be sure to wear your helmets kiddies ! (and bring a spare battery when out at
night).

John WIlke
Milwaukee
(one lucky SOB)
Old August 20th 03, 11:31 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

Glad to hear you survived. Damn kids...

J999w wrote:

Did a post mortem on the equipment.

Bike - few scuffs.

Clothes - soaked in blood (friend says that this morning it looked like someone
gutted an animal on the trail).

Helmet - trashed. All busted up in the back and right side. Must have taken a
big hit.

No wonder I had a headache.

jw