Skiing Jan - France: Chamonix or Val D'Isere

Old October 15th 05, 05:48 AM
Rodger Williams

Default Skiing Jan - France: Chamonix or Val D'Isere

Hi,

Can anyone give advice on which would be better to visit in Jan?

Thanks

Old October 15th 05, 07:03 AM
BrritSki

Rodger Williams wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone give advice on which would be better to visit in Jan?

Probable best to ask in rec.skiing.resorts.europe and also explain what
you mean by "better".

Old October 15th 05, 07:19 AM
Rodger Williams

Any alternate suggestions? We went to Vail in Jan this year and it was
awesome, good snow, no lift queues, only very expensive. Looking form
something similar, but with village feel and good variety of intermediate
runs.

Thanks.

"AstroPax" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 07:48:24 +0200, "Rodger Williams"
wrote:

Can anyone give advice

Boycott France.

-Astro

Old October 15th 05, 09:40 AM
National Champion 2004

I must say that i find Val D'isere the best for upper intermediate and
expert skiers. what level are the skiers who who will be attending this
trip be? that cvan make the choice alot easier!

Sam

Old October 15th 05, 12:57 PM
Rodger Williams

We are average intermediate. We could handle red slopes quite well, but
struggle on black and moguls.

Rodger

oups.com...

Old October 15th 05, 02:36 PM
pigo

"Rodger Williams" wrote in message
Any alternate suggestions? We went to Vail in Jan this year and it
was awesome, good snow, no lift queues, only very expensive.
Looking form something similar, but with village feel and good
variety of intermediate runs.

Thanks.

I was at Courchevelle in the summer around 1990. Before the latest
round of treachery. But I did lots of hiking in the area and it
looked like it had loads of "intermediate" stuff. But Italy and Spain
have good skiing too. And there's that little country above Spain. I
avoid France now too.

Old October 16th 05, 02:15 AM
ant

pigo wrote:
"Rodger Williams" wrote in message
Any alternate suggestions? We went to Vail in Jan this year and it
was awesome, good snow, no lift queues, only very expensive.
Looking form something similar, but with village feel and good
variety of intermediate runs.

Thanks.

I was at Courchevelle in the summer around 1990. Before the latest
round of treachery. But I did lots of hiking in the area and it
looked like it had loads of "intermediate" stuff. But Italy and Spain
have good skiing too. And there's that little country above Spain. I
avoid France now too.

Andorra? you have to watch out for the Poms there though, it's sort-of like
a winter Ibiza for them.

Italy can be very cheap. A lot of Australians head for the Cortina region
for the stretchy dollar and great skiing. Good food too.

--
ant

Old October 16th 05, 05:57 PM
Alistair

Rodger

I skied Chamonix a few years back and it is awsome, but very hard, for blue
read red, for red read black and for black read Oh My God (at the time it
was to hard for me...!!!). The areas are disjointed with bus rides up the
valley to each one. The day trip through to Courmayer was the only respite
we had with some good tree line skiing and nice mountain huts. Chamonix will
be very cold in January so wrap up warm and don't miss the Vallee Blanche if
it's open.

regards

Al

Old October 17th 05, 03:57 PM
dizzy

"ant" wrote in message
Andorra? you have to watch out for the Poms there though, it's sort-of
like a winter Ibiza for them.

Winter Ibiza fits the description. Cheap, crowded and overall good value for
money for beginners and low intermediates.

Italy can be very cheap. A lot of Australians head for the Cortina region
for the stretchy dollar and great skiing. Good food too.

Cortina is arguably the most expensive resort in Italy. Intermediates who
look for the best value for their money would be better advised to target
the Sella Ronda region.

Old October 17th 05, 04:26 PM
dizzy

"pigo" wrote in message
I was at Courchevelle in the summer around 1990. Before the latest round
of treachery. But I did lots of hiking in the area and it looked like it
had loads of "intermediate" stuff. But Italy and Spain have good skiing
too. And there's that little country above Spain. I avoid France now too.

France is indeed not the nicest place to stay, but that's where you get the
best snow in Europe and world's biggest lift-linked areas. It has a lot of
options for all skill levels and the off-piste resort of La Grave reserved
for experts only.