Combi skis that aren't TOO bad?

Old February 7th 10, 03:05 PM
Jan Gerrit Klok Jan Gerrit Klok is offline
Member

Location: Netherlands
Send a message via MSN to Jan Gerrit Klok Send a message via Yahoo to Jan Gerrit Klok
Default Combi skis that aren't TOO bad?

I realize they won't skate very quickly, and I won't get the glide nor the kick of well waxed classic skis, but I feel there is a place for combi skis.

It was on a recent solo A-to-B tour, that I found out. I was on skate skis as usual, not in any hurry having race the same morning, and stumbled on some classic-only tracks as the only route to reach my destination (Ruhpolding biathlon course). Needless to say, the double poling was little fun.

They are rare, but combi skis, often old stock, are out there.

I think I've seen some as long as 207cm, while the Atomic Pro Combi's come in skating lengths. Being a very tall fellow myself, I won't mind long skis, even to skate for more of a day, with dragging fish scales or grip tape.

Does any of you have any expereince on combi skis, or using specific skis as combi's? Alternative (crazy) methods such as tape on soft skate skis?

Thanks in advance,

Old February 7th 10, 10:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Gunde

Default Easier to prep, faster to ski? G2 vs grip tape

On Feb 7, 5:22*am, Jan Gerrit Klok Jan.Gerrit.Klok.
wrote:
Hi all,

From all I've read, it seems when I want to enjoy good classic skiing
(I will pnly manage limited mileage), Zero skis are safe bet for Zero
conditions. When I am in the position to score some, I suppose I'll
have to.

But I want something more all-round too, preferably on a budget (I
don't have access to large stock shops to be fitted from, and can'r
justify the cash involved).

What is my best best to get easy kick and good glide, from an equal
quality and flex ski:
- G2 (Grip&Glide) fish scale type no-wax skis (glide wax and forget)
- Grip tape on waxable skis (remove a bit of tape at a time, until
perfect?)

Atomic for instance, has their Pro Classic boards (I am LOVING their
Pro Skate for what it is, even though I have "nicer" $$$ skate skis
too) in both G2 and waxable. These are affordable skis, and hey, I
already have Atomic classic boots. The older ones match color. No, I'm
not gay, just got a thing for boots and skis.

Yes, I know a good waxed ski is only to be beat in Zero conditions, but
my mileage will just not justify stocking up on hard waxes and klisters,
or spending much time figuring this out.

Thanks in advance,

Jan Gerrit Klok

Jan,

After many years of resisting, I bought a pair of Fisher RCR
(fishscales) last season. They are flexed well for me with wear
pattern 1-2 inches away from the ends of the fishscale pattern. They
do drag at times, but overall produce a nice classic experience. They
also demand reasonable technique to get kick, so they keep me from
doing lazy weight shift. I have been using them in mixed conditions
(sunny and shaded) and like them then. Of course a waxed ski in
consistent cold conditons has better glide.

So my advice: if you buy a fishscalle ski, make sure the fit is good
and error on the side of stiff.

Old February 7th 10, 11:59 PM
Jan Gerrit Klok Jan Gerrit Klok is offline
Member

Location: Netherlands
Send a message via MSN to Jan Gerrit Klok Send a message via Yahoo to Jan Gerrit Klok

Thanks Gunde, very much appreciated!

Odd, on my viewer, (skibanter.com) it seems like you replied to my combi ski question.

I like your advice to go stiff. Especially as that gets me into a longer ski with cheaper models, which just makes all kinds of sense to me for scientific reasons, on top of me being overly tall on my legs.

Have you ever considered filling up the fish scales where they drag a bit? New RCR's may be well too nice to do crude garage science experiments on.
The pair I had that was well under flexed for me, I sold to a guy who just loved the absolute grip and "controlled" glide. I had already started glide waxing part of the grip zone but they remained anchors.
Old February 8th 10, 05:38 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Someone who visits Fischer every summer to pick skis was commenting to
me recently that ideally Crowns should ride high while being easy to
close, but Fischer doesn't get it.

Gene

Old February 8th 10, 12:17 PM
Jan Gerrit Klok Jan Gerrit Klok is offline
Member

Location: Netherlands
Send a message via MSN to Jan Gerrit Klok Send a message via Yahoo to Jan Gerrit Klok

Perhaps because the local (European) public that buys skis, actually prefers to go really slow? This might be different from the rest of the world.

A skis that rides high and closes easily, might that ask for some very exact skier weight tuning perhaps? I fall in the 70-100kg category, which doesn't give me much confidence in the shops having to sell them to me. And if I go into a foreign shop, the one pair of big skis they have always seems to be "Perfekt für Ihnen, mein Herr".
Old February 8th 10, 06:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jim[_3_]

Regarding "filling up the fish scales" I have an old pair of fish-
scale skis (I think Track Marathons)
that are reasonably narrow and reasonably stiff for a no-wax ski but
the pattern was way too long.
So one evening when I had a lot of time on my hands I took a file and
some sand paper and sanded
down about 5 cm on either end of the pattern. They actually work
rather well now in many conditions.

I know people who have requested something similar during a stone-
grind job -- I suspect that would
have cost me much more than I paid for the skis originally.

Jim

--
Jan Gerrit Klok