Mounting pilot skate bindings on NIS plated skis

Old January 26th 11, 05:22 AM
HackSkier HackSkier is offline
Junior Member

Thanks for the info. I have a similar situation except I have some older (8 years approx) Rottefella bindings I want to mount to new skis with NIS plates. Can I screw them to the NIS plates just like the Salomon Pilot bindings?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Caldwell View Post
Mounting bindings on top of NIS plates is fine. The net effect is that
you end up with a bit of a binding lift. I know that Madshus (by their
report) has removed one or two laminations designed to hold the binding
screws from the inside of the ski and replaced it with the relatively
supple ABS of the NIS plate which also provides plenty of material for
the screws to hang onto. They claim that this provides a more supple
flex characteristic to the skis - and it has been my impression that
the NIS skis are generally better - especially on the classic side of
things.

For this past year the NIS skis cost about $15 more than the comparable
non-NIS model (at least in the Madshus line). Next year all the race
skis will be NIS. They have apparently adjusted the mold fort he NIS
plate so that there are pre-centered holes or hollows for Salomon
binding screws. Provided they do a good job positioning the NIS plate
(which they do) this will make it easier rather than harder to mount
Salomon bindings.

The biggest knock on putting bindings on top of NIS plates is that it
doesn't look super "clean". That may be a concern for some people, and
because psychology should not be underestimated as a factor is ski
performance, it's a valid concern. However, the top level skiers who
are on Madshus and Salomon are using NIS skis with good success.

Zach