I am a female beg. snowboarder

Old September 27th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
SweetD

Default I am a female beg. snowboarder

Hi!

I am a female beg. snowboarder and my hubby wants to buy me a
snowboard. I was looking at the Burton Feather 153 cm. Will that be
okay for me? I am 5'8" tall and weigh 138lbs. I don't rem. what size
snowboard I rented last year but I had a hard time doing heel stops but
I was ok at doing the toe stops. My question is for my height weight
and skill, is the Burton 153 feather ok?
Hope to hear from you soon!

Old September 28th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

SweetD wrote:
Hi!

I am a female beg. snowboarder and my hubby wants to buy me a
snowboard. I was looking at the Burton Feather 153 cm. Will that be
okay for me? I am 5'8" tall and weigh 138lbs. I don't rem. what size
snowboard I rented last year but I had a hard time doing heel stops but
I was ok at doing the toe stops. My question is for my height weight
and skill, is the Burton 153 feather ok?
Hope to hear from you soon!

Gah, Google ate my post. Ok, the Burton Feather is made for
extra-lightweight women rides and so it is too soft for you. If the
board is too soft, it will overbend and has a tendency to flap and go
out of control. The Feather 153's maximum recommended weight is 125
lbs. If you like Burton, go for the Feelgood 152 as it is recommend up
to 140 lbs. Since you are still starting out, being towards the upper
end will allow you to flex the board easily (allowing for quick and
easy turning). As you get better, you'll want to get boards where you
are in the middle or lower end of the weight range as relatively
stiffer boards have more stability once you start riding steeper
slopes. To give you a reference point, I was around 5'8" 130 lbs when I
bought my first board and it was a 152.

Burton's lower end stuff (below $350) isn't that good in my opinion...
so stick to the high-end stuff from last season (you should be able to
get 30-40% off minimum). Otherwise, if you don't mind buying a used
board, I would highly recommend getting a Prior Majestic
(http://priorsnowboards.com/used_boar....php?BSTY_ID=5) - it is
what I had my girlfriend get for the upcoming season (she just started
last year). The Donek Phoenix 155 (www.donek.com) is also a great
board. Don't be afraid of the length as it rides like a shorter board.
Actually because it rides more like a medium-flex 151-152 board (this
is an oversimplification), I ended up selling my Phoenix 155 to my
friend who is like 5'6" 140 lbs and he loves it. The only thing about
it is that it is much harder to find it for less than it's normal sale
price. If you search Google Groups you will find lots of postings about
the Prior and Donek snowboard brands.

Old September 28th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Mike T

I am a female beg. snowboarder and my hubby wants to buy me a
snowboard. I was looking at the Burton Feather 153 cm. Will that be
okay for me? I am 5'8" tall and weigh 138lbs.

If you like Burton, go for the Feelgood 152 as it is recommend up
to 140 lbs

My wife had a Feelgood 155 from about 6 uears ago that she liked quite a
bit - definitley one of those boards that works well for a rider at any
level. That was the board she "grew up" as a snowboarder on.

I would highly recommend getting a Prior Majestic
(http://priorsnowboards.com/used_boar....php?BSTY_ID=5) - it is
what I had my girlfriend get for the upcoming season (she just started
last year). The Donek Phoenix 155 (www.donek.com) is also a great
board. Don't be afraid of the length as it rides like a shorter board.

She now has a custom Phoenix 155 that is a little narrower than stock as
well as having a little less sidecut. The width is to accommodate her size
W6 boots and the sidecut changes is to make it more stable at speed. She's
quite advanced as far as freeriding by now.

The Feelgood 152 will probably be slightly easier to turn and skid, the
Phoenix 155 might require a little more precise input. If you're
athletically inclined, maybe go with the Phoenix. If not as much, maybe go
with the Feelgood.

Mike T

Old October 1st 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
56fish

Been a Burton dealer for 10 years, selling boards for 16 years. Last
year's 154 Feather would be great. This years constuction was
lightened-up, would not suggest usage for your height & weight.
Depending on your shoe size, stance & desired riding (terrain) -
Burton's Stigma, G-Twin, Troop & Feelgood in appropriate sizes are
excellent choices.

Also, w/ your physical specs, a "guys" board is not out of the
question.

Deal w/ a respectable local shop. Trust the most experience employee
(hopefully - lengthy tenure). Good shops usually won't steer you wrong.