2001 Rossignol 9x Pro

Old November 6th 03, 02:50 AM
Jiyang Chen

Default 2001 Rossignol 9x Pro

I am starting skiing, and need some help. I would like to avoid buying
beginners skis only to have to upgrade later.

I am a beginner skier, and have only skiied once quite a while ago. Is the
2001 Rossignol 9x Pro good all mountain ski or is the 9s a better option?
I don't plan on going on the jumps or moguls. Or should I get a non-race
ski like the bandit X? Can the 9x be used for everyday skiing, or is it a
race-only product?

I heard that the GS skis are difficult to learn on. How much more difficult
is it? I don't mind a higher learning curve, but I don't want a pair that's
impossible to use.

Thanks!
Jiyang

Old November 6th 03, 03:24 AM
Jiyang Chen

Also in my list: Viper Z

Old November 6th 03, 09:45 AM
Mark

"Jiyang Chen" wrote in message ...
Also in my list: Viper Z

I've got the 9s and they are a great ski. I'm not sure if they would
suit you as a beginner as they are pretty stiff and you would be
better to find a softer ski to learn with. If you are going to chose
between 9s and 9x then choose 9s as they will turn more easily.

The Bandits are also supposed to be very good and might be a bit
softer.
Old November 6th 03, 03:35 PM
Anders Svennevik

As you are a "beginner skier" the 9S and 9X will be too much for you, they
are racing skis intended for experts and racers. The risk is that you will
use defensive incorrect techniques to cope with the skis and in no way ski
them as intended.

The Viper Z is a slightly detuned 9S and will also be too much. I don't know
anything about the Bandit X.

To answer your other questions - the 9S and 9X can be used as everday skis,
I have seen lots of skiers using them and personally I ski the 9S.

I would suggest you use the Gear Finder at www.skiingmag.com or at
www.skimag.com. I would not suggest any skis higher than intermediate.

Anders

Old November 6th 03, 03:46 PM
John

"Jiyang Chen" wrote in message ...
Also in my list: Viper Z

Ahh Jiyang of RBR fame. You will wear out a race ski before you grow
into it. I race I just bought the new 9xs and I own slalom race skis
as well (volkl p50 sc race stock). Not only will you be wasting money,
but you won't even reach your own potential. Even if you were good
enough, you probably still wouldn't want a race ski. If you had to
choose between the two go for the slalom ski and if you have to choose
between the 3 go for the viper z.

This is not like a bike where you would just be wasting money and
looking cool. If you get a race ski and can't handle it you will
actually ski worse. For example a race slalom ski will have a
tremendous amount of rebound. If you are sitting back you will get
kicked for a ride. A GS ski will not slow down. At high speed you
probably won't be able to initiate the next turn properly and you will
be screwed.

My reccomendation is however buy a ski that is designed for an
advanced intermediate. Don't ask me what that is though. If you
improve in two three years get a new ski then (skis have limited
life). A ski for an intermediate will practically turn for you. An
intermediate ski will be the fastest way to make linked parallel
turns. You can get down anything with an intermediate ski.

The most thing to realize is that boots are the most important thing.
A half inch of lateral movement in the boot is equivalent to 6 inches
at the ski tip. Your boots should be as tight as you can handle even
as a beginner. I mean most beginners don;t take this advice, but it
hurts there performance. You also need to be able to flex the boot so
don't a race boot or something with 100 or 90 flex index.
Old November 6th 03, 09:46 PM
Jay Pique

On 6 Nov 2003 16:43:53 GMT, Sven Golly
wrote:

"Anders Svennevik" wrote in news:dLuqb.32597
:

I would not suggest any skis higher than intermediate.

Nonsense. If the guy is athletic and has the snow sense from boarding, an
intermediate ski could bore him quickly.

I disagree - an expert ski would be more difficult to learn on right
way, and I'd be very surprised if someone could pick up skiing so
quickly that they'd be best off by starting with an expert ski.

Besides, there are lots of skis
that cover a wide range of abilities these days. The K2 Axis series or
Salomon Pilot series, f'rinstance.

I agree with those two sentences.

JP
**************************
Working with latex.
Old November 6th 03, 10:36 PM
lal_truckee

Sven Golly wrote:

"Anders Svennevik" wrote in news:dLuqb.32597
:

I would not suggest any skis higher than intermediate.

Nonsense. If the guy is athletic and has the snow sense from boarding, an
intermediate ski could bore him quickly.

Bt "snow sense from boarding" I suppose you mean "The ability to
side-slip anything?" Almost NONE (certainly less than 5%) of the
boarders I've observed riding CAN actually carve their boards (and fewer
are actually DOING it); contrairy-wise I suspect fully 95% BELIEVE they
are carving because they are on edge, and by definition that's "carving"
to them, as they skid down the slope.

If he wants a ski that skis like a board rides, he needs a soft
beginner-intermediate ski. Hopefully he's moving to skiing from boarding
because he wants better performance, so something else would be in
order... maybe an intermediate mid-fat mid-length ski, used with
bindings. Something like a 3-4 year old Salomon X Scream 7 ...

Old November 7th 03, 11:32 PM
Jiyang Chen

Thanks for all the advice. So it's basically the Viper Z, or Bandit X, both
2001 models, both $149.

Is the Bandit X the better all-around ski?