Pre-Christmas in Switzerland

Old July 15th 03, 02:23 PM
Frances Hinden

Default Pre-Christmas in Switzerland

For family reasons I have an opportunity to get four days skiing
before Christmas (20-23) anywhere within easy reach by train of both a
big airport (Geneva/Zurich/Basel) AND Basel city.

Train timetables seem to suggest in order of distance Engelberg,
Wengen, Crans Montana or St Anton. Where are we most likely to have
decent snow that early and be able to find a hotel that doesn't insist
on a Christmas booking?

Or is there anywhere possible on a daily commute from Basel that will
have snow?
Old July 15th 03, 02:51 PM
Ace

On 15 Jul 2003 07:23:00 -0700, (Frances Hinden)
wrote:

For family reasons I have an opportunity to get four days skiing
before Christmas (20-23) anywhere within easy reach by train of both a
big airport (Geneva/Zurich/Basel) AND Basel city.

Train timetables seem to suggest in order of distance Engelberg,
Wengen, Crans Montana or St Anton.

I'd probably not include Crans (4+ hours away) and certainly not St.
Anton (a whole country away - it's in Austria). I would add Andermatt,
Grindelwald (OK it's connected to Wengen), possibly Adelboden.

If you _are_ prepared to be 4+ hours away, then you should definitely
consider Saas Fee and Zermatt, both of which are very high and stand a
much better chance of getting decent snow.

Where are we most likely to have
decent snow that early and be able to find a hotel that doesn't insist
on a Christmas booking?

Swiss hotels are much less rigid than French about Saturday-Saturday
bookings, so if you book reasonably in advance I wouldn't expect you'd
have too much of a problem.

Or is there anywhere possible on a daily commute from Basel that will
have snow?

We regularly ski single days, from Basel, at most of the stations in
my first paragraph, but it can make for a tiring day if you've got
work in the morning :-}

I think if I was in your situation, without a car, I'd probably choose
to stay in Zermatt or Saas Fee - both high and snowsure, with
excellent skiing(although SF's not quite as chalenging as Zermatt),
both pretty, lively towns and both fairly well connected by rail.

--
Ace in Alsace - bruce dot rogers at roche dot com
Ski Club of Great Britain