ok, let me rephrase the whistler question

Old September 3rd 04, 09:42 AM
ant

"Bob Lee" wrote in message
Absolutely! And this, people, is one more excellent reason you should
never, under any circumstances, ski powder! It is not worth the risk.
If, in spite of your best efforts to avoid it, you should find yourself
faced with powder, immediately stop and wait until a uniformed resort
employee comes and tells you that it's safe to move.

I get this question several times per season:

"Do they close the resort if it starts snowing?"

I have NO idea why they think this!

ant

Old September 3rd 04, 12:29 PM
pigo

"ant" wrote in message

We got that in the East a few times last season. You were going through

knee
deep stuff, in "powder mode" while hearing the scrape of ice underneath,

and
having to edge to deal with it.

ant

I'm talking about the stuff that isn't even there. No power mode. Ski it
just like hardpack, with all the noise, you just can't see.

Old September 3rd 04, 12:31 PM
pigo

"Mike" wrote in message
My point is fresh snow is always great... In Salt Lake and in Whistler.

I've tried to ski some that wasn't.

My January trip to Salt lake was during a warm spell. I was 4 days after

great storm, but a warm spell hit the region. Alta was sunny with highs

in
the upper 40's for several days. The light powder that once existed was

now
gone and the surface snow was hard pack, crusty and icy.

One trip? One circumstance? That's what I thought.

"pigo" wrote in message

"foot2foot" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

As for the snow. It really is not that different than salt lake.

Snow
during the storm and the day after is great. 3 sunny days after the

last
storm, Salt lake snow and Whistler snow are the same... hard pack

and
Icy.

I find this an interesting statement.

I found it interesting too. But since no one skis *in* Salt Lake the
comparison is accurate. I've skied light powder weeks after the last

storm
here in the Wasatch though.

I've skied 2-3 feet of snow here that you couldn't even tell was there

too.
I was still skiing the hardpack or whatever happend to be underneath

without
any cushion at all.

pigo

Old September 3rd 04, 02:36 PM
Let Mikey Ski It!

Bob Lee wrote:
Absolutely! And this, people, is one more excellent reason you should
never, under any circumstances, ski powder! It is not worth the risk.
If, in spite of your best efforts to avoid it, you should find yourself
faced with powder, immediately stop and wait until a uniformed resort
employee comes and tells you that it's safe to move.

Believe Bob when he speaks these words! He has had many bad experiences
to which I can attest:

http://homepage.mac.com/saemisch/SJ2.../dsc_5829.html

Mike... 8J

(hee hee hee)

--
See my ski photography at: http://PowderDay.us
Carpe powder-diem
Old September 3rd 04, 04:27 PM
Bob Lee

Let Mikey Ski It! said:

Bob Lee wrote:
Absolutely! And this, people, is one more excellent reason you should
never, under any circumstances, ski powder! It is not worth the risk.
If, in spite of your best efforts to avoid it, you should find yourself
faced with powder, immediately stop and wait until a uniformed resort
employee comes and tells you that it's safe to move.

Believe Bob when he speaks these words! He has had many bad experiences
to which I can attest:

http://homepage.mac.com/saemisch/SJ2.../dsc_5829.html

See? That's what I'm talkin' about - it's frickin' dangerous. I'd have
been totally hosed if the brave and dedicated people skiing with me hadn't
stopped laughing long enough to bail my ass out.

I can't stress how important it is to avoid deep snow, no matter how nice it
looks. Why, only the day before that picture was taken, I was in a fool's
paradise, never imagining the doom that awaited me:
http://homepage.mac.com/saemisch/SJ2.../dsc_5663.html

Bob
Old September 3rd 04, 07:11 PM
bdubya

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 08:36:59 -0600, "Let Mikey Ski It!"
wrote:

Bob Lee wrote:
Absolutely! And this, people, is one more excellent reason you should
never, under any circumstances, ski powder! It is not worth the risk.
If, in spite of your best efforts to avoid it, you should find yourself
faced with powder, immediately stop and wait until a uniformed resort
employee comes and tells you that it's safe to move.

Believe Bob when he speaks these words! He has had many bad experiences
to which I can attest:

http://homepage.mac.com/saemisch/SJ2.../dsc_5829.html

Mike... 8J

(hee hee hee)

Umm......you were saying something about BAD experiences?

bw
Old September 4th 04, 12:13 AM
uglymoney

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 21:44:19 -0600, "pigo"
wrote:

"uglymoney" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 06:12:19 -0600, "pigo"
wrote:

I've skied 2-3 feet of snow here that you couldn't even tell was there

too.
I was still skiing the hardpack or whatever happend to be underneath

without
any cushion at all.

I've had some days like that. 2.5 feet of snow at Telluride one day
that was featherlight, but you were still skiing the bumps underneath
that were impossible to see!

2.5 feet and feeling the bumps is not really what I'm talking about. I've
skied 4' of untracked and gotten air off bumps and landed 2-3 bumps down.
I'm talking about 2.5 feet of snow that feels and skis like you're skiing on
manmade period. All the noise and vibration of boiler plate except for the
thigh deep snow that keeps you from seeing any of it.

But what it really gets down to is that anyone that says Whistler is like
the Wasatch just doesn't ski much or is reality a trunky type personality.

pigo

I just locked in my first weekend out west this year. Free ticket on
Untied if they stay solvent, and I could only get the deal for flights
800 miles, so I out of CR, IA. I am stuck going to Denver the second
weekend of December. Hopefully some snow exists in a natural state on
those two days. The weekend before I am caught up hunting monster
bucks here in Iowa, and the weekend after I am in Florida with a
couple diving friends from college who want to see the S. Grove before
it is grown over..

I need to get to the Wasatch again though. I know this for a fact.
Unfortunately, like Walt, I've gotten screwed during my previous visit
and have never hit it during a powder cycle..

My fondest memory of Utah skiing is as a fourteen year old. Guiding
my family on our first ootah vacation complete with mother induced
Tabernacle visits that about killed my athiest father and myself, we
took the wagon up the hill from Midvale to Park City. First we went
to Park City. I got out, examined the hill, the old slow gondola, and
expressed dismay at what was in front of me. Next off to Park West.
WHAT the hell is this place? Sorry, but I learned to ski at JH.
Finally over to Deer Valley where we pulled up and they grabbed all
the skis off of our wagons roof and waited for us to evacuate the '78
Mercury Zephyr Wagon. I jumped out (my dad stayed in staying close to
the cooler), examined the stiff holding my ski, examined the
mountain, declared it a mountain for stiffs, and promptlyl ordered my
dad to drive to Alta.

Damn I was a smart kid. Other than those flourescent Hexcels mounted
with Bessers I had it going on. Plus my dad trusted my powder sense
which gave me complete control over the families winter vacation.

Ah, the power of powder.

Pow!

Pow! Pow!

Powwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! Pow! papapapPooooow!

Okay, I am ready for winter. POW!

nate
Old September 4th 04, 01:05 AM
ant

"uglymoney" wrote in message
Finally over to Deer Valley where we pulled up and they grabbed all
the skis off of our wagons roof and waited for us to evacuate the '78
Mercury Zephyr Wagon. I jumped out (my dad stayed in staying close to
the cooler),

guarding the beer. Very prudent, in Utah.

ant

Old September 6th 04, 03:40 PM
AstroPax

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 20:40:21 -0700, "Mike" wrote:

As for the snow. It really is not that different than salt lake. Snow
during the storm and the day after is great. 3 sunny days after the last
storm, Salt lake snow and Whistler snow are the same... hard pack and Icy.

Mike,

You sound like an expert consultant on Utah snow.

Just out of curiosity, precisely how many times have you actually
skied anywhere in Utah at somewhere other than Park ****ty or The
Crayons on the 3rd sunny day after the last storm?

-Astro

---
maximum exposure f/2.8
http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro/03-04/index.htm