Boots packing out, advice please..

Old February 13th 05, 12:08 PM
Georg Klein

Default Boots packing out, advice please..

Following some foot problems with a previous pair of boots, I spent quite a
bit of money two years ago to get a pair of boots with custom foot-bed and
heat-fit liners. I like them. Trouble is, they seem to be packing out all of
a sudden - I went skiing for a week in January and by the end of the week I
had to do the shin buckles up to max (used to be one or two away from max)
and my ankles weren't being held in effectively anymore.

I was a bit surprised by this - they're just 2 years old and I've not skiied
more than around 7 weeks in them. I'm wondering if the heated boot rack on
the last trip had a negative effect.

So what can I do? If I re-heat the liners, will that reset them? Have people
had success with this? Is there something I can do myself?

Ta for any advice,
Georg

--
Spamblock: Swap last two vowels in domain

Old February 13th 05, 02:29 PM
pigo

The boot shops use sticky sided foam of differing thicknesses and
stick them on the liner between liner and shell. A couple of
boomerang shapes around the ankle bones sounds like a good place for
you to start. Just behind the toes is good too.

On warmer days your boots are going to be "more spacious" than colder
ones no matter what.

pigo

Old February 14th 05, 01:06 AM
ant

"Georg Klein" wrote in message
Following some foot problems with a previous pair of boots, I spent quite
bit of money two years ago to get a pair of boots with custom foot-bed and
heat-fit liners. I like them. Trouble is, they seem to be packing out all
of
a sudden - I went skiing for a week in January and by the end of the week
had to do the shin buckles up to max (used to be one or two away from max)
and my ankles weren't being held in effectively anymore.

My atomics had heated inners too...bit of a gimick I think. They also are
packing out. A thing to help heel hold is a couple of bits of neoprene foam
at the front of the ankle, to push the foot back into the heel pocket. Very
effective.
Meanwhile, slightly thicker socks also help a lot! And see if you can have
those buckles moved a bit, so they can be done up tighter.

ant

Old February 14th 05, 06:55 PM
Georg Klein

ant wrote:
"Georg Klein" wrote in message

My atomics had heated inners too...bit of a gimick I think. They also
are packing out. A thing to help heel hold is a couple of bits of
neoprene foam at the front of the ankle, to push the foot back into
the heel pocket. Very effective.

Sounds like extra padding it is. Thanks both for the advice.

Old February 16th 05, 01:28 AM
Jack Nixon

ant wrote:

[...]

Ant, I don't think sarcasm comes across well in news groups, but I'll attempt it
here. Making your boots fit better by going to thicker socks it wonderful
advice.

Jack

Old February 16th 05, 06:37 AM
ant

"Jack Nixon" wrote in message

ant wrote:

[...]

On the contrary, when my boots start to not fit so well, I start to wear
thicker socks.

I wear my ski boots for 10 months of every year. For much of those 10
months, I wear them for 7 or more hours every day. So I have great
opportunity to chart the change in my boots.
at some point, the thin socks exacerbate the change in the boots. Wearing
thicker socks lessens the negative effect. Boot fitters sell wondeful
things, but the reality is that boots pack out.
So you might start with stockings, then thin dress socks, then "ski" socks,
and then you can start to get creative. That's about where I am right now
and I got my boots in June last year.

ant

Old February 16th 05, 12:42 PM
VtSkier

Jack Nixon wrote:

ant wrote:

[...]

I always get my new boots fitted with the thinnest liner
socks available. This allows me to go to thicker socks as
time goes on. I KNOW my boot will pack out.

VtSkier
Old February 16th 05, 01:11 PM
Ron - NY

I have been experimenting a little with socks and I'm starting to come
around to believe that thinner socks DO actually keep your feet warmer
because of the sweat factor . Sweat + Cold = a very bad ski day . Thin socks
don't make your feet sweat so they stay dryer and warmer .
Ron

Old February 16th 05, 01:50 PM
pigo

"VtSkier" wrote in message

I always get my new boots fitted with the thinnest liner
socks available. This allows me to go to thicker socks as
time goes on. I KNOW my boot will pack out.

VtSkier

I always just got mine tight with plenty of buckle left so they'd
pack into "better". It helped to wear the boot shops jacket too. I
didn't have to pay for adjustments.

Old February 16th 05, 01:58 PM
VtSkier

pigo wrote:
"VtSkier" wrote in message

I always get my new boots fitted with the thinnest liner
socks available. This allows me to go to thicker socks as
time goes on. I KNOW my boot will pack out.

VtSkier

I always just got mine tight with plenty of buckle left so they'd
pack into "better". It helped to wear the boot shops jacket too. I
didn't have to pay for adjustments.

Always a good thing to either be a shop rat (part time
only because it interferes with skiing) or to have been
a shop rat and know what you are doing and have
"Shop Privileges"