snowboarders

Old January 24th 05, 02:16 AM
David Harris

AstroPax wrote in
:

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:20:19 -0700, miles wrote:

Drop them off at Snowbird and buy yourself a Alta/Snowbird combined
pass. Ski a little of each and meet up with them off and on during
the day.

That's a good idea in theory, however, I can tell you from personal
experience that the Snowbird-to-Alta connection via Baldy Express HSQ,
or Alta-to-Snowbird connection via Mineral Basin HSQ is not always
possible because Mineral Basin itself (including associated lifts)
seem to have a rather high closure rate due to weather/snow/control
work, etc. (IMO).

With Mineral Basin shut-down following a dump, or due to wind and/or
low visibility, your lift-served options to get from Snowbird to Alta
are about nil.

However, you would still have a few options remaining to get from Alta
to Snowbird.

You can usually gain access to Snowbird via the "Keyhole" gate (top of
Wildcat lift), but that's not always open either. So you might be
stuck with the lower-mountain Westward Ho route.

If the weather is good, the above referenced connecting routes are
usually open, no problem. But one good dump...a foot or more, and you
might as well forget about any "Alta-to-Bird" or "Bird-to-Alta"
connection, in either direction, for a day or so. Unless you want to
ride the bus.

Agreed. It's just too unreliable to be workable.

Actually, as our kids get older (now between 13 and 16) they are able to
handle just about any part of the mountain - probably any part that I'm
willing to try. So I'm getting to enjoy skiing with them, where in the
past we used to dump them into ski schools so we'd have the days free for
ourselves.

So we'll just forego Alta for now. Since my son is one who didn't take
up boarding, maybe we'll get there ourselves - although the days where
he's interested in going places with me and my wife are limited. I
suspect paid ski vacations might still be okay though....

dh
Old January 24th 05, 04:26 AM
ant

"Mary Malmros" wrote in message
news:k8qdncZIoIkNyG_cRVn- Well, suppose it WAS someone's mother. I'm sure
there are
someone's-mothers out there on the hill. So how many people besides
yourself (and your fellow slow-moving instructors) are being hit with the
multiple-times-daily frequency that you describe? Or at all? Do you see
others being hit while skiing slowly in these areas?

OH! It's my fault. Damn, I didn't realise. You do say the darndest things,
don't you?

How about requiring ALL snow users to respect a very basic tenet of snow
use: DON'T HIT OTHER PEOPLE ?

You've got the authority; yank tags if you feel someone's riding
dangerously.

er, no I don't. Not all resorts encourage their staff to do this.

ant

Old January 24th 05, 04:28 AM
ant

"pigo" wrote in message
news6-dnTneHK9D5G_cRVn-

Care to point out where someone "bragged" about it.

She's just jealous, she is dimly realising that someone might have had some
fun.

ant

Old January 24th 05, 04:31 AM
ant

Today, I saw an amazing thing. As usual, the boarders were going full tilt
into the big shared area at the base of the resort...where all the learners
are learning.
And a snowboard instructor roared abuse at a boarder who passed him and his
student at a distance of about 1 foot. I have never seen another boarder get
angry about this before. There is hope.

ant

Old January 24th 05, 04:35 AM
ant

"snoig" wrote in message

Parks are not just for boarders these days. At Breck, you see as many
skiers in the park as boarders.

If I was a boarder, I'd be embarassed by how big the skiiers are ripping in
the parks. Fair dinkum, the skiiers are all over them in every regard.

ant

Old January 28th 05, 11:51 AM
Walt

Baka Dasai wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:18:21 -0500, Walt said (and I quote):

Stop scraping and we'll stop complaining.

It's definitely possible to snowboard without heel scraping.
Unfortunately, too many boarders don't seem to understand this - they
think that because they can heel scrape the steepest slopes in the place
they are some kind of advanced athlete. The truth is that heel scraping
is a novice technique that ruins the snow. Learn to carve, or at least
semi-carve and you'll be welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Note that it's also possible to sideslip on skis and scrape off just s
much snow as a heel-scraping snowboarder. The difference is that a
skier who's sideslipping *knows* he's not really skiing.

Your emphasis on "heel-scraping" and sideslipping is wrong.

Anybody who is not 100% carving turns is responsible for scraping away
the snow.

I don't know where you got this notion, but it's clearly untrue. Pay
attention next time you're out on the hill.

Proportionally more snowboarders than skiers carve turns.

Yeah, right. Whatcha smokin there, Jack?

--
// Walt
//

Old January 28th 05, 12:39 PM
Mary Malmros

Ya couldn't let it die a decent death, could you, Walt?

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old January 28th 05, 03:21 PM
lal_truckee

Baka Dasai wrote:

Proportionally more snowboarders than skiers carve turns.

Proportionally preposterous.
Old January 28th 05, 03:34 PM
Black Metal Martha

lal_truckee wrote:
Baka Dasai wrote:

Proportionally more snowboarders than skiers carve turns.

Proportionally preposterous.

Laughably preposterous.

Proportionally, more buttboarders sit on their asses in the snow than
skiers.

Martha

Old January 28th 05, 11:49 PM
rosco

lal_truckee wrote:

Baka Dasai wrote:

Proportionally more snowboarders than skiers carve turns.

Proportionally preposterous.

On the last trip outside the Tetons (not many boarders here) I was in
observation mode because of this thread. Perhaps I was in denial.
There is a lot of stupid behavior going on with snowboarders on the
groomers. I don't spend any time on blue groomers, but I was on quite a
few this past trip and their presence was much more noticable to me.
Probably the most flagrant act was a boarder coming within 2 feet of a
skier in a manner that was totally avoidable. It was as if he planned
it that way. I was shocked, truly. And the scraping thing was
embarrassing. Saw quite a few skiers doing the same, though.

Mark me in the cautious column for now.

To those that would like to have the best chance of avoiding boarders:
get off the groomers and out of the parks. Works for me.

RAC