st anton

Old December 19th 03, 03:05 PM
gasman

Default st anton

Can anyone give me some advice on where to stay in st anton not really
bothered bout cost so long as its not robbery !! just want some where near
the lifts and also near the town and the nightlife . just fed up with
reading the brouchers all of which normally lie about distances as previous
holidays have seemed to pan out.
want somewhere with a bit of quality for me and the wife to escape for a
week any other advice or comments gratefully recieved thanks jerrie

Old December 19th 03, 07:19 PM
Steve Haigh

gasman wrote:

Can anyone give me some advice on where to stay in st anton not really
bothered bout cost so long as its not robbery !! just want some where near
the lifts and also near the town and the nightlife . just fed up with
reading the brouchers all of which normally lie about distances as previous
holidays have seemed to pan out.
want somewhere with a bit of quality for me and the wife to escape for a
week any other advice or comments gratefully recieved thanks jerrie

We always stay at the Rendlehof (3 stars), it's a 5-10 minute walk to
the main town centre (depending on which bit you're heading for) and 5
minutes walk to the Nasserein lift or ski bus stop. It's a great hotel,
the only downside I can think of is that dinner is taken in the sister
hotel across the road. The owners are really friendly and it's pretty
good value, in fact you can book direct if you want to save a bit more
and find your own flights, they speak excellent English and the number
must be on the web somewhere.

Other very handy hotels I know of:
Sport Hotel - 4 stars, bang in the middle of everything, 5 min walk to
the main lifts.
Alte Post - high-end 5 star accomodation, slightly closer to the lifts
(if they have a back door it's about 100m to the lifts) and right in the
middle of it all.
Schwarz Adler - maybe a 10 min walk to the lifts, very central. Also
quite posh.

There are plenty more... if you spot anything else why not post a
message and I'm sure someone will tell you how handy it is.

The ski bus is pretty good, so if you are further out I wouldn't worry
too much.

Old December 19th 03, 09:02 PM
Tommy Petersson

Hotell Zwei Jahreszeiten isn't bad either, a not too long walk from
Galzigbahn/Gampen.

Haus 15, 6580 St Anton am Arlberg
+43-5446 2318

/Tommy
Old December 21st 03, 11:12 AM
Z.

There are more good-value-for-money hotels (or pensions) than one can
handle. Some of them can be viewd at www.arlberg.com and
www.stantonamarlberg.com . Each one will have reference to the village map,
to give you an idea as to its exact location. Or if you email the tourist
office you may get a brochure with a full list. As for quality, the 4*
hotels cost from over 100 euro and up (p.p. per day), while 3* should be at
the 50-60 euro range p.p.
- Eli Gal

Old December 21st 03, 04:21 PM
hhh

"gasman" wrote in message
Can anyone give me some advice on where to stay in st anton not really
bothered bout cost so long as its not robbery !! just want some where near

The Post, Alte Post & Sport Hotels are all well-located 4* hotels (about 5
mins to lifts): quality-wise The Alte Post is best but you really can't
fault any of them - 4* in Austria means 4* and even guesthouses/pensions are
always reliable. Only possible problem with the above hotels is noise: some
rooms are located overlooking the main street and loud revellers can be
heard most of the night.

I think a cheaper (but also very nice and even better located) alternative
is Bergschlössl ( www.bergschloessl.at ) but I think they ony do B&B (the
above-mentioned 4* hotels do excellent half board).

Hugh

Old December 21st 03, 10:51 PM
Tommy Petersson

"gasman" wrote in message
Can anyone give me some advice on where to stay in st anton not
really bothered bout cost so long as its not robbery !! just want
some where near

Pension Genewein is nicely placed, close to Galzigbahn and also close to
the center while still just a little bit "off" and quite. Three star. My
only fear is that maybe Swedish Sportresor (Star Tours) has the whole place
booked. +43-5446 2749.

I myself will be in S:t Anton Jan 10th-17th with an unspecified hotel - but
that has still always given me the same room in the same pension! Maybe
this time as well, just by the Police Station so it's quite ;-)

/Tommy P.

Old December 22nd 03, 02:28 PM
gasman

THANKS www.bergschloessl.at looks lovely dont suppose you know if they use a
tour opperatour in the uk do you or is it a book hotel and book flights
seperate job if so what would the transfer be if anyone could fill me in
that would be great cheers

Old December 22nd 03, 05:54 PM
hhh

"gasman" wrote in message
THANKS www.bergschloessl.at looks lovely dont suppose you know if they use

tour opperatour in the uk do you or is it a book hotel and book flights
seperate job if so what would the transfer be if anyone could fill me in
that would be great cheers

I'm pretty sure Bergschloessl does NOT use a tour operator. You are best off
emailing/calling the proprietor for rates/bookings.

Independent travel to St Anton can be a pain: best airport is Innsbruck but
I think arranging transfers can be difficult (someone else might advise?)
and the other big problem is there are no scheduled flights UK/Innsbruck so
you have to use charter (can sometimes be an option to use a tour operator
just for flight/xfer). I did read somewhere that Lauda is going to start
direct flights from Gatwick but I don't think thats been confirmed yet.

By far the easiest option for the independent traveller is fly to Zurich
then hire a car for the transfer (though a bus could also be an option). Car
(Zurich/St Anton) takes about 3 hours IIRC.

cheers
Hugh

Old December 22nd 03, 06:42 PM
Bob C

"hhh" wrote in message
- By far the easiest option for the
independent traveller is fly to Zurich
then hire a car for the transfer (though a bus could also be an option).

Car
(Zurich/St Anton) takes about 3 hours IIRC.

The Arlberg express run a regular bus service at weekends to St Anton and
other Arlberg resorts. The train service is also good between Zurich and St
Anton. (Station two minutes walk from the centre of town).

Bob

Old December 23rd 03, 08:58 PM
Steve Haigh

Bob C wrote:
"hhh" wrote in message
- By far the easiest option for the
independent traveller is fly to Zurich

then hire a car for the transfer (though a bus could also be an option).

Car

(Zurich/St Anton) takes about 3 hours IIRC.

The Arlberg express run a regular bus service at weekends to St Anton and
other Arlberg resorts. The train service is also good between Zurich and St
Anton. (Station two minutes walk from the centre of town).

Not any more it isn't, it moved in 2001. With skis and bags it's a 5
minute taxi ride to the centre of town. It's walkable if you're you not
laden down, but it's a good 15 minutes.