Anybody done the Norwegian Birkie?

Old December 22nd 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
NewMexSki

Default Anybody done the Norwegian Birkie?

Hi all,
I have planned a trip to Norway in March for the "real" Birkebeiner. I
have everything planned and arrangements have all been made and I am
learning Norwegian, but I don't know a whole lot about the race and
what all to expect. I'm wondering if anyone on the group has done this
great race and if they could share their experience and if there are
any good tips for the event and being in Norway in general.

My girlfriend, who is originally from Russia, and I are staying mostly
in Sjusjøen, where we'll ski and probably get fat from eating too much
before the race. But, we will have some time to visit and sightsee in
Oslo and I'm hoping to get out to the Holmenkollen WC event to
spectate. Anyone know anything about that?

While in college, I was an Alpine ski racer at U New Mexico and I
roomed with a Norwegian guy who was on the xc ski team. He got me into
Nordic skiing (whiche and I got him into cycling. He became one of
Norway's top cyclists for a while, and he's now an orthopaedic surgeon.

My girlfriend and I will be visiting him and his family. They live
only 30km from the start in Rena, so his father will be handling all of
our logistics as far as dropping us off at the start and picking us up
at the finish in Lillehammer -- that'll be nice.

It should be a great trip, but I feel like I'm going into it a little
bit blind. I've traveled throughout Europe in my bike racing days, but
that was mostly Belgium, France, Germany and Italy. Scandinavia is a
different place...

Clay

Old December 22nd 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen

NewMexSki wrote:
Hi all,
I have planned a trip to Norway in March for the "real" Birkebeiner. I
have everything planned and arrangements have all been made and I am
learning Norwegian, but I don't know a whole lot about the race and
what all to expect. I'm wondering if anyone on the group has done this
great race and if they could share their experience and if there are
any good tips for the event and being in Norway in general.

My girlfriend, who is originally from Russia, and I are staying mostly
in Sjusjøen, where we'll ski and probably get fat from eating too much
before the race. But, we will have some time to visit and sightsee in
Oslo and I'm hoping to get out to the Holmenkollen WC event to
spectate. Anyone know anything about that?

If you make it to Oslo in time for the 50 k, I'll invite you to join us:

We like to ski around the trail (using a headlamp, I can probably
scrounge up one or two spare ones for you and your girlfriend) on the
evening/night before the race.

At that time there's literally thousands of people camping out along all
parts of the trail, with campfires & partying going on. :-)

The day after, during the actual race, is quite nice as well. :-)

While in college, I was an Alpine ski racer at U New Mexico and I
roomed with a Norwegian guy who was on the xc ski team. He got me into
Nordic skiing (whiche and I got him into cycling. He became one of
Norway's top cyclists for a while, and he's now an orthopaedic surgeon.

My girlfriend and I will be visiting him and his family. They live
only 30km from the start in Rena, so his father will be handling all of
our logistics as far as dropping us off at the start and picking us up
at the finish in Lillehammer -- that'll be nice.

You'll have a great time.

It should be a great trip, but I feel like I'm going into it a little
bit blind. I've traveled throughout Europe in my bike racing days, but
that was mostly Belgium, France, Germany and Italy. Scandinavia is a
different place...

Norway

Clay

--
-
Old December 22nd 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Edgar

Terje Mathisen wrote:
NewMexSki wrote:
....But, we will have some time to visit and sightsee in
Oslo and I'm hoping to get out to the Holmenkollen WC event to
spectate. Anyone know anything about that?

If you make it to Oslo in time for the 50 k, I'll invite you to join us:

We like to ski around the trail (using a headlamp, I can probably
scrounge up one or two spare ones for you and your girlfriend) on the
evening/night before the race.

At that time there's literally thousands of people camping out along all
parts of the trail, with campfires & partying going on. :-)

The day after, during the actual race, is quite nice as well. :-)

--
-

Terje,

When is the Holmenkollen race course closed to the public for skiing?
My DNT Hardangervidda ski tour starts (leaves Oslo) Sunday 18 March.
Will the Holmenkollen race course still be open to public skiing on
Friday before the race?

Do you have any suggestions about places to ski on the Saturday of the
Holmenkollen races that I could get to by T-bane, tram or bus from
Oslo's Central Station area?

Edgar

Old December 22nd 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
NewMexSki

Hello Terje,
Thank you very much for your offer. It sounds great! It might be a
possibility, for sure. I would need to keep your email address for
contacting you while we are in Oslo.

I've seen the way you Norwegians camp out and party on the trailside --
that's so great. For some reason they did a big special on TV during
the 1994 Olympics about it. It really impressed us that so many
"regular" people would camp out in such frigid conditions. Made us
Americans look like a bunch of wimps compared to you!

But alas, I do a lot of mountain climbing and backcountry skiing, so I
don't mind camping out in the cold. We also groom trails and ski a lot
at night after work, so we have various headlamps scattered about our
house. We'll try to remember to bring them.

Again, thank you very much for your kind offer. Please send along your
contact info (to me directly) if you are serious about your offer. I'm
not sure how our plans will work out, but I really enjoy being hosted
by "real" people from the nation I am visiting. It makes the
experience feel real as opposed to be such a tourist. That is really
the case when we visit Mexico or Guatemala or somewhere like that...

Regards,
Clay Moseley
Los Alamos, New Mexico

Old December 22nd 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Camilo

NewMexSki wrote:

My girlfriend and I will be visiting him and his family. They live
only 30km from the start in Rena, so his father will be handling all of
our logistics as far as dropping us off at the start and picking us up
at the finish in Lillehammer -- that'll be nice.

This will make everything easy for you. I'll bet you won't have to do
any thinking and planning!

It should be a great trip, but I feel like I'm going into it a little
bit blind. I've traveled throughout Europe in my bike racing days, but
that was mostly Belgium, France, Germany and Italy. Scandinavia is a
different place...r

Clay, don't worry at all. I've traveled (always self guided, driving,
hitchiking, trains, etc.) throughout western and eastern Europe several
times. I've been to all the countries you mentioned as well as to
Norway 3 or 4 times. I haven't skied the Birkie, and hope to before I
die!! I have skied, but it was mountain touring at a relative's cabin
- WONDERFUL.

Anyway, of all the countries in Europe, Norway is one of the easiest
for a non-native speaker to travel in. With the exception of older
folks, almost everyone speaks excellent English. This goes for
many/most 50-somethings down to the youngest child in a rural area, gas
station attendants, merchants, as well as professionals, etc. You will
find communication to be a non issue. This is especially true in any
area that is a tourist destination.

If you're trying to learn Norwegian, that's good. Being able to at
least do a pleasant greeting and say "I'm sorry I don't speak
Norwegian, do you speak English?" really makes an impression on people
- they like the courtesy. I really hate it when Americans just start
speaking English without that courtesy.

You've probably also discovered that once you learn the basics of
Norwegian spelling and how the letters of the alphabet sound, a lot of
common words, road signs, etc, can be deciphered. But again, English
is a very common, nearly universal second language in Norway and I
think you'll find your host country to be very welcoming and easy to
figure out.

Have fun, I'm jealous!!

Old December 23rd 06, 05:38 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Henriksen

"NewMexSki" skrev i melding
ups.com...
Hi all,
I have planned a trip to Norway in March for the "real" Birkebeiner. I
have everything planned and arrangements have all been made and I am
learning Norwegian, but I don't know a whole lot about the race and
what all to expect. I'm wondering if anyone on the group has done this
great race and if they could share their experience and if there are
any good tips for the event and being in Norway in general.

You can expect the race to be hard since there are a couple of mountains to
climb, and you may expect different conditions at the start and up on the
mountain. In the beginning, you will be skiing in a crowd.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes

Old December 23rd 06, 07:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

NewMexSki wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a catered trip! No worries. The only things I would suggest
to stave off possible disapointment or irritation, is to be prepared
for possibly poor conditions during the race, and very expensive
everything. If you are prepared for those two things you'll have a
great time.

Terje knows more about the WC race, but with Oslo's 1200+ km of trails,
the closures hardly get in anyone's way. If you go to Olso, bring your
skis!

Are you registered yet? Which wave?

Have fun!

Joseph

PS: With a dictionary, my sister was able to read the newspaper here.
Norwegian is very similar to English in terms of word order and a
number of other factors. But just about everyone speaks English, so no
problems.

Old December 23rd 06, 12:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Clay, you've got it all made for this trip. Transport and lodging is
set.

Your biggest and maybe only challenge is the waxing for Birken race. I
hope you have had challenging wax conditions before. the race goes alot
up and down in altitudes and snow conditions change.

Old December 23rd 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Peter H.

NewMexSki wrote:
Hi all,
I have planned a trip to Norway in March for the "real" Birkebeiner. I
have everything planned and arrangements have all been made and I am
learning Norwegian, but I don't know a whole lot about the race and
what all to expect. I'm wondering if anyone on the group has done this
great race and if they could share their experience and if there are
any good tips for the event .........

Sounds like you have everything well set for the logistics. To add
to the few things already mentioned about the race itself, take a good
look at the course profile. Two things stand out particularly:
the finish is much higher than the start,
and the first 20km is almost entirely uphill.
I get the impression that
you've done plenty of endurance stuff in the past,
so knowing those facts, you'll know what to do
about pacing and feeding.
The feed zones were very easy
to use 5 years ago, but I'm old, so got
an early start just behind the elite men and World Cup women.
That gave a good track, and less congestion maybe
at the first few feeds. Now that they are using waves,
both those may be problems (AKA "issues" in modern
smeared-precision jargon!) I'm hoping for a decent
Keskinada classic race to get down into wave 8 or 9,
after hearing Joseph's horror story from last year.

Maybe we'll run into each other in Susjoen.
I think it's an excellent idea not to race with jetlag,
as I've never managed to avoid in the past!

Best, Peter

Old December 23rd 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Peter H. wrote:
NewMexSki wrote:
Hi all,
I have planned a trip to Norway in March for the "real" Birkebeiner. I
have everything planned and arrangements have all been made and I am
learning Norwegian, but I don't know a whole lot about the race and
what all to expect. I'm wondering if anyone on the group has done this
great race and if they could share their experience and if there are
any good tips for the event .........

Sounds like you have everything well set for the logistics. To add
to the few things already mentioned about the race itself, take a good
look at the course profile. Two things stand out particularly:
the finish is much higher than the start,
and the first 20km is almost entirely uphill.

Last winter when I did the race for the first time, I was expecting the
worst in terms of terrain. It may just have been that the terrain was
overshadowed by the terrible conditions, but I didn't feel that the
ascent was at all demanding. I was going quite slow so maybe that
explains it. The bike version seemed much more difficult in terms of
climbing. I found the descent at the end to be the most difficult part
of the whole race. Lots of difficult ruts and rock hard packed slush.

I get the impression that
you've done plenty of endurance stuff in the past,
so knowing those facts, you'll know what to do
about pacing and feeding.
The feed zones were very easy
to use 5 years ago, but I'm old, so got
an early start just behind the elite men and World Cup women.
That gave a good track, and less congestion maybe
at the first few feeds. Now that they are using waves,

Even in my wave 17 fiasco, the feeding stations were easy enough to
use. No tracks of course, and the paper cups and gel tubes kept
sticking to the klister, but that's a differernt story!

both those may be problems (AKA "issues" in modern
smeared-precision jargon!) I'm hoping for a decent
Keskinada classic race to get down into wave 8 or 9,
after hearing Joseph's horror story from last year.

What finishing time is expected of wave 8-9 skiers?

Maybe we'll run into each other in Susjoen.
I think it's an excellent idea not to race with jetlag,
as I've never managed to avoid in the past!

Sjusjøen is a great place to ski, but a trip in to Oslo (with skis of
course) is highly recommended.

Joseph