Bohemia comments, or "ouch"

Old February 23rd 06, 10:33 PM

lal_truckee wrote:
TexasSkiNut wrote:
[Cut URL references to Glucosamine/chondroitin studies.]
I was asking for references to med references re ibuprofen interfering
with the body's repair processes, not g/c references...

Oops, my bad. Can't help you there, but rest assured that for every
medical study done there'll be another that says the opposite. Or
maybe it just seems that way. I'd be interesting in hearing about the
ibuprofen issue as well, although over the past few years I've severely
cut back on my vitamin I intake and don't seem to miss it much.

Old February 24th 06, 12:58 AM

In article ,
lal_truckee wrote:

That's what the dog says, too ...

Kanlzer fed it to his dog first. Said he was jumping up like a pup in three
days. That's just his personal opinion based on idetic observation. I
don't consider him an expert on Glucosamine Chondriotin. He was Head
Avalanche Forecaster at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort. I do consider him
an athoritative source on Avalache Forecasting.

Tex is a piece of work, eh?
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old February 24th 06, 03:21 PM

Mary Malmros wrote:
Or any mucous membrane.

Interesting; Possibly an off-slope test is in order.
Please report your findings.

Old February 24th 06, 03:29 PM

Jeff Davis wrote:

I consider the source. You know what we call ****ty skiers in Jackson Hole?

I would think "economic resource?" You have an alternative name?

Actually, I admire anyone who can live in Texas and remain human enough
to ski when they can. Look at the other Texas resident examples in the
public eye.

And the dog doesn't limp so badly on G/C.

Old February 24th 06, 03:52 PM

lal_truckee wrote:
Jeff Davis wrote:
I consider the source. You know what we call ****ty skiers in Jackson Hole?

I would think "economic resource?" You have an alternative name?

Actually, I admire anyone who can live in Texas and remain human enough
to ski when they can. Look at the other Texas resident examples in the
public eye.

Gee Jeff, and here I thought it was just the New Mexicans and
Coloradoans that hated us Texas skiers. Funny, but one of the things
most of the Texas skiers I know like about your neck of the woods is
that it seems to be somewhat less infested with the usual blowhard "I
hate anyone who hasn't lived here for at least twenty years" idjits
that call themselves locals.

BTW, we're still waiting for you to post a medical reference for your
statements on Ibuprofen....

Old February 24th 06, 06:03 PM

TexasSkiNut wrote:
BTW, we're still waiting for you to post a medical reference for your
statements on Ibuprofen....

Google turned up this one:
http://www.caringmedical.com/sports_injury/nsaids.asp?area=sports&subarea=sports_gen
A quote from the article:
"NSAIDs have been shown to delay and hamper the healing in all the soft
tissues, including muscles, ligaments, tendons, and cartilage.
Anti-inflammatories can delay healing and delay it significantly, even
in muscles with their tremendous blood supply."

Interesting reading. I'm one of those weird people for whom pain
relievers don't work, so I've only used NSAIDs to relieve inflammation.
After my dislocated shoulder (at Jackson Hole, no less. So much for
me providing an example to counter your opinion of Texas skiers, huh?.)
the clinic doc prescribed some ungodly high dosage of Ibuprofen for
both the pain as well as the inflammation. I cut it back to maybe a
fourth of what he recommended. I'll probably rethink taking NSAIDs in
the future, depending on the injury.

Old February 24th 06, 09:09 PM

In article ,
lal_truckee wrote:
Jeff Davis wrote:

I would think "economic resource?" You have an alternative name?

Oh. I was just being mean and nasty and jumping on a flaw for fun. I'll
appologize.

And the dog doesn't limp so badly on G/C.

Either do I. I wonder if its more effective in the canine metabolism.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old February 24th 06, 09:17 PM

In article .com,
TexasSkiNut wrote:

Gee Jeff, and here I thought it was just the New Mexicans and

Oh. I was just being mean and nasty and jumping on a flaw for fun. I
appologize. Do I really have to google up a mamalian phys reference
for the role of prostaglandin in tissue repair? It's kind of like
sucrosic snow. It's denotatively correct. Are you taking issue with
the medical fact that Ibuprophen bocks prostaglandin synthesis.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old February 24th 06, 09:52 PM

In article .com,
TexasSkiNut wrote:

both the pain as well as the inflammation. I cut it back to maybe a
fourth of what he recommended. I'll probably rethink taking NSAIDs in
the future, depending on the injury.

Originally we were discussing conditioning. You can see where conditioning
is impeded. I didn't quit taking ibuprophen all together. I use it
extremely sparingly. And I have a lot less body pain when I approach
top condition, (which I'm not in now,).

I dislocated my shoulder on the lower saddle snow field of the Grand Teton
a few years ago. I was retreating in front of a nasty severe thunderstorm.
I was positioning myself for a glisade and slipped, (due to approach shoes,
not boots). I thought I'd just catch myself with my ice axe. Instead,
my shoulder dislocated, and I was left to rotate my body around in glisade
position and ride it out with the ball of my humorous in my arm pit.

I was screaming off the saddle and caught air. I tried to dig my heels in
to slow down and only succeded in spraying snow all over my Smith's. Then
I was blind and screaming down the snow field glisading with a dislocated
shoulder and bracing my ice axe with that arm.

There is a lot of rock at the bottom. The Middle Teton Glacier terminates
down there and there's a mine field of large granite that rolled to a stop.
I figured if I kept my feet together I could save my nuts. I expected
compression fractures of both legs any second.

I started to slow down. I crancked on my ice axe. It pulled me to the
side. I missed a nasty rock and came to a stop. It took me a few minutes
to reduce the luxation, (pop my shoulder back in,). I walked off the
hill and went home. I ate some Ibuprophen when I got back to the van in
the Lupine Meadows lot. '
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old February 25th 06, 05:31 AM

Jeff Davis wrote:

In article ,
bdubya wrote:
Ever try Tiger Balm? I was always skeptical, but it actually seems to
work. Especially the red stuff. JD's right, conditioning is key
(I've beefed up my quads and hams lately, and my knees seem happier
for it), but the Tiger Balm brought me more relief this weekend than
the ibuprofen.

Ratty Kanzler turned me on to Glucosamine Chondroitin. I jacked my
rebuilt
knee bouldering in the gym while I was in training for Denali. The JH
Ski Patrol swears by Glucosamine Chondroitin. In a week I was back
running up hill ad nausium.

Glucosamine Chondroitin is expensive. And it seems to be hard on the
stomach
without food. What it does for joints is cumulative and extremely
effective.
No analgesia. Just dietary supplimentation that makes joints preform much
better.

The wife and I have been taking Gluco/Chondrotin/MSM for sometime now. I
don't have arthritis or anything but the wife has touches of it and she
swears the stuff helps. I hope it keeps my knees from blowing out until I
am casters up.

There was a study that I heard about that says otherwise. That the
Gluco/Chond is only slightly more affective than a placebo, that follow up
is required on it.

Our doctor seems to think the gluco/chond/msm is legit.

--
Before Heading to the Hill head to Wisconsin Skis!
http://www.wi-ski.com/