Inappropriate glider?

Old January 25th 07, 07:46 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Inappropriate glider?

Hi All,

We finally have some snow again. We had some earlier in the season
which was cruelly rained away, but now we have some that looks like it
will stay.

My skate skis were last waxed last spring for temps around freezing,
perhaps above. I don't recall.

It is now about -18C and I'd like to go skiing now. I don't have much
time so I don't want to "waste" time waxing the skis with the proper
wax if it won't make that big a difference. I can do that later. No
racing, just going out to have some fun and get into the swing of
things. Will I stick like glue?

Joseph

Old January 25th 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
highpeaksnordic

On Jan 25, 3:46 am, wrote:

My skate skis were last waxed last spring for temps around freezing,
perhaps above.
It is now about -18C and I'd like to go skiing now.
Will I stick like glue?

If you are waxed for warm, humid snow then, yes, you will probably be
going really slow. Like JT said, if it is new, cold and sharp snow it
will be frustrating.

Old January 25th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Edgar

On Jan 25, 12:46 am, wrote:
Hi All,

My skate skis were last waxed last spring for temps around freezing,
perhaps above. I don't recall.

It is now about -18C and I'd like to go skiing now. I don't have much
time so I don't want to "waste" time waxing the skis with the proper
wax if it won't make that big a difference....

Joseph

Hello Joseph,

If my choice is between skiing on old wax or not skiing, I would ski.
That said, skis waxed for 0C spring conditions would be slow in snow at
a temperature of around -18C especially if the snow is still new and
sharp. The better choice would be to wax.

The even better choice would have been to have cleaned you skis last
spring and covered the base with a storage wax like Toko Red to protect
the bases. Now that you have some snow, you would only need to scrape
and brush the storage wax and they would be ready for a wide range of
recreational conditons.

Good tour,

Old January 25th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Jan 25, 5:20 pm, "highpeaksnordic"
wrote:
On Jan 25, 3:46 am, wrote:

My skate skis were last waxed last spring for temps around freezing,
perhaps above.
It is now about -18C and I'd like to go skiing now.
Will I stick like glue?If you are waxed for warm, humid snow then, yes, you will probably be

going really slow. Like JT said, if it is new, cold and sharp snow it
will be frustrating.

Guess what? You guys were right!

It was man-made snow prepped last night which meant it got to set in
about -20C. By the time I got there it was only about -10C. My skis
were slow, but not so bad that they stuck. I ran into a friend who
weighs about 30kg less than me and I couldn't keep up downhill. No
glide. I couldn't keep up uphill either, but I can't blame that on
wax...

Joseph

Old January 25th 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Jan 25, 5:21 pm, "Edgar" wrote:
On Jan 25, 12:46 am, wrote:

Hi All,

[...]

I should have used storage wax, but it was one of those "just one more
day" springs last year so the end of the season wasn't very well
defined. Next time!

Joseph

Old January 25th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Camilo

I think it will be slow and frustrating, but better than not skiing.

This is exactly why I now storage wax with fairly cold wax - usually
use bulk Swix CH6 (blue) or similar. I melt in a nice thick layer and
leave it unscraped.

Two reasons: Often where I live first snow is pretty cold - in that wax
range or a little warmer. Second, I'd rather ski on wax that's "too
cold" than "too warm".

It goes against the conventional wisdom of storage waxing with a very
soft wax, but I can't figure out why- the purpose of storage wax is to
penetrate the base and then provide a physical protective layer to keep
dust and air molecules off the base material itself. CH 6 type wax
does all of this.

With a family of 4 all wanting to ski first snow, I just scrape, brush
and everyone is functional. I do re-waxing when I can after that.