Sporthill jacket sizing???

Old January 24th 05, 12:44 AM
gr

Default Sporthill jacket sizing???

I am thinking of purchasing a Sporthill XC jacket (like the Summit
model) made of their 3SP cloth. The pants I have work exceptionally
well in warmth and dryness, and I am hoping the jacket may do the same.
Questions:
1) Should this be worn by itself, in contact with the skin, instead of
with a wicking layer?
2) Is sizing critical? I could wear a large, but it would be tight fit
(which maybe it is supposed to be), or will it still work properly if I
get XL size?
Thanks in advance for you thoughts.
gr
Old January 24th 05, 12:21 PM
cpella

I wouldn't use the Summit as a first layer. Typically I'll use it over
an Explorer top or even just a first wicking layer. Yesterday it was
between -20c and -30 here in Ottawa and I had one layer of Craft
underwear, a Sporthill Explorer top and a Summit jacket over that, and
I was plenty warm. There was a layer of condensed frost on the outside
of the jacket, which shows how well they perform in removing moisture,
which is the real killer in cold weather.
I bought the Summit jacket slightly large to wear it as a final layer,
although you could probably buy it smaller and wear it just as a second
layer, but then it would be tight if you needed 3 layers.
Saturday I picked up a pair of Craft lobster mitts, which turned out to
be a revelation. No more cold fingers at -30c. They are really light,
which made me a bit skeptical, but work like magic. I have some much
heavier ones from other manufacturers which do not perform nearly as
well. Again, I think moisture management seems to be the key design
issue.

Chris

Old January 24th 05, 02:52 PM
Bruce Freeburger

gr:
The 3SP fabric is not a great wicker. I always wear a fast wicking
first layer. The 3SP is also fairly thick. So at +25F I wear a VERY thin
CoolMax "pointell" mesh long sleeve top and long johns. LL Bean had in
their Winter Sports catalog (I don't have a current one) some waffle
weave PowerDry. The lightest of them is also a very good first layer.
I love my Sporthill XC full zip jacket. I don't know why they don't
make it any more, but I have a Sporthill top that is all 3SP, except for
the sides (which are much more breathable PowerDry). Better in warmer
skiing, and a nice top for bicycling in the low '50s (F).
Not as comfortable as loose fitting 3SP, Hind Drylete stretch suits
is a fabric that does it all with one single layer: wicks, warms and
dampens wind.

Cheers,
Bruce Freeburger

To reply: get rid of SNOWMOBILES and UNLEASHEDDOGS