adult snowboard camps

Old February 22nd 04, 10:33 PM
Frank L Lynn

Default adult snowboard camps

I have seen some older posts regarding this subject, but I wanted to
hear if there was any feedback from somebody that has gone recently
(last year or so)

I am considering some adult snowboard camps, and I have heard about
high cascade, and one at whistler (or any others). Does anybody have
any personal info on these, how they were, good value, learn anything,
or if it was a waste of time/money. THere used to be one at mt hood
that I had a web site for, but that link does not work anymore, so I
dont know if they are around.

I am an advanced rider (age 34), but park experince is more limited.
I do small flat rails, mail boxes, or some fun-boxes. Small half pipe
(6-10ft range) and can slightly get out of it. I also clear small(10'
-15') table tops. Just looking for a camp that would be fun, and
advance my park skills. I am not looking for a pro camp where the
only hits are 50' step downs and a super pipe, if you know what I mean
Anybody have any feedback?

Thanks
Old February 22nd 04, 11:36 PM
Mike T

You probably saw one of my posts from a couple years back. I haven't
done any camps in the past few years, but as a Mt Hood local who rides
duiring the summer I do see what goes on.

The big ones at Mt Hood are still High Cascade
(http://www.highcascade.com) and Windell's (http://www.windells.com).
The have private park areas with jumps of all sizes, plenty of rails and
other things to jib on, and multiple half pipes. When I did a High
Cascade adult session in summer 2000, ages ranged from early tewnties to
I think around 60 (no kidding) with the median being early to mid
thirties.

I also did Mt Hood Snowboard camp (www.snowboardcamp.com). I just
clicked over, their website seems to be out of commission - is that the
one you are referring to?

In any case, it's been a good year or two since I've seen any of the
coaches I had at either camp. I suspect there's been quite a bit of
turnover. Actually I did see one of the Mt Hood coaches last winter,
but he was working for Timberline (the resort where all the camps are
held) as head park honcho. I'm quite aout of touch with the freestyle
goinds-on at Mt Hood these days as I spnt the builk of my time doing
alpine or off-piste riding, I'll wing through the park once in a while
if it's on my way but that's it. I definitley learned a lot at both
camps, although since I haven't been practicing I've since "lost" most
of the freestyle stuff.

I'm doing an alpine camp in B.C. next month, sounds like yo want a
freestyle camp but I'm sure I'll post a report anyway!

Mike T

Old February 23rd 04, 02:55 AM
corbeau

In article , mtovino@yaw-
who.com says...

I'm doing an alpine camp in B.C. next month, sounds like yo want a
freestyle camp but I'm sure I'll post a report anyway!

Mike T

Would you mind posting info on the alpine camp?

C.
--
-she ain't revved til the rods is thrown
Old February 23rd 04, 03:01 AM
Mike T

Would you mind posting info on the alpine camp?

http://www.snowperformance.com/Camps04.htm

Scroll down to "Sun Peaks Snowboard Carve week"

This will be my first time doing one of Snowperformace's camps, but I
met Gavin Kerr Hunter and Sean Cassidy, the two head coaches, this
summer at Mount Hood - they seemed like they had it together. I took a
couple of runs with Sean after one of their sessions, he gave me some
valuable tips and had me wanting more!

Mike T

Old February 24th 04, 01:28 AM
Frank L Lynn

"Mike T" wrote in message . ..
[...]

Thanks for some feedback. You mention "both camps" that you attended,
which ones were they? HC and Windells? You mentioned 3, with the
third being the one with the bum link. Was there much difference?
Was there very much beginner/intermediate pipe/hits/rails? How much
riding was actually done?

Thanks for any info, as im really interested, but its a lot of dough,
so I want to make sure that I would get a lot out of one of these
camps. I have spent time in the parks/pipes, and try and ride hard,
but dont have the park skills that is seems most of the guys in the
park have, so I dont want to get in over my head.
Old February 24th 04, 02:35 AM
Mike T

Thanks for some feedback. You mention "both camps" that you attended,
which ones were they? HC and Windells?

I did Mt Hood (MHSC, bum link) and High Cascade.

Was there very much beginner/intermediate pipe/hits/rails? How much
riding was actually done?

MHSC's adult sessions are done in late Meay, Early June, before the
camps set up their own parks. That leaves you at the mercy of
Timberline's park staff, and they build 'em bigger and bigger every
year. High Cascade had jumps for everyone fro "never ever" to pros.
Windells's park looked pretty similar.

Thanks for any info, as im really interested, but its a lot of dough,
so I want to make sure that I would get a lot out of one of these
camps. I have spent time in the parks/pipes, and try and ride hard,
but dont have the park skills that is seems most of the guys in the
park have, so I dont want to get in over my head.

If you are honest with yourself and your coaches you won't get in over
your head.