Stuck in a Rut

Old February 25th 05, 11:41 PM
bri719

Neil Gendzwill wrote:

At 163 I seriously doubt it. I mean, the moguls were all made with
skis longer than that and to me that's what counts, length-wise.
Besides it's not really a very long board. But it may well be overly
stiff for him as a 160 lb intermediate - that's why I asked others
more familiar with Ride to comment. Also it's wide-waisted and he's
got a very splayed duck stance, so getting from edge to edge quickly
will be an issue.

I always thought riding moguls / bumps on a "wide" board would be
tougher, but I've never really tried it so can't comment. 163 is the
same length as my usual board though, and no probs here in most
situations (including trees). his board may be a tiny bit stiffer,
mine's in the encompassing "medium-stiff" category. I like a board
that's a bit stiff,but not too stiff. especially since I like to hit a
few jumps. if there was a pipe at my regular resort, I'd be trying it.
I've yet to see the damn thing this season. it got buried this week and
still waiting for them to carve it out :-/

bri

--

* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

Old February 28th 05, 06:54 PM
Eric

That's quite the radical duck stance. I really can't comment too
much on the duck thing as I don't do it and it just doesn't look
functional to me for the sort of riding I like to do.

I was thinking that too - might be making it pretty hard on the
moguls and stuff.

Changing from 30/20 to 27/-3 or 24/-6 has given me more
confidence somehow. In particular, I have an easier time
transitioning to toe-side turns.

I'm thinking I'll try some more forward angles next time I go out. I
agree that the duck stance has given me more confidence with toe-side
turns...I think that's why I did it to begin with. But, it sounds like
if I could get used to some higher forward angles, like Neil mentioned,
it could possibly help my bump riding and eliminate the need for a wide
board, which some of the other posts mentioned as potentially
increasing the difficulty in riding bumps.

After this, maybe I'll demo a slightly more flexy board and see how it
treats me.

Thanks
Eric

Old February 28th 05, 07:01 PM
Eric

yeah, I agree with that....try riding some black
diamonds (single) before the season is over, you
won't regret it. then it'll be a great point for
you to build off for the start of next season.

Sounds like a good idea. I've done a couple, but not many. I don't
really want to be the one slicing the moguls in half to the dismay of
some more advanced skiiers.

And ride more trees, increase your general and
boarding-specific fitness level, learn how to
tune your board, learn to ride switch, ride different
mountains, find a group of riders (including skiers)
to hang with that push your limits, have someone take
video of you riding and break down your technique
afterwards, enter a boarder x or slopestyle comp.

All good ideas, some of which I do, more of which I'm starting to think
I'd like to. Looks like I might have to bring in the wife to help take
video of me.

Thanks for the tips
Eric