Waxing New Skis

Old January 11th 13, 11:23 PM
Random45 Random45 is offline
Junior Member

Default Waxing New Skis

I have a pair of skis that I waxed one time before a race this week. I lost all my glide after about 5Km and was wondering if there are any good ways to get the base saturated so that the wax will last longer besides just waxing it over and over which I don't have the time or the materials for.
Old January 12th 13, 10:38 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
dardruba[_2_]

On 11/01/2013 23:23, Random45 wrote:
I have a pair of skis that I waxed one time before a race this week. I
lost all my glide after about 5Km and was wondering if there are any
good ways to get the base saturated so that the wax will last longer
besides just waxing it over and over which I don't have the time or the
materials for.

Please explain your prepping procedure and how you choose the 'wax for
today'.

Old January 12th 13, 05:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 10:38:11 +0000
dardruba wrote:

On 11/01/2013 23:23, Random45 wrote:
I have a pair of skis that I waxed one time before a race this
week. I lost all my glide after about 5Km and was wondering if
there are any good ways to get the base saturated so that the wax
will last longer besides just waxing it over and over which I don't
have the time or the materials for.

Please explain your prepping procedure and how you choose the 'wax
for today'.

And describe what the race conditions were (temp, snow, humidity, trail,
where the race was).

Gene
Old January 12th 13, 09:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
gr[_4_]

On 1/11/2013 6:23 PM, Random45 wrote:
I have a pair of skis that I waxed one time before a race this week. I
lost all my glide after about 5Km and was wondering if there are any
good ways to get the base saturated so that the wax will last longer
besides just waxing it over and over which I don't have the time or the
materials for.

5K isn't much! You sure the snow didn't change to the slow kind?
Hot box soaking is probably the least labor intensive way to fully get
wax into skis, but repeated scrapes are good for removing micro-hairs.

Old February 4th 13, 12:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Hi,

There is no such thing as a saturated base. According to base manufacturer data, something like 1.6g can dissolve into the entire base and this will not solve you problem.

Forget about hotboxing. According to Swix data, this is useless.

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=3&u=16789624

If you base show greyish areas after a few km, this is simply hairs resulting from the stonegrind.

You have two way to shave the base :

- Repetitive waxing/scrapping/brushing with a hard wax (very labor intensive IMHO)
- Use a "razor". Available either from PrimateriaSport.se or Kuzmin.se (5mn work.)