Summer skiing not in South America?

Old May 11th 04, 07:52 AM
Marco Cattaneo

Default Summer skiing not in South America?

"AnyBody43" wrote in message
m...

If you fancy Europe, have a look at www.tignes.net and click on
"Snowsports/TheGlacier". Sorry can't give a URL since it is all
Java or something like that. Crap web site but you can't have everything.

Says it opens on the 19th June.

My understanding is that you ski in the morning, until the water
starts to come into the boots and then do downhill mountain biking
in the afternoon until you end up in hospital:-) Seriously, there
is a lot on in the summer. I strongly suspect that acommodation will
be cheap since the place won't be as busy as it is in the winter.

Much as I like Tignes, I doubt whether it's worth the trip from the States
in summer. The glacier skiing is among the most extensive in the western
Alps, but it remains a small area, and only pleasant for one or two hours a
day (rock solid early in the morning, deep slush by lunchtime)

On the other hand, there is a lot more than skiing, so if you want a holiday
in the mountains where you can *also* ski, it's as good a place as any
(apart from the awful architecture - if you want glacier skiing *and* a real
alpine town, go to Zermatt). Also, don't expect low prices, both Tignes and
Zermatt are very popular also in summer.

Old May 11th 04, 04:16 PM
Lisa Horton

Marco Cattaneo wrote:

"AnyBody43" wrote in message
[...]

Apart from being popular and crowded, how is the skiing at Zermatt in
the summer?

Lisa
Old May 12th 04, 06:40 AM
BrritSki

Lisa Horton wrote:

Marco Cattaneo wrote:

"AnyBody43" wrote in message
m...

Apart from being popular and crowded, how is the skiing at Zermatt in
the summer?

Well personally I think it sucks badly in the winter, so go figger.

Lift system is not well thought out so that to get to the top of the
glacier takes 3 lifts and at least an hour with no skiing between them.
When you get to the top it's a bleak windswept plain that's fairly flat
(so might suit your stage of learning). There's some good off piste, but
there's crevasse danger so you probably need a guide.
I won't be going back !

Old May 12th 04, 07:32 AM
Marco Cattaneo

"BrritSki" wrote in message
Lisa Horton wrote:
Apart from being popular and crowded, how is the skiing at Zermatt in
the summer?

Well personally I think it sucks badly in the winter, so go figger.

Lift system is not well thought out so that to get to the top of the
glacier takes 3 lifts and at least an hour with no skiing between them.
When you get to the top it's a bleak windswept plain that's fairly flat
(so might suit your stage of learning). There's some good off piste, but
there's crevasse danger so you probably need a guide.
I won't be going back !

This is one disgruntled guy's opinion. Zermatt in winter is not as extensive
or as well linked as the big French resorts, but it is still huge with
plenty of skiing for all tastes. And unbeatable for scenery.

In summer, the glacier area has indeed some pretty flat bits, but the runs
either side of the Plateau Rosa lift certainly deserve their red grade.

Best November skiing in Europe? John Ricketts European Ski Resorts 39 April 22nd 04 05:33 AM
South America Magnum626 Snowboarding 0 March 24th 04 08:24 AM
Questions from a new skiing family Rich Heimlich General 11 March 2nd 04 02:46 PM
Snowboarding or skiing? Joe Ramirez Snowboarding 53 February 11th 04 12:23 PM
Summer Skiing in the Pyrenees David Off European Ski Resorts 1 August 25th 03 11:20 AM