Snowboard suggestions for heavy guys?

Old November 21st 05, 08:33 PM

Default Snowboard suggestions for heavy guys?

Greetings,

Getting ready for my first full season of snowboarding - I started when
a friend took me late last season, and kept going. I was able to make
7-8 days on the slopes before moving away from the snow. Fortunately,
I have identified several hills in the area that market themselves as
"ski resorts".

This season, I'm looking at purchasing some gear, instead of renting
all the time. I have already purchased a pair of boots (Salomon
Synapse Wide), and am looking for board suggestions for a
learner/intermediate all-mountain/freeride board designed for larger
riders.

I'm 5'10", and weigh around 250lbs, but I shouldn't need a wide board,
as my feet are US size 9.5 wide (Mondo 27.5, according to Salomon).
What I'm looking right now is some suggestions on boards / bindings
that I can take to a demo day to test out. Since I have the wide
boots, are there any specific suggestions for bindings, or is the
actual outside width of the regular boot and wide boot the same?

Old November 21st 05, 09:38 PM

Get a wide board just the same.
Your boot size doesn't need wide, but your weight needs to float over
whatever powder there is (the best snowboarding is done in powder), you
need stiffer than most peeps.
Prolly RideFleetwood, wide and cheap.
Use XL bindings if you have a high arch + wide feet.

Old November 22nd 05, 02:24 AM

nicotine wrote:

This season, I'm looking at purchasing some gear, instead of renting
all the time. I have already purchased a pair of boots (Salomon
Synapse Wide), and am looking for board suggestions for a
learner/intermediate all-mountain/freeride board designed for larger
riders.

I'm 5'10", and weigh around 250lbs, but I shouldn't need a wide board,
as my feet are US size 9.5 wide (Mondo 27.5, according to Salomon).
What I'm looking right now is some suggestions on boards / bindings
that I can take to a demo day to test out.

My suggestion would be a Donek Wide 161/165. It is a mid-wide board
(not as wide as a true wide board) with a stiffness that is made for
big riders. Best thing to do is to call up Sean Martin at Donek
(www.donek.com) to setup a free demo (you just need to wax it and ship
it back to him in the same box). What better way to decide if you like
the board than trying it out on the slopes for a few days?

Old November 22nd 05, 07:41 AM

"LeeD" wrote

Your boot size doesn't need wide, but your weight needs to float over
whatever powder there is (the best snowboarding is done in powder), you
need stiffer than most peeps.

I don't get it. Got same boot size (US 9.5, 27.5 mondo-cm) and for years
I was going with the flow and using regular boards. Then tried a "mid-fat"
board (26cm waist) and only then I fugured out that heel-side wash-outs
and general frustration in certain conditions was just because there was
too much overhang in the boots/bindings.

Now I ride a really wide board (271mm waist) and couldn't be happier.

I can see how a wide board is not adding anythin for a park rat or the
typical side-slipper kind of "boarder". But if you're into steeps, bumps
and general freeriding and not using extreme binding angles I just don't
understand how is it possible to not get heel/toe drag on anything but
firm, groomed blue runs if you're really putting the board at a good angle
while carving. Same thing goes for irregular steep terrain, even more
so actually, esp. when it's been well tracked out. It's firm enough to
blow you off the edge but soft enough to let the board sink in if you push
it. Without a wide board, I get very frustrated in conditions like that.

Old November 22nd 05, 01:37 PM

First of all, I am not trying to start a flame war here. I just take
exception to some of the generalities made here, and am just trying to help.

You may have had to much overhang with your particular setup, thereby
causing you problems. But some overhang is normal and in many cases
optimal. With 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch overhang on each side, you can carve
well over 45 degrees without interference. Yes, if you carve way over 45
degrees, you need a setup for that. But these types are usually hard
booter's with angles that rarely get in the way.

A board that washes out easily is usually indicative of to much rider
weight for the board. There are all sorts of legitimate answers to such
a problem, which is why things seem to get un-needly complex. Width,
length, and board composition all factor into this. So it is very
difficult to give a general answer.

A set of extremes to illustrate such a point would be say a hard boot
set up vs a park board. I have seen 155cm boards with a waist that was
in the 18cm range built so stout, it could easily handle a 250 lbs rider
on hardpack. Yet, a soft 161 foam core park style board would wash out
under the riders weight.

My suggestion is demo some appropriate equipment combinations, find what
works for you and the conditions you are going to be spending most of
your time with (Hardpack, powder, tree's, park, etc.).

Regards,

Chris

"LeeD" wrote

Old November 22nd 05, 04:55 PM

Christopher Cox wrote:

You may have had to much overhang with your particular setup, thereby
causing you problems. But some overhang is normal and in many cases
optimal. With 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch overhang on each side, you can carve
well over 45 degrees without interference. Yes, if you carve way over 45
degrees, you need a setup for that. But these types are usually hard
booter's with angles that rarely get in the way.

With that much overhang, maybe you'll see contact if you're testing your
board on a flat surface. But the snow is not flat and furthermore if
it's soft you'll dig in, so I think you'll get some drag. I don't
understand why anyone would want any overhang at all, ever. OTOH the
only time most soft booters see an inclination approaching 45 degrees is
when they're skidding down the hill on their heel edge on a slope that's
too steep for them.

Neil
Old November 22nd 05, 05:20 PM

You DO need some overhand on freestyle gear if you want to be able to
edge.
Run a straightedge from the board's edges up to toe of boot on the
toeside, then from the edge of board to the back of the binding on the
heelside.
A good general rule is if it's steeper than 45 degrees, you can ride
OK. If it's shallower than about 25 degrees, you will get drag.
If you're good enough to know exactly when you drag, disregard this
post....because you already know!
Look at peeple with little feet, like size 6's, and see their toes
and highback don't stick out past their board's edge. Look at how they
can't carve, instead sliding on their turns.
Little feet need narrower boards, big feet wider, but combine heavy
weight with medium feet, you still need wide board so you can enjoy
riding powder, the best of snowboarding....

Old November 22nd 05, 05:36 PM

LeeD wrote:
You DO need some overhand on freestyle gear if you want to be able to
edge.

Why on earth do you need overhang?

Neil
Old November 22nd 05, 05:37 PM

You DO need some overhand on freestyle gear if you want to be able to
edge.

I don't agree. I tried setting my Catek Freeride bidnings up on my Donek
wide such that I had no overhang, no underhang. I was railing it just
fine - better than fine, as a matter of fact. The only problem I ran into
was my boots flexing on an axis where they weren't stiff enough, so I backed
off on the angles a bit, giving me 3/8" overhang all around which is what I
usually prefer in softies. Much more than 3/8" and I start dragging my
boots in a hard carve.

Mike T

Old November 22nd 05, 05:59 PM

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:55:14 GMT, Neil Gendzwill
allegedly wrote:

OTOH the
only time most soft booters see an inclination approaching 45 degrees is
when they're skidding down the hill on their heel edge on a slope that's
too steep for them.

Oh come on Neil, that's harsh... yet mildly amusing, despite me being a
"soft booter".

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail