Opinions on BOA-type boots?

Old March 1st 05, 06:02 PM
Aegis

Alot of that depends on the riding you do. I am exclusively a
park-hound. I can't imagine trying to do jib stuff in buckled
hardboots. I have to assume that you are a recently converted skiier, a
downhiller with plate bindings, or that you have never actually ridden
a snowboard. What works for one sport doesn't necessarily work for the
other. If you are referring to GS type riding, then hardboots and
bindings are probably the way to go, but freestyle riding requires flex
to do it properly.

Old March 2nd 05, 12:30 AM
Chris J.

"Baka Dasai" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 09:18:43 -0700, Chris J. said (and I quote):
Actually it seems that ski boot technology is getting a snowbarding
influenced update as well. Take a look at the Rossignol soft series,

which
combine plastics and buckles with soft materials and lacing systems.

It's a gimmick, which is being driven by skiers wanting to look cool.
It's got nothing to do with the performance or convenience of the boot.
It's all about looks.

I'd agree it's not about performance.

The mainstream likes to be comfortable.

A softer boot is not more likely to be comfortable.

For the target audience it most likely is.

--
What was I thinking?

Old March 2nd 05, 01:11 PM
roah

I purchased the K2 T1 boots and have used them about 10 times thus far.
I couldn't be happier with them! Although I'm pretty new to the sport,
I definitely prefer the stiffer response and narrow foot profile the K2
provides. As far as the BOA system, I just love it. It's made my days
spent in snowboarding boots much more rewarding. I like being able to
release and retighten the BOA system without untying everything.
have a good day
roah

Old March 2nd 05, 04:50 PM
Chris J.

"Baka Dasai" wrote in message
On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 17:30:47 -0700, Chris J. said (and I quote):
"Baka Dasai" wrote in message
A softer boot is not more likely to be comfortable.

For the target audience it most likely is.

Only when walking, not when skiing. The stiffness of a boot really has
no effect on how comfortable it is when you're using it for its intended
purpose.

I know from personal experience with my Malamutes that this is not
necessarily true. After the first few days each season I get soreness on my
shins and calves from leaning into these things. It goes away after awhile,
either from my body adapting or the boots softening up - I don't know. I
never had this problem with the softer Burtons I used to ride in. If I
didn't ride a lot and enjoy the performace gains I'd probably hate the
Malamutes.

Though I guess you could say that the intended purpose of such a boot is
to be seen walking around in it.

I'm not sure about the poseur aspect of this, but I do suspect that being
able to walk around more comfortably appeals to a lot of people.

Anyway, I'm no expert on ski boots. All I know is that I have one friend
wearing these Rossi boots now, and I've spoken to a handful of skiers I've
ridden chairs with that were wearing them, and the comments are all the
same - they're the most comfortable ski boots they've ever worn.

Chris

--
What was I thinking?