T. Patrick was not Irish

Old March 7th 15, 06:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default T. Patrick was not Irish

This is the time of the year when I remind everyone that Saint Patrick
was not Irish, he was Roman.

Two Latin letters survive which are generally accepted to have been
written by Patrick. These are the Declaration (Latin: Confessio) and
the Letter to the soldiers of Coroticus (Latin: Epistola). The
Declaration is the more important of the two. In it Patrick gives a
short account of his life and his mission. His parents were
Calphurnius and Conchessa. The former belonged to a Roman family of
high rank and held the office of decurio in Gaul or Britain. Conchessa
was a near relative of the great patron of Gaul, St Martin of Tours.
In or about his sixteenth year, Patrick was carried into captivity by
marauders and was sold as a slave to an Irish chieftan named Milchu in
Dalriada, an area in present-day county Antrim.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe
Old March 8th 15, 12:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Saturday, March 7, 2015 at 10:44:38 AM UTC-8, wrote:
This is the time of the year when I remind everyone that Saint Patrick
was not Irish, he was Roman.

Two Latin letters survive which are generally accepted to have been
written by Patrick. These are the Declaration (Latin: Confessio) and
the Letter to the soldiers of Coroticus (Latin: Epistola). The
Declaration is the more important of the two. In it Patrick gives a
short account of his life and his mission. His parents were
Calphurnius and Conchessa. The former belonged to a Roman family of
high rank and held the office of decurio in Gaul or Britain. Conchessa
was a near relative of the great patron of Gaul, St Martin of Tours.
In or about his sixteenth year, Patrick was carried into captivity by
marauders and was sold as a slave to an Irish chieftan named Milchu in
Dalriada, an area in present-day county Antrim.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe

And St. Nicholas was Turkish.

But the Easter Bunny is full-blooded American.

At least the chocolate ones are.
Old March 8th 15, 03:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Saturday, March 7, 2015 at 5:26:27 PM UTC-7, Richard Henry wrote:
[...]

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe

And St. Nicholas was Turkish.

But the Easter Bunny is full-blooded American.

At least the chocolate ones are.

Some justice in easter falling on April Fools Day, don't you think?
Old March 8th 15, 04:04 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sat, 7 Mar 2015 19:45:50 -0800 (PST), pigo
wrote this crap:

And St. Nicholas was Turkish.

But the Easter Bunny is full-blooded American.

At least the chocolate ones are.

Some justice in easter falling on April Fools Day, don't you think?

April Fool's Day is on a Wednesday. (Thought you could fool me?)

Old March 8th 15, 03:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

wrote this crap:

And St. Nicholas was Turkish.

But the Easter Bunny is full-blooded American.

At least the chocolate ones are.

Some justice in easter falling on April Fools Day, don't you think?

April Fool's Day is on a Wednesday. (Thought you could fool me?)

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe

Hmmmm? So I see? I had just heard that and thought it was funny. So now I guess that there are TWO April Fools Days! :-)
Old March 8th 15, 04:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

wrote this crap:

And St. Nicholas was Turkish.

But the Easter Bunny is full-blooded American.

At least the chocolate ones are.

Some justice in easter falling on April Fools Day, don't you think?

April Fool's Day is on a Wednesday. (Thought you could fool me?)

Hmmmm? So I see? I had just heard that and thought it
was funny. So now I guess that there are TWO April Fools Days! :-)

But what does that have to do with St. Patrick?

St. Nicholas was fictional and so is the Easter Bunny.

Old March 8th 15, 04:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Sunday, March 8, 2015 at 10:02:09 AM UTC-6, wrote:

St. Nicholas was fictional and so is the Easter Bunny.

I think that there was a St. Nicholas? I went to a church once in Maastrict in The Netherlands that had grown one on top of the other for centuries into the giant one that I entered. But you could wind down into the original ancient one to a tomb that I remember as that of St. Nicholas. I'd have to look back at it to remember exactly though.

Old March 8th 15, 05:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sun, 8 Mar 2015 09:46:00 -0700 (PDT), pigo
wrote this crap:

On Sunday, March 8, 2015 at 10:02:09 AM UTC-6, wrote:

St. Nicholas was fictional and so is the Easter Bunny.

I think that there was a St. Nicholas? I went to a church once in Maastrict in
The Netherlands that had grown one on top of the other for centuries
into the giant one that I entered. But you could wind down into the
original ancient one to a tomb that I remember as that of St. Nicholas.
I'd have to look back at it to remember exactly though.

I stand corrected. I was getting confused with Santa Claus. (I blame
the time change.) I checked with my Lives of the Saints. There were
actually TWO St. Nicholas'. One is the traditional one we celebrate
on Dec. 6, but he was not from the Netherlands. He is entombed in St.
Stephen's Church in Italy. And one is St. Nicholas of Tolentine.

Old March 8th 15, 08:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Sunday, March 8, 2015 at 11:35:57 AM UTC-6, wrote:

Yes. Santa Clause is on a par with the easter bunny or god. Is one of the Saints you mention the one in Maastrict. Sinterklaas is Dec. 5.

Old March 9th 15, 12:48 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sun, 8 Mar 2015 13:28:39 -0700 (PDT), pigo
wrote this crap:

On Sunday, March 8, 2015 at 11:35:57 AM UTC-6, wrote:

Yes. Santa Clause is on a par with the easter bunny or god. Is one of the Saints
you mention the one in Maastrict. Sinterklaas is Dec. 5.

No, the Saint Nicholas you know is from Asia Minor and Emperor
Justinian built a cathedral for him in Constantinople. And the other
is from Italy. Dec 5th is St. Sabbas day.