Eastern US/Canada Loppet selection

Old April 12th 11, 02:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Gabby

Default Eastern US/Canada Loppet selection

I am looking for a marathon, skate or classic, in the Eastern U.S. and
Canada for next winter. This would be my first marathon. I would
prefer a less easier course for a first time, both technically and
climbing wise. Below are the races I am considering and my thoughts.
Any input would be appreciated. If there are any other races I should
consider, that would be great too.

I have eliminated Lake Placid after talking to several people that
have done it. Course sounds pretty tough.

Craftsbury -Can't find a course profile online, reading some race
reports indicate there are some challenging downhills. Drive not bad.
Early in season, would prefer to do some shorter races before the
marathon.

Gatineau -Course profile is appealing, loss of elevation in second
half of
race. This is the closest race for me. Downside, temperature can be
frigid.

Rangeley -Course profile looks challenging, although times seemed to
be pretty fast. Long drive.

Bretton Woods -Can't find a profile, only reference to course I could
locate mentioned it is on the flatter side. Drive not bad.

Sugarloaf -From reading and talking to people, this is a very
challenging course. Long drive. Could make it a family vacation and
alpine ski @ Sugarloaf.

Old April 12th 11, 11:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
dwall

If you want a real challenge try the Canadian Ski Marathon....160km over
two days...And if your real hardy you can carry your tent and supplies
and sleep out overnight on the Saturday then ski the 80+km on
Sunday....A real challenge but not a race, just against the cutoff time
both days....http://www.csm-mcs.com/index2.html

Old April 15th 11, 10:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Ro

Gabby,
I like very much the Gatineau Loppet. The course is all right in all
conditions! An the ambiance is simply crazy. Being one of the two
North American Worldloppets brings many "outs(k)iders" from around the
world. It is something to live being part of such a crowd at the start
line. And if you have had not enough with the 50 K classic on
Saturday, you can do the 30 or 50 K freestyle the day after.
See you next February in Gatineau!
Rock