cleaning alternative

Old March 12th 04, 06:05 AM
Matthias Fischer

Default cleaning alternative

Hey there,

I'm some kinda new to the wax party and in need of some help, some
advice to stand the following situation:
I have to wax my ski, but somehow I forgot the wax remover somewhere
else. The town I'm currently staying ain't that involved in winter
sports, at least not in early March. So no store to find to get some
stuff; no time to order online. So I'm looking for sufficient
alternatives to be found in a well equipped household to get rid of the
old wax.

Any thoughts appreciated,

mfischer

Old March 12th 04, 11:13 AM
Rob Bradlee

Use a hair dryer and a paper towel.

Rob Bradlee

--- Matthias Fischer wrote:
Hey there,

I'm some kinda new to the wax party and in need of some help, some
advice to stand the following situation:
I have to wax my ski, but somehow I forgot the wax remover somewhere
else. The town I'm currently staying ain't that involved in winter
sports, at least not in early March. So no store to find to get some
stuff; no time to order online. So I'm looking for sufficient
alternatives to be found in a well equipped household to get rid of
the
old wax.

Any thoughts appreciated,

mfischer

=====
Rob Bradlee
Java, C++, Perl, XML, OOAD, Linux, and Unix Training

Old March 12th 04, 11:19 AM
Edward Dox

IF there is a decent bike shop, the citrus based solvents most sell do a
good job of removing wax.

Old March 12th 04, 11:32 AM
Marsh Jones

As a general rule, you shouldn't use wax remover. It strips everything
out of your base, and leaves a residue behind - even the good stuff.

Use your wax iron (or that old household iron if you dare) and 'hot
scrape' a layer of red or yellow. Then glide wax as normal.
If this is the kick zone, cover the kick zone with a layer of toilet
paper or fiberlene paper, warm it with your wax iron until the wax is
soaking into the paper and then quickly scrape it all off with one pass.
You may need to repeat this once. This works amazingly well to remove
klister, too.
Be very careful about 'citrus solvents'. Unless you are watchful, many
of them contain petroleum distillates as a base. These will prevent wax
from binding to the ski.

Marsh Jones
Minnesota

Old March 12th 04, 12:53 PM
Chris Pella

I use a low-scent varsol (paint solvent) that I get from one of our
local hardware stores. It works perfectly well and is a fraction of
the cost of commercial wax removers. I use one of those cheap foam
edging tools for painting to apply it and stick it in a sealed plastic
bag afterwards, then a $3 metal putty knife/spatula thingy to lift the
wax off if there is a large amount or if it is klister.

Old March 12th 04, 01:28 PM
Serge

Try charcoal lighter fluid.
Old March 12th 04, 04:12 PM
John Roden

I got some citris stuff at walmart called "goo gone" it is used for
general household cleaning. It is very inexpensive and works just
fine

Old March 12th 04, 04:29 PM
Adalbert

naptha gas ( camp stove fuel ) is what I use
Old March 12th 04, 05:35 PM
TahoeXCSkier

Matthias Fischer wrote:

Hey there,

I'm some kinda new to the wax party and in need of some help, some
advice to stand the following situation:
I have to wax my ski, but somehow I forgot the wax remover somewhere
else. The town I'm currently staying ain't that involved in winter
sports, at least not in early March. So no store to find to get some
stuff; no time to order online. So I'm looking for sufficient
alternatives to be found in a well equipped household to get rid of the
old wax.

Any thoughts appreciated,

mfischer

Not sure if we are talking about waxless or waxable classic skis or
skate skis. For waxless skis or skate skis you can apply hotwax to
the base and wipe it off the ski base while while it is in a liquid
state. When the base cools down, brush it. Afterwards - apply wax of
the day.
Another way would be using brass or copper brush.
Citrus solvents are ok too, but some of them do leave residue on the
base. I am highly suspicious of solvents and prefer using hotwax
method when bases are really dirty.
As far as I know, solvents are the only way to properly remove grip
wax from kick zone of classic waxable skis. I don't know much about
that as I only use waxless skis for classic skiing.
Old March 12th 04, 07:00 PM
Griss

"Matthias Fischer" wrote in message
Hey there,

I'm some kinda new to the wax party and in need of some help, some
advice to stand the following situation:
I have to wax my ski, but somehow I forgot the wax remover somewhere
else. The town I'm currently staying ain't that involved in winter
sports, at least not in early March. So no store to find to get some
stuff; no time to order online. So I'm looking for sufficient
alternatives to be found in a well equipped household to get rid of the
old wax.

My favorites

For glide wax, clean with a "hot scrape" of a soft wax (e.g. Swix CH 10 or
similar).

For kick wax - First remove most by either heating with hairdryer/heat gun
and wipe clean and/or scrape with a normal plastic scraper. Scraping works
best if the skis are cold.

Follow by carefully wiping / scrubbing with a solvent (several already
suggested). If you're truely looking for an effective household product
that will remove remaining sticky residue - use rubbing alcohol. One of the
favorite base cleaners I ever had was a little sponge-top dispenser of Cerax
base cleaner - I really believe it was mostly or all alcohol because that's
what it smelled like. I really don't think alcohol leaves any residue, and
I never detected any damage.

Right now I'm using a little spray bottle of Holmenkol base cleaner. It
smells and feels more like a petrolium distilate, kind of like mineral
spirits. But it also leaves no residue.

North Face Jackets - cleaning & restoring waterproofing?? copek Snowboarding 8 November 18th 16 10:41 AM
Snowboard Cleaning BreakAndEnter Snowboarding 1 July 25th 04 09:48 PM
Cleaning base? Johnny K Snowboarding 3 February 3rd 04 08:15 PM
down-kick in striding + an alternative Ken Roberts Nordic Skiing 0 December 24th 03 01:46 PM
How cleaning snowpants (pee)? Marc Snowboarding 5 October 10th 03 06:56 PM