Spearthrowing technique...

Old December 5th 03, 07:38 PM
Jeff Potter

Default Spearthrowing technique...

You know I'm a technique buff, so I just had a spearthrowing breakthru
that I thought I'd share. Uh. For what good it'll do. Maybe it has
cross-training benefits for, uh, snowball throwing? Bet so! Get those
snowboarders! Anyway, here's the spearthrowing tech tip of the day...

Assume normal throwing stance with offleg forward, offhand forward,
throwing arm and hand back, spear point near head, pointing downrange to
target, elevated appropriately for distance. If more power is desired,
keep offleg back then step forward with it as you throw. Now here's the
trick: keep your throwing hand close to your face as you power it on
past! This tends to result in the elbow pointing outward, but it snaps
in and down to finish. But the main thing is that the hand powers past
the face, kinda near your eye as you throw the spear. Then as you finish
the throw your hand should be right in your line of sight, that is,
before your head twists out of the way. You can't really keep your 'eye
on the ball' the whole time. This might introduce a twist to bring the
sport out beyond the skill-range of golfers, sadly. But if done this way
the spear hits the target!

Spears don't like sidearm throws at all. Or any throw or part of a throw
not lined up with the original line of sight. A deviated throw, along
with something like not having the point lined up with the target before
the throw, results in a miss and usually not even a stick---the spear
ends up hitting the target sideways, not flying straight.

Spears do pretty much hit where you look but the throw has to take place
along the line of sight or very close to it.

Apply to other forms of throwing as it fits.

I've been telemarketing the past week---Pete's ski book to snow-state
shops. I'm batting a thousand! I think I've sold something like 30
straight shops. I lose track. It gets bleery. The only hard part is
tracking down the boss. It's weird coz none of them hardly responded to
my flier, but they all order when I call. But it's hard for a computer
geek with kids in the house and book editing coming and going to settle
into calling. It's a real gear-change. ...Spearthrowing gets in the way,
too.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old December 5th 03, 08:10 PM
Chris Cline

--0-2065446099-1070654438=:47739

so, how well does this technique work with ski poles? And, if you pitch an early 90's skate ski, does that count as "javelin tossing"? ;- )

Jeff Potter wrote:
[...]

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
--0-2065446099-1070654438=:47739

DIVso, how well does this technique work with ski poles?  And, if you pitch an early 90's skate ski, does that count as "javelin tossing"? ;- )/DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVCBRBRBIJeff Potter >/I/B wrote:/DIV
BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"You know I'm a technique buff, so I just had a spearthrowing breakthruBRthat I thought I'd share. Uh. For what good it'll do. Maybe it hasBRcross-training benefits for, uh, snowball throwing? Bet so! Get thoseBRsnowboarders! Anyway, here's the spearthrowing tech tip of the day...BRBRAssume normal throwing stance with offleg forward, offhand forward,BRthrowing arm and hand back, spear point near head, pointing downrange toBRtarget, elevated appropriately for distance. If more power is desired,BRkeep offleg back then step forward with it as you throw. Now here's theBRtrick: keep your throwing hand close to your face as you power it onBRpast! This tends to result in the elbow pointing outward, but it snapsBRin and down to finish. But the main thing is that the hand powers pastBRthe face, kinda near your eye as you throw the spear. Then as you finishBRth!
e throw
your hand should be right in your line of sight, that is,BRbefore your head twists out of the way. You can't really keep your 'eyeBRon the ball' the whole time. This might introduce a twist to bring theBRsport out beyond the skill-range of golfers, sadly. But if done this wayBRthe spear hits the target!BRBRSpears don't like sidearm throws at all. Or any throw or part of a throwBRnot lined up with the original line of sight. A deviated throw, alongBRwith something like not having the point lined up with the target beforeBRthe throw, results in a miss and usually not even a stick---the spearBRends up hitting the target sideways, not flying straight.BRBRSpears do pretty much hit where you look but the throw has to take placeBRalong the line of sight or very close to it.BRBRApply to other forms of throwing as it fits.BRBRI've been telemarketing the past week---Pete's ski book to snow-stateBRshops. I'm batting a thousand! I think I've sold som!
ething
like 30BRstraight shops. I lose track. It gets bleery. The only hard part isBRtracking down the boss. It's weird coz none of them hardly responded toBRmy flier, but they all order when I call. But it's hard for a computerBRgeek with kids in the house and book editing coming and going to settleBRinto calling. It's a real gear-change. ...Spearthrowing gets in the way,BRtoo.BRBR--BRBRJeff PotterBR****BR*Out Your Backdoor * http://www.outyourbackdoor.comBRpublisher of outdoor/indoor do-it-yourself culture...BR...offering "small world" views on bikes, bows, books, movies...BR...rare books on ski, bike, boat culture, plus a Gulf Coast thrillerBRabout smalltown smuggling ... more radical novels coming up!BR...original downloadable music ... and articles galore!BRplus national "Off the Beaten Path" travel forums! HOLY SMOKES!BRBRBRBRBRBR/BLOCKQUOTEphr SIZE=1
Do you Yahoo!?br
a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/slv/mailtag/*http://companion.yahoo.com/"Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now/a
--0-2065446099-1070654438=:47739--

Old December 5th 03, 09:17 PM
Jeff Potter

Jarvinen toss!

Chris Cline wrote:

if you pitch an early 90's skate ski, does that count as "javelin tossing"? ;- )

--

Jeff Potter
****
*Out Your Backdoor * http://www.outyourbackdoor.com
publisher of outdoor/indoor do-it-yourself culture...
...offering "small world" views on bikes, bows, books, movies...
...rare books on ski, bike, boat culture, plus a Gulf Coast thriller
about smalltown smuggling ... radical novels coming up!
...original downloadable music ... and articles galore!
plus national travel forums! HOLY SMOKES! 800-763-6923

Old December 5th 03, 09:47 PM
George Cleveland

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 14:38:06 -0500, Jeff Potter
wrote:

[...]

Spearthrowing+classical skiing=biathlon for the manly man (and womanly
woman)!

g.c.
Old December 5th 03, 09:52 PM
Chris Cline

--0-172327073-1070660962=:46419

exactly!

Jeff Potter wrote:Jarvinen toss!

Chris Cline wrote:

if you pitch an early 90's skate ski, does that count as "javelin tossing"? ;- )

--

Jeff Potter
****
*Out Your Backdoor * http://www.outyourbackdoor.com
publisher of outdoor/indoor do-it-yourself culture...
...offering "small world" views on bikes, bows, books, movies...
...rare books on ski, bike, boat culture, plus a Gulf Coast thriller
about smalltown smuggling ... radical novels coming up!
...original downloadable music ... and articles galore!
plus national travel forums! HOLY SMOKES! 800-763-6923

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
--0-172327073-1070660962=:46419

BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"Jarvinen toss!BRBRChris Cline wrote:BRBR> if you pitch an early 90's skate ski, does that count as "javelin tossing"? ;- )BRBR--BRBRJeff PotterBR****BR*Out Your Backdoor * http://www.outyourbackdoor.comBRpublisher of outdoor/indoor do-it-yourself culture...BR...offering "small world" views on bikes, bows, books, movies...BR...rare books on ski, bike, boat culture, plus a Gulf Coast thrillerBRabout smalltown smuggling ... radical novels coming up!BR...original downloadable music ... and articles galore!BRplus national travel forums! HOLY SMOKES! 800-763-6923BRBRBRBRBRBR/BLOCKQUOTE/DIVphr SIZE=1

Old December 6th 03, 03:15 AM
Scott Elliot

Jeff, I think that all those javelin throwers who have spent a lifetime
working on technique are going to be disappointed that you have re-written
the training manual. Back to the basics for them.

Scott Elliot
http://www3.telus.net/selliot/

.. .

Old December 8th 03, 02:48 AM
Jeff Potter

Yes, I've seen some official websites on this sport. However... What I
described has little relation to the sport of DISTANCE javelin throwing. Note
as per my instructive post that my sport is SPEAR throwing for ACCURACY at a
target. I wish the Olympic track'n'field javelin throw people all the best.
You know, their sport involves a run-up. Way too much coordination for me. As
I said, some of the lessons I've learned with spearthrowing might apply to
snowball throwing, but probably not much else. Actually, I did try to get
good at the javelin throw a few years back and made my own javelin (not a
spear) and kinda figured out the official style. It was pretty fun and a good
workout, for distance. My new sport is about hitting a target on a hay bale.
With skis it would be a new kind of biathlon. Of course. You can't do a
run-up with skis on, now can you. : ) My sport only requires a dozen spears
(trimmed maple saplings) for lots of fun. Doesn't need much room. Hey, I
forgot to mention the optimal range! I find that 10-20 yards is about it, for
accuracy. With my sport, you can add a little step to add power but otherwise
it doesn't require much coordination.

Old December 8th 03, 03:02 AM
George Cleveland

Scott Elliot wrote:

Jeff, I think that all those javelin throwers who have spent a lifetime
working on technique are going to be disappointed that you have re-written
the training manual. Back to the basics for them.

--

Jeff Potter
****
*Out Your Backdoor * http://www.outyourbackdoor.com
publisher of outdoor/indoor do-it-yourself culture...
...offering "small world" views on bikes, bows, books, movies...
...rare books on ski, bike, boat culture, plus a Gulf Coast thriller
about smalltown smuggling ... radical novels coming up!
...original downloadable music ... and articles galore!
plus national travel forums! HOLY SMOKES! 800-763-6923

And if every station was stocked with identical, standardized spears, then
one; you wouldn't have to carry one around while skiing the course and two;
every body would be tossing the exact same piece of equipment. No advantage
for the wealthier types, with their custom made and balanced pig stickers.

The more I think about this the more I like it. Will atlatls be
allowed/provided?

g.c.
Old December 8th 03, 03:53 PM
Jeff Potter

George Cleveland wrote:

And if every station was stocked with identical, standardized spears, then
one; you wouldn't have to carry one around while skiing the course and two;
every body would be tossing the exact same piece of equipment. No advantage
for the wealthier types, with their custom made and balanced pig stickers.

Now this would be funny. Must be a parallel universe where the Backyard Paradigm
has taken over.

My throwing set-up at present includes several small, light spears to warm up
with---you gotta watch straining the arm. I wouldn't throw more than 10 times to
start, and not hard and not with bigger spears. I suspect it's one of the easiest
injuries to get. ...So don't forget the warm-up spears.

The more I think about this the more I like it. Will atlatls be
allowed/provided?

Well, atlatls are introducing the kind of complexity that might be the beginning
of the end of the neighborhood. The next thing you know we'll have a MOVING PART!

Atlatls are cool, and I know they're actually catching on, they're a growing
sport, with leagues sprouting up, but spears are enough for some of us.

With an atlatl you throw a measly 'dart' about 20 yds and can hit a paper plate
quite readily. A spear is a satisfying two-pound item, what, 8 feet long. It's
quite a bit harder to hit a plate at 20 yds but not THAT much harder...and they
pack a LOT bigger wallop, often going right thru the hay bale and pinning it to
the ground. Nice.

OK, I admit it, I might get sucked into atlatls someday (I have a gorgeous busted
osage selfbow that would make a fine thrower), but we have to be careful about
this kind of thing...

Didja know what the best atlatl throwers are using these days? Elite, high-tech
CARBON throwers and darts! Aaaeeeiii! Of course I could show up and exert a
corrective influence on them... When I learned how to throw with the gang the
other day they raised their eyebrows at my all-on-the-plate grouping with
borrowed low-tech (wood) equipment...

--

Jeff Potter
****