Slightly off topic

Old December 2nd 03, 02:56 PM
taywood

Default Slightly off topic

My friends are looking for a location for a downhill ski vacation
over the New Year period, and they seek a modern resort such
as Banff and close to an airport they could reach with a UK flight.

Does anybody have a suggestion for an area or comments on the
likely snow conditions they could expect at that time
Thanks
Mike
Old December 2nd 03, 05:06 PM
Tommy T.

I've snowboarded and tele'd over 70 North American resorts in the last 18
years. I've sampled at least some of the ski areas in every North American
region except Alaska. Email me, or have your friends email me, at

thomas dot w dot taylor at att dot net,

with the obvious fixes to the "dots" and the "at," with some information
about date range, price range, ability estimates and desire for things like
back country, night life, and preferred lodging style and I'll try to give
you a helpful set of opinions with stated reasons. All of the information
requested is important. What's good in May is very different from what's
good in February; prices for major resort packages cover a multiple of at
least 3X for about the same on-snow experience; cornice jumping and groomer
cruising aren't entirely incompatible but some resorts do one better and
some the other; the amenities and setting are important too -- if you hate
Las Vegas, South Tahoe may not be the best place to stay but, if you want to
disco all night, a cabin at Snowshoe, WV may not be ideal either.

Tommy T.

Old December 2nd 03, 08:50 PM
taywood

Tommy T. wrote:
I've snowboarded and tele'd over 70 North American resorts in the
last 18 years. I've sampled at least some of the ski areas in every
North American region except Alaska. Email me, or have your friends
email me, at

Thanks Thomas
I've passed on your offer.
They need to book a flight now to secure seats over the
New Year period.
Its only off topic in the sense that they didnt invite me along
to a location with Nordic trails nearby.
Mike

Old December 3rd 03, 01:06 PM
taywood

Job closed. Flight now booked. Dont know the details yet.

Looks like they've settled on their first choice of Banff area,
its a place they know well, so they probably got a discounted
flight to Calgary.

Thanks everyone