Anyone have any opinions about these skis on sale?

Old October 31st 03, 11:25 PM
Lew Lasher

Default Anyone have any opinions about these skis on sale?

Sierra Trading Post has, among others, the following (waxable,
non-skating) skis on sale:

Karhu Tuvak $80
Karhu Mauja $80
Fischer Inbound $120
Fischer Superlight Sport $140
Fischer Sport Glass $75

Prices do not include $10 shipping.

I'm thinking of getting a pair of either the Karhu Mauja or Fischer
Sport Glass skis. My intended use is for mostly on groomed trails, with
occasional use on ungroomed trails. This would be to replace a pair of
Fischer Country skis from about 10 years ago.

Does anyone have any opinion about these skis? Also, does anyone know
how to choose a ski length for mail order skis?

Thanks for any clues.

Lew Lasher
Cambridge, Massachusetts and Stowe, Vermont

Old November 1st 03, 02:32 AM
Chequama Mama

I don't have any opinions about those skis, sorry.

However, I believe that in the current catalog, and maybe online, they
provide weight ranges (in kilograms) to go with each length. This will
be a bit of a rough approximation, as I doubt that they flex test each
pair to make sure that it is valid, but it should be a good guide.

Let me know if you need numbers from the catalog, I think mine is still
kicking around here somewhere.

Paul

Old November 1st 03, 03:16 AM
Lew Lasher

I followed Paul "Chequama"'s advice and looked at the manufacturer's Web
sites.

The Karhu site had a series of different sizing charts for different kinds
of skis. The particular models being offered by Sierra Trading Post appear
to have been discontinued, but I assume that they follow the "traditional"
sizing chart. The Fischer models are described on the Fischer Web site as
being "short cut", which they define as 7 cm shorter than traditional
sizing. My old Fischer skis are size 205, so I'm going to go for 198 cm
this time. I'm already looking forward to the additional spaciousness that
I anticipate perceiving on existing trails.

The Sierra Trading Post Web site indicated that the Fischer Sport Glass skis
were in short supply, so it remains to be seen whether they will in fact be
able to sell me a pair.

Old November 1st 03, 03:19 AM
Lew Lasher

I followed Paul "Chequama"'s advice and looked at the manufacturers' Web
sites.

The Karhu site had a series of different sizing charts for different
classifications of skis. The particular models being offered by Sierra

Old November 1st 03, 03:36 AM
Lew Lasher

The 198 cm size is no longer listed on the Sierra Trading Post site, so I might
have just made it. Or perhaps not.

Old November 1st 03, 01:43 PM
Serge

Lew Lasher wrote in message ...
Sierra Trading Post has, among others, the following (waxable,
non-skating) skis on sale:

So, those are classic waxable skis.

Whatever the sale price is, they require expert touch - wax, klister,
wax pocket cleaning and such.

Even racers use no-wax (fish scale) at times to avoid the hassle.

I thought you would be curious to know that.