Ski Boot Forward Lean

Old October 7th 04, 10:09 AM
peter.creagh

Default Ski Boot Forward Lean

Hi

I have just bought new boots and noticed that they had greater forward lean
than my old boots meaning that
I had to be much further forward to be centred on the skis than my old
boots. Do different brands of boots have different amounts of lean or is
there a standard angle? My
old boots had adjustable lean but the new boots do not.
I am happy with the fit of the new boots but would like
to know of ideas to lessen the angle of lean? My old boot
was Dachstien Pro 99 and the new boot Technica Icon ALU.
Any advice appreciated

Peter

Old October 7th 04, 01:05 PM
larry

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 23:09:03 +1300, peter.creagh wrote:

Hi

I have just bought new boots and noticed that they had greater forward lean
than my old boots meaning that
I had to be much further forward to be centred on the skis than my old
boots. Do different brands of boots have different amounts of lean or is
there a standard angle? My
old boots had adjustable lean but the new boots do not.
I am happy with the fit of the new boots but would like
to know of ideas to lessen the angle of lean? My old boot
was Dachstien Pro 99 and the new boot Technica Icon ALU.
Any advice appreciated

Peter

Race boots tend to be set aggressively more forward. Higher performance
but not fun in lift lines.

lars
Old October 7th 04, 04:21 PM
F. Plant

"peter.creagh" wrote in message
snip
I am happy with the fit of the new boots but would like
to know of ideas to lessen the angle of lean? My old boot
was Dachstien Pro 99 and the new boot Technica Icon ALU.
Any advice appreciated

If it has a removable spoiler in the back of the boot cuff, removing it will
give a more vertical stance.

F.Plant

Old October 7th 04, 09:14 PM
sjjohnston

"peter.creagh" wrote in message
Hi

I have just bought new boots and noticed that they had greater forward
lean
than my old boots meaning that
I had to be much further forward to be centred on the skis than my old
boots. Do different brands of boots have different amounts of lean or is
there a standard angle? My
old boots had adjustable lean but the new boots do not.
I am happy with the fit of the new boots but would like
to know of ideas to lessen the angle of lean? My old boot
was Dachstien Pro 99 and the new boot Technica Icon ALU.

Yes, boots vary a fair amount in how much forward lean they have. Some are
adjustable, and some aren't.

There are actually two components at work: (i) ramp angle - how tipped the
footbed is, i.e. how much higher the heel is than the tow (if at all) and
(ii) what's properly called forward lean - how bent the ankle is.

The former can be adjusted with shims or lifters inside the boot or under
the binding (also, note that different makes and models of bindings affect
the ramp angle differently). If you don't know what you're doing, I wouldn't
fool with this, but a ski shop can without too much trouble. It's usually
possible to address the latter, but with some boots it's a pretty
significant undertaking.

Old October 8th 04, 06:41 AM
peter.creagh

Thanks for the replies guys

I will experiment with your suggestions. I am optimistic
I will find a solution without having to get the bindings shimed as I would
imaginge such a mod could affect release.
Peter

Old October 8th 04, 12:34 PM
foot2foot

"peter.creagh" wrote in message
Hi

I have just bought new boots and noticed that they had greater forward

lean
than my old boots meaning that
I had to be much further forward to be centred on the skis than my old
boots. Do different brands of boots have different amounts of lean or is
there a standard angle? My
old boots had adjustable lean but the new boots do not.
I am happy with the fit of the new boots but would like
to know of ideas to lessen the angle of lean? My old boot
was Dachstien Pro 99 and the new boot Tecnica Icon ALU.
Any advice appreciated

Peter

The reason that they have more forward lean, being a more
advanced boot, is to provide the opportunity for more ankle
flex than a more upright, intermediate boot would allow.

This type of boot and the skiing it requires will work your
calves more than you've done before, as will skiing with
more ankle flex.

Perhaps it's not a problem, but an opportunity to begin to
explore skiing with more flex at the ankles, and less at the hips
and waist.Carving is all about ankle flex. Mogul skiing is all
about being quite a ways forward. Skiing is all about the most
effective blend of knee, waist and ankle flex, so you can place
your body where you want it fore or aft over the ski.

You might find that more ankle flex opens up a whole new
world of skiing for you that you never knew existed before.

It'll be a bit rough at first, but you'll get into shape for it before
long. If you're concerned, work on building up your calves
before the season starts. I wouldn't make any changes until I'd
fully experienced the nature of these boots, and was well
able to ski on them, like them or not. Perhaps it's best not to
make a change until mid season at least.

Forward lean isn't necessarily a bad thing, although the latest
"trend" seems to be a more upright stance. Of course, next
year the new trend will be something else. If they are new
boots, especially if they're Tecnica (PSIA sponsor) chances
are you have the "correct" amount of lean anyway.

Old October 8th 04, 03:49 PM
sjjohnston

"sjjohnston" wrote in message
... how much higher the heel is than the tow ...

Oops. I mean "toe," not "tow." If your heel is higher than the tow, you have
probably fallen.

Old October 8th 04, 03:58 PM
Walt

sjjohnston wrote:
"sjjohnston" wrote

... how much higher the heel is than the tow ...

Oops. I mean "toe," not "tow." If your heel is higher than the tow, you have
probably fallen.

Not necessarily. For me it usually means that I've taken the chairlift
up to the top and am looking down on the beginner slopes where the tows
are.

--
//-Walt
//